An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Please help, my cocker is alergic to something
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:19 pm 
Active Forum Member

My 8 yr old cocker continues to scratch her muzzle, her sides, & corn-cobs(biting) her hind legs & & if so to what? Is this an alergie related to food or season alergies? Should I change her food? Should I cut out all treats? I have been trying over the counter alergie meds & nothing works. getting very disgusted.

Post subject: Re: Please help, my cocker is alergic to something
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:20 pm 
Forum Legend

If you had this cocker for a while and not previously experienced allergies, you will just have to see what might be different in the neighborhood/yard. Have you used any new products on floors, furniture, grass? Is the City/County doing any weed mitigation where they may be spraying nearby? Have you changed food? The only other thing might be to go to an allergist and get some tests done.
I'm sorry you have to deal with this. It can be quite tedious and miserable for all.

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:23 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Let's see if we can't help you, and your pup. You say your dog is eight ... Have you had her all that time, or how long has she been with you? If a rescue, has she been with you for a full four seasons? Was there any sign of itching before Dec? Has anything changed in her environment, like different food or treats, or new carpeting? A new bed? Are you using different cleaning supplies at home or new yard/lawn care products (I'm not sure what part of the country you are from)? Could she be being bitten by something? Any flea or flea eggs? All it takes is one flea bite to cause havoc with a dog allergic to fleas. Could she have picked up mites? Have you had your dog to a vet to rule out thyroid issues or some type of deficiency. We had a rescue dog for eight years with severe allergy/skin issues, so I know how terribly frustrating it can be. You said you don't want to use steroids, but if that's what it takes to give the poor thing some relief while you figure this out, it has to be so much better than the constant itching. Imagine itching and not being able to scratch. If you have a canine dermatologist nearby, they are worth their weight in gold and don't cost too much more than most vet office visits (at least here). I know I wish we had taken ours to an expert earlier. We worked constantly with our vets for a years with all kinds of tests before we found something that helped (far from a cure) once we got a dermatologist on board.

Quality, two-sided bandanas for your treasured companion.
Made in the
USA under the direct supervision of
Genuine American Cocker Spaniels!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:24 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

LOL, it looks like Terry and I were on the same track at the same time!

Quality, two-sided bandanas for your treasured companion.
Made in the
USA under the direct supervision of
Genuine American Cocker Spaniels!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:00 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi......I don't think it's mites. First off she very rarely goes outside, except to go to the Bathroom & I have another Dog in the House who show's no symptons at all to scratching or biting. I have had her back & forth to the Vet now numerous times & she has been checked quite thourgly for both Fleas & mites & she was found to have none. The Vet believes it's either seasonal alergies or an alergie now to her food. Casey is not a rescue Cocker, I purchased her back in 2006 from a Breeder & has occasionly caused Hot spots by licking or scratching certian parts of her body in the past, now something is really make her itch, becuase she doesn't want to let up when I try to remover her head from the area. I just had her to Vet on 3/20 for all her shots & I am bringing her to the Groomer this coming week. I have had to keep a cone on & off since the middle of Dec.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:18 am 
Forum Legend

Have you looked into PRIMAL FROZEN as before?

Store location near you: http://www.primalpetfoods.com/locator/index.php

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:20 pm 
Forum Legend

siblis wrote:
Hi......I don't think it's mites. First off she very rarely goes outside, except to go to the Bathroom & I have another Dog in the House who show's no symptons at all to scratching or biting. I have had her back & forth to the Vet now numerous times & she has been checked quite thourgly for both Fleas & mites & she was found to have none. The Vet believes it's either seasonal alergies or an alergie now to her food. Casey is not a rescue Cocker, I purchased her back in 2006 from a Breeder & has occasionly caused Hot spots by licking or scratching certian parts of her body in the past, now something is really make her itch, becuase she doesn't want to let up when I try to remover her head from the area. I just had her to Vet on 3/20 for all her shots & I am bringing her to the Groomer this coming week. I have had to keep a cone on & off since the middle of Dec.

James:
The mites are not visibal to the eye. My cocker had them and the only way I knew it was that I had hives wherever she touched my bare skin. I was allergic to the saliva of the mite. It took me an entire year and a dermatologist to determine the problem. I had here treated for fleas, then treated again 10 days later to get rid of any eggs that hatched. Also had to clean carpets, all bedding, wherever the dog was to get rid of the mites. No problem after that.
It sounds like you might need to move to the next level, an Allergist.

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:26 pm 
Forum Legend

Dr. Becker: How to Treat Allergies in Your Pet
by MercolaHealthyPets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s3DVkDhBXw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:59 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi.,....thanks for that youtube link, the video footage with the Vet explainging alergies is very informitive