Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Itchiness- allergies?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:24 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

Daisy scratches, chews and licks, a lot. The assumption is some kind of allergy so we have been eliminating things and changing diet over the last few months. The allergy thing is an assumption.
Here's my question- The vet gave me a few benadryl tablets when she had her shots in case she had an allergic reaction. It just occurred to me that if the benadryl stops the itching then we know its an allergy and continue on hunting for the problem. If not then it's a neurotic thing and we address that, somehow.
Do you think that this is a safe and rational approach?

Post subject: Re: Itchiness- allergies?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:11 pm 
Forum Legend

The Benadryl might help, but I doubt it will totally eliminate it. I've used it for Abby and it helps a bit. Abby also has the chewing...and can smell BAD in a few days. I know its allergies, but have not been able to pin point it. I think the best remedy for Abby has been 1/2 zyrtec a day, Everyday, but hate doing it. IF Abby ever gets as itchy as my mini doxie did, I will do the pred every other day, like we did for him. It worked great, but she is no where near as bad as Casey was.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:19 pm 
Forum Legend

A couple of thoughts here...

Dogs can get seasonal allergies from the tree pollens which, depending on where you live, can be very high beginning now. My first cocker got goopy eyes every single spring. After the first couple of years, I just knew that I needed to rinse her eyes with saline morning and night. If I didn't, they would get all infected, i.e. thick green and yellow yuck, and she'd paw at them and rub on anything and everything, and I'd have a miserable dog, a big mess and a big vet bill.

Another thing that I've very recently become aware of is that dogs who are allergic to wheat, as my Cricket is (turns her skin bright red and very itchy in about 20 minutes and lasts for hours), may also be allergic to barley and rye. They are all three genetically very close together. Cricket has been getting itchies on her tummy that she scratches and gets infected. Her treats have no wheat, but they do have barley and rye. We're on a trial of no treats to see if the itchy spots stay gone this time.
(her food is salmon and sweet potato, no grains at all).

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:25 pm 
Forum Legend

Most wheat is GMO in the western world. If interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS72J9bDvPM
GMO's
Your dog doesn't or us humans don't need to just stop eating the wheat or grains as the food animals we all eating the stuff and it gets into those animals as a food source for us and the cockers. Need to label shop and know what is good or bad.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:27 pm 
Active Forum Member

Diva does this also and her DR when she went in for her eye (had double cataract surgery at 2yr, now 5yr) exam said "seasonal allergies", that he would wake up itching his hands raw at certain times of the year. I was afraid it was food, but she has been on "low fat" Royal Canin for over a year and a half so know it isn't that and it started in the spring this year for first time. I have learned to have the groomer drummel her nails as "cutting" them left them sharp and she laid her forehead open several times. She also bathes her in a special soap for itching. I clean her ears and brush her teeth. Finding an "allergy" can be tough. :dk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:05 am 
Active Forum Member

My previous dog had every allergy imaginable. She was placed on a hydrolyzed diet, special food that would prevent any reaction, which helped a lot with her skin problems, but she still had residual issues. She still scratched and chewed her paws. She lived on Benadryl , which as far as I was concerned didn't help, but probably helped to relax her a little. At one point the Vet gave me (I had to pay for it) you can only get it from the Vet, Atarax, otherwise known as Hydroxyzine an expensive antihistamine, which that worked, it's about a one dollar a pill, twice a day that adds up.
Last year when Snickie got her" supposed" allergic conjunctivitis, I asked the vet if I should take her to an allergist, and he looked at me and asked why, all you'll find out is she is allergic to ten different trees and then what? She took 1/4 tab of Claratin a day, for awhile. Waiting now for late winter to see if this problem returns.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:02 am 
Active Forum Member

Chris, have you tried Wellness Petite Treats? Jennie loves the lamb, apple and cinnamon ones. They have potatoes and tapioca flour as a binder, so no wheat, barley or rye. They are small and only 4 calories each.

I use them as her very high value treats for when I really need to get something away from her. She will even give up a stinky old tennis ball for them!

Jennie doesn't itch with grains, but she gets a very gassy tummy. No fun for either of us!

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:45 am 
Forum Legend

Gromit was a very itchy puppy, and literally broke out in lima-bean-sized hives during one competition, so I had her allergy tested. I figured since she had her whole life ahead of her, it would be easier for me to address her allergy issues if I knew what they were. Turns out she has lots of allergies, the worst ones being pork, rice, and certain grasses and trees. Ironically, since she was a puppy, she was getting pork rawhides to chew on, and her food was lamb and rice! The day she broke out in hives I was treating her with bacon. Bad momma! Once I found out what her allergies were, I switched her food to Natural Balance limited ingredient diet. Her itchiness quieted down within two weeks! It was a blessing. She still gets seasonal allergies every spring, and I treat them using Zyrtec (1/2 per day). I like the fact that it's once a day dosing, and doesn't dope her up. If I start on that as soon as I notice her starting to itch, I can keep her allergies at bay. If I don't and she gets really itchy, then I may have to dose her with prednisone for a couple of days to break the itchy cycle. The fact that I'm still using the original pred prescription that she received when she was less than a year old will tell you how infrequently she's needed to get the pred!

I strongly recommend the allergy testing. It has definitely worked for us.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:58 pm 
Forum Legend

I have several thoughts and experiences to add here.

First of all, I got Cricket off the treats that had barley and rye in them-- NO more itchies! Yay!!!

Second, pork and water are the primary ingredients in the canned I/D. Many dogs are allergic to pork (says my vet who prescribes it).

Third, licking and chewing, and lip-smacking, can also be symptoms of nausea. It is well worth having a blood panel run to check for internal issues that may be brewing. For instance, nausea may be the only symptom of liver disease for a long time; if it's caught and treated quickly, it need not be fatal.

Note: all of the above from personal experience with my own dogs, supported by a great vet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:09 am 
Active Forum Member

I have had itching issues with my Callie - she's just 2. I have her on Nature's Recipe Salmon, Sweet Potato and Pumpkin. I switched her from the chicken formula, which I think helped, but she still has issues. Since eliminating the chicken from her diet, I have noticed that she does not get the bumps on her skin that she had. I have also limited her treats, but I think I need to read the ingredients there a little more closely.
My question is - I have her on 1/2 a benedryl, which when I give it to her , really doesn't seem like it's doing much, but when I don't she can't stop the biting and itching. I feel that when I give her zyrtec -which the vet recommended, it dries her eyes out too much.
I also have concerns as I had 2 former cockers I lost to liver disease, and the last one, I was told by the vet could have started her problems by giving her steroids, so I am really trying all I can to avoid them and keep this baby healthy.
I also just read a article by Dr. Dobbs -who does a lot a research on liver problems in dogs, that salmon is a high copper food, and probably not good for cockers. She won't eat Nature's Balance food - the kibble is too large, and when I tried to switch her over, she just picked out the salmon variety.
Do you think drugs for allergies such as benedryl, claritin and zyrtec are really safe for dogs in the long run?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:20 am 
Forum Legend

Find a food where the meat doesn't eat grain or a real organic dog food, could be gmo grains.

Look for (PRIMAL FROZEN LAMB). At a up scale pet store. http://www.primalpetfoods.com/locator/index.php

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:41 am 
Forum Legend

Just read an article quoting Dr. Jean Dodds as saying that dried peas, as in kibble, are not good for dogs and cause many of the symptoms we attribute to "allergies." I'm off to look for the original article... peas are primary in many of the non-grain kibbles.