An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Stuvite Bladder Stones/ScienceDiet C/D-Itching skin
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:28 pm 
Active Forum Member

My cocker develops bladder stones & her's consist of struvite crystals.
The vet put her on Science Diet S/D canned for a month & then retested her urine.
It dissolved them great! It was strongly suggested the best way to keep the stones
at bay was to keep her on preventive Science Diet/CD urinary. It's not the healthiest
food, has grains & bad stuff in it BUT what can I do? Since being on this food she's
developed excessive itching & scratching & licking of her feet particularly, but also all over!!
It's like an obsession w/her!!
I've tried various things to help her: frequent bathing w/Malasab, or Oatmeal shampoo
& even Coconut Oil & also Apple Cider vinegar rinses. I know she feels better but she
still goes right back to scratching & itching the same.
So....I'm very frustrated! I feel like it's probably her food causing this but I can't take
her off of it or she'll continue to get bladder stones!!
1) Anyone else have these issues?
2)Is there an alternative food that's better quality for urinary problems?
3)Any tips on helping her stop this incessant itching & licking???
Would appreciate any input & encouragement!! Thank you in advance!!

Post subject: Re: Stuvite Bladder Stones/ScienceDiet C/D-Itching skin
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:50 pm 
Forum Legend

Jane, I don't have an answer for you, but there are a couple of members on the forum who have had this same issue, so I hope they comment. I know that Tina P has a little girl with the crystals, but I'm not sure what food she is on now. I think most of us are pretty much in agreement about the Science Diet products and I think there are some better alternatives. Perhaps us the SD until she gets stabelized and then try something that is better quality.
Good luck.

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:02 pm 
Forum Legend

My two cents itching skin treatment from the inside out, all the shampoos work for a day or two on the outside. Diet change and allergies inside to outside fix.

Shows a surgery and stone removal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEyMGIReFlg

Published on Jan 20, 2013

Urinary crystals and bladder stones are caused by genetics, dry food, high grain content of foods, inadequate water intake, and urinary tract infections. Feeding dogs and cats a moister, lower carb diet may help prevent this expensive medical problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhLHCM-RuPs

Best bet forget kibble dog food. Just my opinion and many others. Some don't like what I have to say. If your pet was out in the wild what would you dog eat? Well that food is 70 percent WATER! Kibble is 12 percent water. Now you understand the problem not enough water. Can food is good also, then the teeth need taken care of with wet foods, from brushing to raw bones from chicken, lamb, beef, turkey.

We get a good supply of raw turkey necks and chicken necks from our butcher. Our chicken is free range birds. This helps to clean the teeth the natural way. I use a rubber mallet and a hatchet to make smaller chunks of the necks. Plus I use coconut oil brushing my dogs teeth.

Just some ideas to help you out. Hope you watched the videos and learn something.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:55 am 
Active Forum Member

You might want to check this out at the dog food adviser. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/forums/to ... -crystals/ Never had a problem with this, with a dog, but 2 cats that I had, had that problem First cat 30 years ago the Vets told me to find a food that was low in ash, my second cat about 5 years ago, there was no diet change, the Vet just informed me, he knew that I was experienced with the care of animals and when to get them in, when there was a problem.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:15 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi. Both of my dogs have struvite crystals and both are on Ammonil every day. It's relatively inexpensive if you buy it in bulk. Emma takes 4 a day and Waylon takes 2. I had major food problems with Emma because she just couldn't tolerate a lot of them. The grain free foods went right through her and others caused her to itch or to vomit. She's been difficult to feed. She's been eating Iams Intestinal Plus now for over a year and does really well on it. That, and the Ammonil, keep her crystal free.

I gave up trying to find "good" food (i.e., grain free, high protein, low fat, blah blah) and just listened to the vet and it turns out he was right. You might check into the Ammonil, though.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:16 pm 
Forum Legend

Pet's Urine PH and Bladder Health

Uploaded on Mar 31, 2010

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/... - Mercola.com veterinarian, Dr. Karen Becker, explains why understanding your pet's urine Ph is essential to their bladder health.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAy_KKRzJjo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:41 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Jane
I had issues with Callie when she was younger and did some posts on it. She initially was diagnosed with struvite crystals which we got rid of with the Hills CD, and then she had UTI's regularly. Remember crystals are almost always caused by a UTI-the initial speciman tested at my vets did not show any bacteria, after several months of trial and error and research I insisted on having a culture sent out for a C&S-Culture and Sensitivity where they grow it in a lab for a few days and lo and behold a UTI was the cause of the crystals. Antibiotics cleared it up. Here is how I got control of the situation.

Send a speciman out for a C&S to make sure you know what is in the urine causing the crystals-if its positive antibiotics are necessary to get rid of the UTI.

Buy urine test strips on ebay and test freq so you know your dog's PH pattern. It is alot cheaper than running a sample to the vets. I always knew when Callie had a UTI by the test strips, so when her PH was high I would then bring a sample in. The PH varies throughout the day. Callie could be 8 during the day, drink a bunch of water and 2 hours later be down to 6.5.

Lots of water-add water to food. Callie was not a big water drinker so I got creative-I would make her "chicken soup"-boil a chicken breast and give her the broth. She also would feel special if I gave her water with ice cubes in a little pudding cup. My dogs now drink more water if I add ice cubes to their bowls so now they always get ice water.

Fish based food. I did very well with Calif Natural Herring and Sweet Potato and Holistic Select Salmon, Sardine, Anchovy until the Japan crisis a few years ago(all the fish were from the Pacific Ocean). Wellness uses whitefish from the Atlantic.

Cranberries. I buy them in the fall and freeze them and give as treats year round-Callie and Riley love crunching them raw.

My vet recommended Crandiden (sp) which also worked well as a supplement. There are many cranberry supplements out there.

We have not had a UTI in a few years but I still bring a sample in every annual. I also use the test strips when opportunity arises-Callie is a little diva and pees on the porch occ so she does not get her royal tootsies wet-it is so easy to use the test strip on the puddle on the porch!

I now feed Wellness Core Reduced Fat-I switched to land based protein after the Japan crisis, and we have done well for a few years. But it was about 4 years with the UTI's-1 sometimes 2 a year. Good luck and I hope you find a solution to the crystals so you can feed good food which should help with the itchies.

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy