An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Thyroid Problems Update - New Pic page 2
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:02 am 
Active Forum Member

I need a little help from the great members of this forum. For the first time I am dealing with a dog that has thyroid problems. When I took Marley into rescue he had a bad yeast and bacterial skin infection with patches of hair missing on his back and face. He has been on 3 rounds of meds and the skin looks better. His thyroid was tested recently and it was low. He has been put on meds for this but I do not know how long it takes to tell if it is helping. He is not aggressive (I know that thyroid problems can sometimes cause aggression) but the vet thinks the hair loss on his back is related to the thyroid problem. We retest in 30 days but I was wondering if I would see anything before then. I appreciate any information.

UPDATE!
Marley now has Horners. The vet thinks it is connected to the thyroid issue and should clear up as the thyroid levels are stabalized. Prayers would be greatly appreciated. He is a very sweet dog that deserves to be healthy and happy in his very own forever home.

Last edited by Lynette in TX on Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Thyroid Problems
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:29 am 
Forum Legend

Lynette:

I did a search of the forum and there are several people who have posted about thyroid, so you might want to try that. I don't have personal experience, but the rescue I volunteered with had several dogs come in who had hair loss on their back and were diagnosed with a thyroid problem. Best I can remember, the medication did clear that up within 4-6 weeks - or at least you could see that the hair was starting to grow back. Long term on the medication and their hair grew back completely.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:18 am 
Active Forum Member

What medication did your dog have? If its steroid medication that will sure effect the thyroid test results. Within a week I would expect results from thyroid medication more energy, maybe barking and more alert. Have you not seen anything? Did they test for cushings?

Last edited by James on Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:20 am 
Active Forum Member

James he was on Pred the second round but not the third. I think the vet took him off on the third round because he had said we would probably end up checking the thyroid in the end.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:23 am 
Active Forum Member

Lynette in TX wrote:
James he was on Pred the second round but not the third. I think the vet took him off on the third round because he had said we would probably end up checking the thyroid in the end.

"Edited"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:56 pm 
Forum Legend

I know one rescued cocker who had very thin and missing hair... turned out she had a very bad case of mites!! As soon as the bugs were gone, her hair started growing in beautifully. (her thyroid was also tested, and came back fine)

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:53 am 
Active Forum Member

Chris, the first thing the vet did on the first visit was check for mites. No mites found. He has not been tested for Cushings.

He has been on the meds for 4 days now. I called the vet and got the numbers from his test. This is what they gave me.

T3 - 0.4 Normal 0.5 - 1.4
T4 - 0.5 Normal 1.51 - 3.11
Free T4 5.49 Normal 12 - 33
THS .238 This is in the normal range.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:57 pm 
Active Forum Member

So what next, how old is your dog?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:22 pm 
Active Forum Member

James he is 4 years old. The owner that surrendered him said he had a yeast allergy. I do not think they had ever really done anything to treat this problem. He had a yeast infection with a secondary bacterial infection in his skin.

The vet put him on thyroid meds twice a day and wants to retest in 30 days. Here are some pics from the day we took him into rescue. His name is Marley. You can see the patches of hair that are missing. I am also feeding him a grain free diet and adding coconut oil. I have rubbed the oil in his skin too.

Attachments:
Marley.jpg
Marley.jpg [ 45.59 KiB | Viewed 3241 times ]
Marleyface.jpg
Marleyface.jpg [ 24.69 KiB | Viewed 3241 times ]
Marley2.jpg
Marley2.jpg [ 39.51 KiB | Viewed 3241 times ]
Marley3.jpg
Marley3.jpg [ 53.11 KiB | Viewed 3241 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:50 am 
Active Forum Member

Years ago my Samoyed mix looked a lot worse than your photos,the only place she had hair was her head and her feet. My vet said it was a flea allergy so treated her for this. With no improvement I changed vets and she was put on synthroid . It took about 2/3 months for her hair to grow back. Her levels were low normal and she had no other symptoms.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:26 am 
Active Forum Member

