The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Anyone here try Apoquel for itching?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:21 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi...Has anyone here tried Apoquel for itching? It seems that my 8 yr old Cocker has a severe itching problem going on since the end of December. I have tied switching food, shampoo & even over counter alergie meds with no luck. I don't want to use prednisone & I have to keep a cone on her while in the house so she doesn't start to damage any of her limbs. When I take her out, or she is at the groomers, or is distracted, she is fine.....please help.

Post subject: Re: Anyone here try Apoquel for itching?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:59 am 
Forum Legend

Hi James:

I have not heard of Apoquel, but am also curious if others have tried it. Do you think the itching might be behavioral or anxiety induced (since it just started in December and she's 8?) Maybe ask your vet about something to calm her since you've tried all of the obvious things that would cause itching - and if she's distracted she doesn't think about it. Just thinking out loud about it, but there are some herbal remedies that might help to keep her calm so she doesn't want to scratch herself. Please keep us posted if you try the Apoquel.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:08 am 
Forum Legend

Greg Martinez DVM

Uploaded on Feb 19, 2011

Cooking homemade dog food with healthy ingredients and less chemicals will help dogs with chronic medical conditions like itchy skin, ear infections, hotspots, nausea, diarrhea, seizures, and even urinary infections and bladder stones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEyMGIReFlg

Shampoos don't work, change of diet takes about a month. DIET is the best way.

If you don't have time to cook: http://www.primalpetfoods.com/locator/index.php try the lamb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:01 pm 
Forum Legend

Is she licking or scratching? I ask that question because I've recently learned that excessive licking can be a symptom of nausea, which in turn is a symptom of digestive/internal issues brewing. So if it is licking, please check in with your vet, and ask specifically about that. The more I read and understand, I'm thinking we attribute too many things to the "behavioral" category- most dogs just aren't that complicated!

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:08 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi.....Sometimes she will lick her front paws, but as of the middle to late Dec she seems to be scratching & corn-cobbing(biting) her sides or hind legs as though her skin is itchy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:44 pm 
Forum Legend

Ah, that sounds like she could have mites. It takes an incredibly good detective of a vet to find a mite to confirm that diagnosis. I've dealt with mites twice. The second time (different dog years after the first) I simply asked the vet if we could please treat with Ivermectin (not very expensive) without having to "confirm" first. We did, and it worked! The change in the dog's skin was visible, she had been covered in mites.

The other thing you can do is treat with a very short-acting flea-killer, Capstar. You can get it on Amazon very inexpensively. It will kill ALL fleas within a couple of hours. If the dog has a lot of fleas, you'll find a pile of dead fleas where they were sleeping. I'm suggesting it as a test, if the dog stops biting itself after Capstar treatment, you're probably dealing with fleas.

(It works for less than 24 hours. We used it a lot in rescue because almost every dog coming out of a shelter was covered in fleas, and nobody would foster a cocker known to have fleas. Isolate, Capstar, bathe, send out to foster home, worked like a charm.)

But my bet is on mites. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:58 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi......I don't think it's mites. First off she very rarely goes outside, except to go to the Bathroom & I have another Dog in the House who show's no symptons at all to scratching or biting. I have had her back & forth to the Vet now numerous times & she has been checked quite thourgly for both Fleas & mites & she was found to have none. The Vet believes it's either seasonal alergies or an alergie now to her food. Casey is not a rescue Cocker, I purchased her back in 2006 from a Breeder & has occasionly caused Hot spots by licking or scratching certian parts of her body in the past, now something is really make her itch, becuase she doesn't want to let up when I try to remover her head from the area. I just had her to Vet on 3/20 for all her shots & I am bringing her to the Groomer this coming week. I have had to keep a cone on & off since the middle of Dec.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:53 am 
Active Forum Member

