An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Thyroid Problems Update - New Problem
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:16 am 
Active Forum Member

You could also use Cod Liver Oil over the livers, I for one can't stand the smell of it cooking, nor can I stand mixing it into the food, the smell has me gagging. I give Snickie a capsule twice a week, the other days she gets fish oil.
My previous dog had many yeast, bacterial skin infections, not due to thyroid, checked multiple times, she had lots of allergies. She lost a lot of fur, not as bad as Marley, probably because when I saw the hair loss giving her a bath, I got her to the vet right away, and like Rhonda said, a few months to grow back in. She also had the blackened skin.
Joe does have a point about feeding the dog kibble, I think if it were me I would temporarily cook for the dog, and as he improved and got over his yeast infection,slowly move him back onto his kibble. I currently cook for Snickie and top dress her kibble, and twice a week egg. All this for her eye condition. I couldn't do any of this with my previous dog due to her protein allergies, caused by what is called leaky gut. :sad
A really simple way to cook for a dog is the crock pot. I really like this Vet on you tube Dr Greg Martinez, you might want to check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEyMGIReFlg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:10 am 
Active Forum Member

I don't feed kibble either, I'd rather feed canned or anything else, if your looking after alot of dogs it might just not be practical. Steady on the cod liver oil can vitamin A toxicity and vitamin E depletion. Krill oil is probably better, it's
easier just feed a bit of salmon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:30 am 
Active Forum Member

Denise, thank you for your suggestion. My husband feeds after I go to work and was not thrilled about the liver. The only things we are doing besides the thyroid meds is coconut oil and Brewers Yeast tablets. Hubby was not opposed to the tablets. He just puts them in the bowl with Marley's food. Since Marley came to us I have not noticed a lot of shedding. All the bald spots are the same as they were the day we rescued him. I guess that is good but some regrowth would be nice. We check thyroid levels on Feb 5th again so will know where we are in that process then. I remember now that his nails were very brittle besides the bald patches and what I call elephant skin. Rubbing the coconut oil in his skin has helped but no hair growing back. I did look at the video and I could probably get my husband to feed that so may try that later if the thyroid replacement does not work.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:15 pm 
Active Forum Member

Coconut oil is definitely something I'd use second only to diatomaceous earth on the must have list.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:10 pm 
Active Forum Member

James wrote:
I don't feed kibble either, I'd rather feed canned or anything else, if your looking after alot of dogs it might just not be practical. Steady on the cod liver oil can vitamin A toxicity and vitamin E depletion. Krill oil is probably better, it's
easier just feed a bit of salmon.

Oh I agree on the vitamin A toxicity and that is why I only give it twice a week. The Cod Liver capsule gives the dog 1,250 IU The toxic load for a dog would be 113,600 IU given for many months. Here is a link for the fat soluble vitamins.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 59&aid=710

All that we're doing here is tweaking up the dogs immune system. If I recall right dogs that suffer from Vitamin A deficiency, which is hair loss, they are given 10,000 IU's of vitamin A, a day.
I remember when this first happened to my dog, it was the end of Aug. When I took her for a walk I put a shirt on her so that people wouldn't ask questions about her hair loss. It seemed like forever to grow back, and then one day it was all grown back in again. Hopefully in the next few months Marley's hair will be back, and he will be adoptable.

Post subject: Re: Thyroid Problems Update #2
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:02 am 
Active Forum Member

Just got a call from the vet office. Marley had blood drawn for his thyroid test Wed. Free T4 went down but everything else went up. I will get all the values when I pick up the meds this afternoon. Vet is doubling his meds for the next 60 days. His energy level seems to be getting better but his skin is getting really funky again. It is very flaky and smelly. I made sure the vet saw it when we went for the blood draw. He put Marley on Clindamyacin for a potential infection.

The Horners is all but gone. He has a little head tilt every now and then but it had been very severe.

We are not sure but there may be other allergies in the mix. It seems like Marley got the unlucky genes.

Lynette

P.S. We may start feeding liver even though hubby is not trilled about it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:07 am 
Active Forum Member

That's annoying. thyroid is the most over diagnosed problem in dog's. How does he handle fatty foods?
Soft stool's?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:39 pm 
Active Forum Member

One of the levels came into the low normal range. One fell and the other is still low. Marley has more energy but the hair is still not there. He has been on kibble since we got him. No other foods. I think we will add liver but nothing else. The vet doubled his meds and we check levels again in 60 days.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:19 pm 
Forum Legend

Published on Dec 15, 2012

Healthy Dog Club interviews Dr Jean Dodds, a world renown vaccine research scientist about hypothyroidism in dogs, a growing epidemic often misunderstood among owners. She is also founder of Hemopet, a nonprofit animal blood bank in Southern California and has a new book out, "The Canine Thyroid Epidemic: Answers You Need to Know for Your Dog," written with Diana R. Laverdure (Dogwise Publishing, $19.95).

