Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Max having stomach problems
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:36 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi,
We had to leave town for Christmas and boarded Max. After we got back his stools were watery and about 2 days after he came home he passed some red blood along with the stool ( at the end ). We took him to the vet and she felt his stomach and took a stool sample. Temerture normal.

Stool sample tested negative and he took a course of Probiotics the Dr. prescribed which seemed to help a bit.... but this morning his stools where mucosey even though I gave him a bit of Tylen powder with a bland dinner ( Steamed white rice with a bit of baked turkey )

This morning I also noticed that he has a swollen gland under his right ear... Any ideas? I have heard that Giardia sometimes does not show up on stool tests.

Max seems playful and has energy but I just can't get a handle on this stomach problem. He has been on rice with a bit of meat and a touch of greek yogurt since he started having trouble...
HELP!

Attachments:
Maxie.JPG
Maxie.JPG [ 48.5 KiB | Viewed 1844 times ]

Post subject: Re: Max having stomach problems
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:20 pm 
Active Forum Member

The upset and stress is enough to cause stomach problems, just going to have to sit it out and hope things sort themselves out. Although I would swap the rice for potato.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:42 pm 
Forum Legend

I would stay away from any poultry that's not organic, the reason why is it could cause IBS, thanks to GMO grains. I have switched from Foster farm to Rocky Range out west.

I asked the butcher if one could order some as they sell that chicken product.

I just bought 5 pounds on chicken necks, it came in one big frozen block, tossed about 2 pounds of neck skin. It was 1.25 a pound. Chopped them up after 24 hours in the refrigerator. Used a hatchet for small chunks.

http://www.petalumapoultry.com/our-prac ... ay=non-gmo

How about unsweetened pumpkin, not rice or potato.

Their chicken taste so much different than Foster Farms mass production it's more like turkey.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:59 am 
I Rescue Cockers

A couple of ideas;

One....try grinding the white rice so the consistency when cooked is like a lump of cream of rice cereal. The whole grain rice can be hard to digest and actually work against what you're trying to do.

Two....none of my dogs have been able to tolerate turkey. I'd use chicken instead and only the white meat (dark meat has a higher fat content).

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:15 am 
Recommended Breeder

It is true that giardia doesn't always show up on a fecal float test. There is an antibody test that can detect it.

Gale

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:02 pm 
Active Forum Member

More likely to be hook or whipworm with the blood, I'm sure it takes longer than a couple of days to show though, just continue with the basic diet till thinks return to normal. Then maybe think about worming, which will be at least three times. They are both often missed by testing as the eggs are not present everyday.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:31 pm 
Forum Legend

Gromit came down with bloody stools a couple of months ago. My vet put her on flagyl, an antibiotic, and also gave her a shot to settle her gut (I don't remember what it was). I also added about a tablespoon of canned pumpkin to her food every meal. It only took a few days to see a significant difference, but about two weeks until I'd say her stools were back to normal.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:12 pm 
Active Forum Member

How about cooked sweet potato?

Max is on Trifexis for fleas and heartworms... Wold the Trifexis work against hook or whip worms?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:55 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hope his little tummy gets back on track. In regards to your question about the sweet potato, I have found that for my dogs, the pumpkin works, but not the sweet potato or winter squash. I thought they would all work the same, but mine get upset tummies from the squash and sweet potatoes. :dk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:07 am 
Active Forum Member

hassiman wrote:
How about cooked sweet potato?

Max is on Trifexis for fleas and heartworms... Wold the Trifexis work against hook or whip worms?

Yes you should be covered, if your dog is under 4 then sweet potato would be ok, a good probiotics would be useful and will speed up recovery, antibiotics will slow down recovery.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:29 pm 
Forum Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXjvfpUehpI :run

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:21 am 
Active Forum Member

I wasn't sure if anyone said this, but the stress of boarding him may have been the issue. My Chester cannot be boarded due to having stomach issues afterwards. He is unhappy and stressed to be in the new environment, in a cage, and around other dogs. He will have a loose, mucus stool with some small amount of blood. So when he gets home he has IBS. I took him to the vet the first time and had all of the thoughts and issues like you have and what people have suggested. Like you there was nothing wrong with him shown through testing. In the end all he needed was time and a calm house to feel like he was safe and cared for again. I did the bland diet and yogart for a couple of weeks and slowly worked his food back in on the third. He still has some IBS issue when I travel and the pet sitter stays with him at my home, but nothing near if he is boarded. He also cannot due doggie day care, due to the stress it causes him. Some dogs are just more sensitive to being left in new environments and internalize it just like people.

Hope he is better and hope this helps!

Chester 08/15/2008
Dexter 12/12/2009 (Rescue)
Charlie 07/21/2012 - (Rescue, Gotcha Day)
Danny (Lab Mix) 11/2011 - (Foster, Gotcha Day)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:14 am 
Active Forum Member

James wrote:
The upset and stress is enough to cause stomach problems, just going to have to sit it out and hope things sort themselves out. Although I would swap the rice for potato.

Yes I said that but missed some important words out. :dk
One of my dog's can't even go to the groomers anymore.