I have never used the product, but I don't really believe a dog starts licking or chewing his feet out of boredom. I remember with my previous dog, and talking with a neighbor, and she was chewing and licking her paws, and my neighbor pointed it out to me and I said she was bored, that's all.When my dog was about 10, everything came crashing down, skin, ear, eye infections, it turned into a very costly situation, only to be told it was allergy issues, that were never acknowledged. The vet said it was systemic, and that it took a very long time to build up to get to that stage. It took a toll on her, and it took a toll on me and my pocketbook.
When getting Snickie, I put her on a limited ingredient diet, and went through all the protein sources to see if there were any problems. I suspected a lamb issue, but wasn't quite sure, because she also needs to be on a lower protein diet, but I change protein sources every six weeks, so I stayed away from it, until this past summer I wanted to revisit the issue to see, if lamb was an issue, and to make sure that it was low in protein, Snickie is not an itchy dog, so she was a god send compared to the previous dog. After a week or so on it she was scratching and licking and chewing her feet, drove me nuts. I went through the 5 pound bag, and took her off and put her on another protein source, and it took close to 8 weeks for the itchiness, licking and chewing of the feet to stop. I was beginning to wonder at the time if it was a lamb issue, but it finally subsided and she has been fine ever since.
When my previous dog was placed on special food from the vet, the trial was for 12 weeks. The vet said it would take that long to see if it would make a difference, which it did. Just the special food and no OTHER food. She also had environmental allergies, and a weekly bath or two would definitely help, yeah and sometimes a daily bath. You might want to ask your vet for a cortisone shampoo, that really stops the itches, and makes the skin and fur really soft
Check around the dogs nails and see if there is any yellow crusty stuff, it could be a yeast infection, these dogs are really prone to that too. I'm always checking around Snickie's nails, that was another problem of my previous dog.

Here is another video of Dr Greg talking about allergies, and yes I cook for Snickie, and if I don't have time she gets Stella's dehydrated raw, or Honest Kitchen topped on her kibble which these days is about half and half, and fish oil. Having been through this before, I am only trying to keep Snickie's immune system up so that I can eliminate any allergy issues, if I can.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtx49qoYpXc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:37 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi....Thanks for the reply. I have noticed her Fur to be very dry & flakey when you rub your hands over it....could it be a sign of dermatitis? I am taking her the groomers this week & bought special shampoo at the vets office so let's see how that goes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:43 pm 
Forum Legend

Just a couple of thoughts... I know you said the vet checked for mites, but dry and flaky skin sounds like "walking dandruff" i.e. cheyletiella mite. And I know you said your other dog isn't itchy; neither was mine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:01 pm 
Active Forum Member

Chris Gomes wrote:
Just a couple of thoughts... I know you said the vet checked for mites, but dry and flaky skin sounds like "walking dandruff" i.e. cheyletiella mite. And I know you said your other dog isn't itchy; neither was mine.

Chris,

Can you tell me more about these mites? I've never heard of them and our new rescue hasn't stopped itching since he moved in. We've treated him for fleas, he's on a grain free diet and I am almost positive he has seasonal allergies. His fur is dry but his skin looks fine to me and I don't notice any flaking. But the itching! He attacks himself and chews and chews and chews! Sometimes he bites so hard he squeals. The areas he attacks are up next to his nubbin, his hind legs and his wrists. I was planning to take him to the dog wash tomorrow and give him an oatmeal bath (which helped a little before) and rub him down with coconut oil -- which sounds like a disaster but we're desperate to stop the itching!

Thanks!

SHawn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:53 pm 
Forum Legend

One try organic apple cider vinegar 1/2 water the other 1/2 mixed vinegar, and rub it in let it sit for a while. I have used it STRAIGHT to remove ticks. It won't hurt the dog.

There's is a coconut oil shampoo called BRAZILIAN KERATIN THERAPHY human shampoo. Wallgreens, Rite Aid let it stay on the for dog ten minutes. Look that up. Some old posters wrote about it years ago but to straighten out the fur. Has COCONUT OIL, KERATIN PROTEINS, AVOCADO OIL, COCOA BUTTER.

Another try is Epsom salt bath let that soak in for a while.
My guess dogs lacking minerals in their diet, even add some Celtic sea salt in the drinking water.