Dr Dodds will talk about:

- The hypothyroid epidemic in dogs
- Causes of hypothyroidism (nutrition, genetics, vaccinations etc.)
- The role thyroid plays in dog's health and function
- Importance in addressing this condition, treatment options, medication side effects
- Diet/supplementation helping your dog's hypothyroidism
- Why is this such a misunderstood disease among dog owners as well as vets
- How it is diagnosed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRNtO01GLXk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:15 pm 
Active Forum Member

Lynette in TX wrote:
One of the levels came into the low normal range. One fell and the other is still low. Marley has more energy but the hair is still not there. He has been on kibble since we got him. No other foods. I think we will add liver but nothing else. The vet doubled his meds and we check levels again in 60 days.

That's the problem with kibble, hide's many issues, I read something recently where fat absorption problems caused low thyroid and many other problems including cataracts, Miniature Schnauzer was number 1 with this problem but seems like cocker spaniel was equal 20% (1 in 5) .
Hyperlipidemia google search landed back at Zim cocker forum. Home-made diet is the only way to diagnose these problems how do I know ? My dog was having seizures every week but I don't think he will have anymore. I now boil all meat and skim the fat, not 1 seizure in 6 months, no more low thyroid and the Glaucoma is no longer a problem, if your dog isn't having any problems don't remove all fat.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:38 am 
Forum Legend

James is your dog female?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:00 pm 
Active Forum Member

Joe in North Bay Ca wrote:
James is your dog female?

No my female dog has no issues, its the male dog with all the problems but honestly since he's gone virtually fat free no seizures in 6 months. Here he is as a puppy. How he ended up in the UK is a long story.

Attachments:
index.jpeg
index.jpeg [ 8.63 KiB | Viewed 2264 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:26 pm 
Active Forum Member

here's the female: before I got her, showing was a no go, started attacking other dogs. i think it was caused by an overbite. She's fine now.

Attachments:
index1.jpeg
index1.jpeg [ 7.38 KiB | Viewed 2260 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:58 pm 
Active Forum Member

James wrote:
here's the female: before I got her, showing was a no go, started attacking other dogs. i think it was caused by an overbite. She's fine now.

She was attacking other dogs because of an overbite?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:12 am 
Active Forum Member

Hannah in MN wrote:
James wrote:

Yea that makes no sense, she stopped eating apparently and then became aggressive she was extremely thin when I got her.I then realised she couldn't kibble. The vet said she has an overbite so now she has soft food with no problems.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:14 pm 
Forum Legend

James wrote:
Hannah in MN wrote:
James wrote:

Yea that makes no sense, she stopped eating apparently and then became aggressive she was extremely thin when I got her.I then realised she couldn't kibble. The vet said she has an overbite so now she has soft food with no problems.

That seams strange about the fats and brain waves, had you tried sea salt in their drinking water? What kind of oils do you use in the soft food? Teeth cleaning what do you use? Our second girl could hardly hold any kibble down and her teeth got so bad they were killing her. This started about day one at six weeks when we got her. In fact I don't think she would had let us brush her teeth. Now that dog could puke. It was hard to put weight on her.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:51 am 
Active Forum Member

Joe in North Bay Ca wrote:
James wrote:
Hannah in MN wrote:
James wrote:

That seams strange about the fats and brain waves, had you tried sea salt in their drinking water? What kind of oils do you use in the soft food? Teeth cleaning what do you use? Our second girl could hardly hold any kibble down and her teeth got so bad they were killing her. This started about day one at six weeks when we got her. In fact I don't think she would had let us brush her teeth. Now that dog could puke. It was hard to put weight on her.

