An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Ivdd
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:52 am 
Active Forum Member

My little Lacie two days after Thanksgiving was playing and stopped misstep and hollered. She stayed very quiet and still so on Monday we took her to the vet. After X-rays she was diagnosed with Ivdd.. The vet put her on pain mess and Prednisone and told us to keep her quiet for 4 weeks. She also mentioned a surgeon. We were very careful with her to keep her from jumping or running. We carried her out to pottie but she doesn't like to be carried (she never has and seems like her tummy is tender since a puppy.). About two weeks later she began to improve. She is doing much better now. She is still on Prednisone every other day. She still has a hunched back and can't jump like before. We are careful to stop her before she jumps but a couple times she has tried before we could stop her and she didn't make it. We will continue to monitor her and pray that she lives a long life. She is 6 years old.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 18.88 KiB | Viewed 1302 times ]

Post subject: Re: Ivdd
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:55 am 
Active Forum Member

I'm so sorry to hear about Lacie's injury. That must have been very scary for you both.

This is a good article about ivdd in dogs. The authors are veterinary neurosurgeons, so they may have a surgery bias, but the overview of ivdd is interesting. It mentions that having a tense abdomen is common for dogs with level 1.

http://sevneurology.com/articles/interv ... dd-in-dogs

I'll keep Lacie's recovery in my prayers. Please let us know how she (and you) are doing.

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:01 pm 
Forum Legend

Oh bless her heart. I'm so sorry to hear that, but if you keep up the rest and prednisone for a while longer I think you will see an improvement. If you can provide a ramp or steps for her once she recovers sufficiently, it will keep her from trying to jump up on things that she shouldn't. Jumping is a big no-no and she could reinjure herself.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:48 pm 
Forum Legend

We have a pinned thread about IVDD in this section of the forum. Check it out for good info
https://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6820

hopefully that link works

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:19 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

So very sorry to hear that. My little Blu passed away in August from IVDD. It broke my heart.
I found this link on facebook. I thought if I had seen it before I would have bought one and used on him. Even though he is now in heaven I couldn't help but inquire. Maybe it can help.
" it's very important to measure per website to see which size your pup would take. Cockers usually get into the medium and large sizes could be regular in length or long. Costs vary from $96.95-$139.95.Thanks for checking in!
www.wiggleless.com"

Kudah-French Brittany rescued 06-2008
Blu - Buff Merle born 05-13-2010/Home on 08-28-2014

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:43 am 
Active Forum Member

Thank you all for the wonderful information. According to this information Lacie is a Grade 1 although when it first happened she was definitely in the Grade 2 category. I think the back brace looks like a good option as well. I appreciate your compassion. We are doing well now and other than a hunched back she is almost her old self again. We are praying she stays that way.