Have a allergy test.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:26 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

MShawn wrote:
Chris Gomes wrote:

Chris,

Can you tell me more about these mites? I've never heard of them and our new rescue hasn't stopped itching since he moved in. We've treated him for fleas, he's on a grain free diet and I am almost positive he has seasonal allergies. His fur is dry but his skin looks fine to me and I don't notice any flaking. But the itching! He attacks himself and chews and chews and chews! Sometimes he bites so hard he squeals. The areas he attacks are up next to his nubbin, his hind legs and his wrists. I was planning to take him to the dog wash tomorrow and give him an oatmeal bath (which helped a little before) and rub him down with coconut oil -- which sounds like a disaster but we're desperate to stop the itching!

Thanks!

SHawn

Hi Shawn, because of the three areas on the pup that you mentioned, I'm wondering if it's something in your yard (maybe grass sensitivity) if it's mainly in the areas that would be touching the ground when standing and sitting. How's the tummy area? When we had Annie in for extensive allergy testing, I was surprised at how many different grasses tested positive, while others were fine. I had one woman in rescue suggest that we cover Annie's bed and areas were she slept with clean cotton sheets to see if she wasn't allergic to some fabric in the house (I was so desperate that we tried anything we could).

If on the chance you are dealing with mites, they are far easier to treat than to detect. I actually had an elderly relative who picked up scabies (a type of mite that can attack humans and animals) while in a rehab unit of a well known hospital several years ago. Mites tend to burrow under the skin (entering through hair follicles) rather than remain on the skin, so they aren't visible to the naked eye, and rarely show up with a skin scraping ... and the the itching is absolute HELL. At least with a human victim. they can describe what they are feeling.

Quality, two-sided bandanas for your treasured companion.
Made in the
USA under the direct supervision of
Genuine American Cocker Spaniels!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:38 pm 
Forum Legend

MShawn, thanks for asking, and your dog will thank you, too :smch

There are several kinds of mites that adversely affect dogs. Some of them really burrow into the skin, and as they travel through the skin their waste itches terribly, and a dog will bite so hard trying to get it that they hurt themselves. I had a foster dog that did that, he was just miserable, he did not want to be touched at all, poor little guy, because he just couldn't figure out where the hurt was coming from; he assumed anything that touched him would hurt. It took several visits to the vet, and finally something started biting ME. I took the dog back to the vet and showed him the bites on my arm and said, "whatever is on this dog is now biting ME." At that point he realized immediately that it was mites, canine scabies to be exact.

(They are easily passed to people and are self-limiting in people, meaning they live a couple of weeks, itch like crazy, die off, and that's the end. I learned that applying tea tree oil killed them off in a day or so.)

Healthy adult dogs all have a few mites that normally live on their skin and don't cause any problems and they seldom get them from each other. However, in shelters all of the dogs are very stressed, which compromises their immune systems and the mites take that opportunity to proliferate. Many puppies also have mites, they get them from the mothers, before their immune systems are mature enough to keep them in check.

My newest dog here now, my Maggie Mae, came with a roaring case of "walking dandruff" i.e. cheylietiella mites. She is a dark buff sable, and her hair was very coarse and rather sparse on her back. (and her skin was sort of "dusty," not really flakes, just a sort of red-brown dust coming off of her.) She had lived all of her 11 years outdoors on a farm in the mountains in Utah, basically foraging for her own food. With that background, her coat was attributed to poor nutrition, and it was thought that her dark skin was sunburn. (she also had a dry, crusty nose which I now know was a symptom of her liver disease).

She was here for a couple of months, scratching, rubbing against the door frames, biting herself, when I got itchy welts on my leg where she leans against me. Same story, took the dog to the vet, said "something on this dog is biting Me, can we have some Ivermectin." It's a liquid, 2 doses by weight, 10 days apart. In two days she stopped biting/scratching/rubbing, and in 2 weeks her skin was no longer black and she had new hair growing in. I treated my other dog too, just in case; they were sleeping in the same dog bed, and perhaps she was stressed enough with a newcomer to become vulnerable. For the few dollars, it was worth it for my peace of mind.