He hasn't many teeth left the one's he has look ok and believe me eating for him is not a problem.
Hyperlipidemia in dogs:
The clinical manifestations of hyperlipidemia in dogs are associated with dysfunction in the gastrointestinal, neurologic, and ocular systems. The primary clinical findings include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, abdominal distention, anorexia, seizure activity, lipemia retinalis, and lipemic aqueous humor.1-3 Although clinical signs and history may be consistent with pancreatitis, laboratory data and imaging studies may fail to support a diagnosis of pancreatitis. Because of the large size of chylomicrons, severe hyperchylomicronemia (> 1,000 mg/dl) can result in the occlusion of organ blood vessels.1 If the pancreatic vessels are occluded, subsequent pancreatic ischemia results in a vicious cycle of lipase leakage, fatty acid degeneration, free radical production, and tissue damage with secondary pancreatitis.1 In people and animals, sustained hyperlipidemia is a principal risk factor for developing pancreatitis, and patients that present with pancreatitis should be evaluated for hyperlipidemia.1,2

Consider this thread well and truly hijacked :sad

http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/hy ... &sk=&date=

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:04 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi friends. I have not been in the forum for a long while. I want to put my 2 cents in this topic as Holly suffered from hypothyroidism, which in her case started with weight gain. . First if is really hypo, medication will be something for life. It can be confused with Cushing's so testing for Cushing is important. Second, besides the skin issues there are weight gain as well as fatigue. To help with the skin issues be sure the diet is grain free meaning no wheat, no corn, no soy. If you are supplementing with Vitamin A be sure it does not cause toxicity. Also get Vitamin A with NO SOY. I emphasize this as many vitamins have soy, so check any supplements you are giving any of your dogs. Last, levels has to be checked every so often to adjust dose to weight and levels in blood. Besides the thyroid problem skin issues are common for many other reasons. I know biotin works for humans but I never thought of it for dogs. A spoon of olive oil helps hair to shine.
Good luck.

Mom to dear Holly AKA Holly Caramel Candy 10/99-02/13 who went to meet Monchi, Sasha 1 and 2, in the Rainbow Bridge.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:56 pm 
Active Forum Member

UPDATE!! Marley has HAIR growing on his little bald tail!! I thought it was more dry skin but when I looked at it closely I was shocked and surprised to see it was hair. He definitely has more energy and now maybe he will get all his hair back.

Joe thank you, I will get a copy of the book. Running a rescue I try to find out all I can about things like this.

May Holly all my rescues immediately go grainfree. I am supplementing his food with coconut oil right now. He is being tested again in 60 days. Last test did not show much improvement so they doubled the meds. Now I see hair regrowth a couple of weeks later.

I really appreciate all the help from everyone. I have learned a lot. I will keep you updated on his progress.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:33 pm 
Forum Legend

:YAY :YAY :YAY

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:10 am 
Active Forum Member

This is good news maybe if he hadn't had his tail docked diagnosis would have been swifter.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:09 pm 
Forum Legend

Need more than just coconut oil, flax seed oil, fish oil, stay away from cod, great news on the new fur growth. I even have Oliver drink HIMALAYAN PINK SEA SALT in his drinking water at times, even on put it in his raw food diet. All mammals need sea salt not table salt. This why sometime our dogs lick either their paws as sweat glands or our faces. They don't lick us as love. :Clap

What is nice about two months ago I started brushing my Oliver's teeth with the coconut oil. Just about thirty seconds worth or a little longer. Works so much better than what the market place recommends as beef favor or chicken it never worked. Never really had teeth issues because of the raw bones even before this, he see's us brushing so I tried it on him too. I do it when he is laying on his side before bed. Can't believe the health of his gums. He likes it! I have been brushed my teeth nearly two years with it about five minute to ten minutes at a time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:33 pm 
Active Forum Member

Joe, thank you for the information on the book. I just got it a few days ago. I am not half way through it and have learned so much. I think everyone needs to read this book. Marley is still improving. I will have new pics of him soon.

Post subject: Re: Thyroid Problems Update - New Pics
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:31 pm 
Active Forum Member

Here is a new pic of Marley. He has a ways to go but looks and feels much better. :YAY We are still a few weeks from our next thyroid test but I am sure you can see the difference in his coat. He needs a bath and groom but that is due later in the week. It has rained so much here lately that grooms have not been priority.

Attachments:
MarleyBefore.jpg
MarleyBefore.jpg [ 39.37 KiB | Viewed 1899 times ]
MarleyNow.jpg
MarleyNow.jpg [ 42.84 KiB | Viewed 1899 times ]

Post subject: Re: Thyroid Problems Update - New Pic page 2
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:57 pm 
Active Forum Member

:wow He's looking great!. It amazes me because I remember with my own dog, one day she had all these bald spots and then like magic it seemed overnight, she had fur again. Glad to see his fur filling in, and I am sure that he feels better too!