There are also mange mites, and while they are less itchy for the dog, they are far more visible and cause bald patches of raw skin. Those are usually recognized by a vet right away.

But these others are far more elusive. Vets are taught to take skin scrapings and look for the mites, but they are hard to find; I've read that there is only a 20% chance of actually finding a mite. If the vet is not willing to treat without the confirmation by a skin scraping, the dog is in for a long miserable time- until the mites get on their "person" and hopefully, someone will make the connection. I've noticed lately that the more experienced vets will make the assumption that an itchy dog that does not resolve with a change of food may in fact have mites and not a food allergy and treat for mites, very often with excellent results.

I keep trying to spread the word, and I get lots of resistance- it's allergies, it's biting out of boredom, he's just neurotic ... well, maybe. But far more likely, there is a physical reason.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:12 pm 
Active Forum Member

Chris......Casey has been sleeping right next to me in my Bed for 8 yrs, even now with the situation going on she is sleeping with me & I don't itch, I have no bites on my arms, there is no hives or bites that I can see on her, there is no loss of fur or bald patches on her & she is not biting herself raw. The vet took a stool sample the other day & everything came back negative. I am think alergie to food, the problem is I live with a family of 5 & I tell everyone that I have to switch her food, but they still give her treats & everything & I mean everything has to be stopped to find out if she is alergic to food & what in the food....grain, chicken, wheat, etc...... This is my 3rd cocker over a span of 30 yrs & each one is different, living in Florida does not make it any easier as it's like living in a Jungle down here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:18 am 
Active Forum Member

Chris Gomes wrote:

There are several kinds of mites that adversely affect dogs. Some of them really burrow into the skin, and as they travel through the skin their waste itches terribly, and a dog will bite so hard trying to get it that they hurt themselves. I had a foster dog that did that, he was just miserable, he did not want to be touched at all, poor little guy, because he just couldn't figure out where the hurt was coming from; he assumed anything that touched him would hurt. It took several visits to the vet, and finally something started biting ME. I took the dog back to the vet and showed him the bites on my arm and said, "whatever is on this dog is now biting ME." At that point he realized immediately that it was mites, canine scabies to be exact.

I keep trying to spread the word, and I get lots of resistance- it's allergies, it's biting out of boredom, he's just neurotic ... well, maybe. But far more likely, there is a physical reason.

Thanks for the information, Chris. I'm going to call our vet today and ask whether we could try treating for mites before we begin allergy panels. I'm sure it's allergies because his skin looks beautiful -- no dandruff, no discoloration. I'll give him a really good bath today and try the external coconut oil, too.

Joe, if the coconut oil doesn't work I'm moving on to apple cider vinegar!

Also, has anyone tried having a little footbath at the door for your dogs? What does that look like in your house?

Shawn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:41 am 
Forum Legend

Remember ORGANIC APPLE CIDER VINEGAR.

One time we would walk our hood and lots of lawns we had done this with two other cockers with no problem. Oliver woke up crying one night scratching all over. We had to think about what happened that day. This in the middle of the night. We tore the bed apart she did a wash, I took Oliver in the shower, my wife vacuumed the house I dried off Oliver. We came down with the cause it was the fertilizer that was on the side walks on our three mile walks. This caused us to go to the county park and a more dirty dog to get my exercise.

By the way we do fertilize our lawn but with organic stuff very eatable stuff. Alpha pellets and let the rain soak them in. Oliver doesn't like walking on them or it's the wet smell.

Just remember there should be no dog smell! At any time or there's is a infection going on. The only smell should be DIRT! Once a week bath here, but we have great skin. Just another reason for titer testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-5uOZj7dqk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:14 pm 
Forum Legend

Could it be your dogs vaccinations? Being over vaccinated?

https://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Forums ... =35&t=6330

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:37 pm 
Active Forum Member

I gave Bunk a bath today and made sure to allow the shampoo to stay on for 5 minutes. Then I massaged coconut oil into his wet fur and waited another couple of minutes THEN I gave him a light wash and washed the extra coconut oil off. He's still greasy-looking but doesn't feel gross and seems to be itching much much less. Was it the bath? Moisturizing his skin with the extra coconut oil? I don't know but I hope it keeps working for him!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:02 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi....may I ask where you wash your Cocker..in a Bathtub? How do you dry her...with a towel & blow dryer? Is yourCocker easy to wash? How do you wash the muzzle area without getting the shampoo in her eyes or inside the ears?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:36 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

siblis wrote:
Hi....may I ask where you wash your Cocker..in a Bathtub? How do you dry her...with a towel & blow dryer? Is yourCocker easy to wash? How do you wash the muzzle area without getting the shampoo in her eyes or inside the ears?

I wash my 5 cockers in the kitchen sink, then towel dry and finish drying with a hand held dryer. Our sink has a spray attachment which really helps to wet them down and to rinse off the shampoo. I have tried using the bathtub to bathe the dogs and it kills my back!
You can put a cotton ball in the ear, just at the outside of the ear canal. I use a wash cloth to wash the face & muzzle.

Leila 03/21/08
Bridgette 01/12/09
Echo 08/10/12

Waiting at the Bridge: Little Sister, Savana, Tivy, Slider, Arrow and all the others, I will always love you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:54 pm 
Active Forum Member

In The Sink? Do you have 5 puppies? I have a 37 pound Cocker that wouldn't fit in my Kitchen sink, plus my Mom would not allow it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:39 am 
Forum Legend

siblis wrote:

Some people use the bath tub, I use the shower stall and sit on a stool with a hose I made to fit the shower head pipe. I use two to three shampoo's only one around the head eyes is J&J no more tears. Using the tub you need to make sure the surface is safe for the dog, we don't want a hurt leg because of a slip, a rubber mat, big towel.

The other two shampoo's are DR. Bronner's peppermint, Brazilian Keratin Therapy human shampoo.

Just a hint if using the kitchen sink don't use the garbage disposals side because of the loose hair it will jam the machine.

A dog with itching problem don't use a starch base shampoo like OATMEAL if it's a yeast infection your feeding it! You want something like Head and Shoulders.

No cocker is really happy, I have to carry him but mine will walk into the shower stall if he can't run away, with a closed bathroom door. :bg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:32 am 
Active Forum Member

I just left my vet and she was discussing Apoquel with me - she said would not be on the market until May. I googled it, and read up on it - doesn't sound like something I would want to put my dog on - quite a bit unknown about it, and a lot of risks. Research it before you try it, and see if the benefits would out weigh the risks in your own situation.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:34 pm 
Forum Legend

MShawn wrote:
Chris Gomes wrote:

Thanks for the information, Chris. I'm going to call our vet today and ask whether we could try treating for mites before we begin allergy panels. I'm sure it's allergies because his skin looks beautiful -- no dandruff, no discoloration. I'll give him a really good bath today and try the external coconut oil, too.

Joe, if the coconut oil doesn't work I'm moving on to apple cider vinegar!

Also, has anyone tried having a little footbath at the door for your dogs? What does that look like in your house?

Shawn

(Coconut oil straight is an anti bacterial)

There's is a coconut oil shampoo called BRAZILIAN KERATIN THERAPHY human shampoo. Wallgreens, Rite Aid let it stay on the for dog ten minutes. Look that up. Some old posters wrote about it years ago but to straighten out the fur. Has COCONUT OIL, KERATIN PROTEINS, AVOCADO OIL, COCOA BUTTER.

Another try is Epsom salt bath let that soak in for a while.
My guess dogs lacking minerals in their diet, even add some Celtic sea salt in the drinking water.

There's no problem washing a dog every five days as long as the dog is healthy. Making their water repellant oil!

Lots of people use the organic apple cider vinegar as a rinse.

http://www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com/natural-allergy-relief.html
Joe