Hypothyroidism (copied and pasted)

The cocker spaniel has a predisposition for hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism results when its body fails to produce sufficient amounts of thyroid hormone. Thyroid hormone increases the metabolism rate and is necessary for normal regulation. Dogs are most commonly affected with secondary hypothyroidism: that is the thyroid gland becomes hindered in some way. In this case, the hindrance is most likely caused by a space-occupying tumor between the ages 4-10 years. Hypothyroidism my also occur via autoimmune destruction of the thyroid gland. Symptoms are related to a slowed metabolism including mental dullness, exercise intolerance, lethargy, weight gain (without increase food consumption), hypothermia, dry skin, and excessive shedding or hair loss. With hair loss, darkening of skin and itching may also occur. Infertility may occur. In severe cases, thickening of the skin results giving the dog's face a puffy appearance. Lethargy may progress to stupor and coma. Diagnosis is made by blood test. Treatment is provided by thyroid hormone replacement according to blood levels.

Seems like you got your answer from the test results, and rhonda roberts, although looking at the pictures his eyes seem very clear for a dog suffering with thyroid problems.

But then there's this:
Skin Problems: Primary Keratinization Disorder or Primary Seborrhea

Primary seborrhea is commonly recognized in the cocker spaniel. Primary seborrhea is caused by overproduction of skin cells including sebaceous (oil) cells. The skin appears greasy and scaly with a foul smell. The trunk, back, and ears are most commonly affected. Itching varies among those affected. Diagnosis is done by biopsy. Treatment includes the administration of retinoids (vitamin A derivatives) such as isotretinoin. Concurrent treatment with antifungals may be indicated as primary seborrhea may be associated with yeast infection. Routine use of antiseborrheic shampoos and moisturizers is also recommended

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:26 pm 
Forum Legend

James do you think Selsun Blue or Head on Shoulders would help?

What dog food is being eaten?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:30 pm 
Active Forum Member

Joe in North Bay Ca wrote:
James do you think Selsun Blue or Head on Shoulders would help?

What dog food is being eaten?

Well if it's a thyroid problem probably not, but if its skin problem then yea sure.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:08 pm 
Active Forum Member

Joe, all of my rescues are immediately put on Taste of the Wild. Marley is eating TOW Pacific Stream. He also gets coconut oil on his food and rubbed into the skin.

James, thank you for the information. I think you are correct. I got the answer in the test results. Now we just have to wait a little while. Something I found interesting in the information you gave me was about infertility. Marley has not heen neutered and one testicle is either nonexistent or up in his belly. The previous owner said he had never tried to breed and they just assumed he could not so never worried about neutering him. The vet could not feel the undescended testicle on exam.

Rhonda, thank you for the information on time it took your dog to get hair back. I will just have to be patient.

Post subject: Re: Thyroid Problems Update - New Problem
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:43 pm 
Forum Legend

Lynette in TX wrote:
I need a little help from the great members of this forum. For the first time I am dealing with a dog that has thyroid problems. When I took Marley into rescue he had a bad yeast and bacterial skin infection with patches of hair missing on his back and face. He has been on 3 rounds of meds and the skin looks better. His thyroid was tested recently and it was low. He has been put on meds for this but I do not know how long it takes to tell if it is helping. He is not aggressive (I know that thyroid problems can sometimes cause aggression) but the vet thinks the hair loss on his back is related to the thyroid problem. We retest in 30 days but I was wondering if I would see anything before then. I appreciate any information.

UPDATE!
Marley now has Horners. The vet thinks it is connected to the thyroid issue and should clear up as the thyroid levels are stabalized. Prayers would be greatly appreciated. He is a very sweet dog that deserves to be healthy and happy in his very own forever home.

Oh dear, the poor little guy. I do hope the thyroid levels are quickly stabilized and that the Horner's resolves. He does deserve to have health and happiness - and you are giving him that chance, Lynette! I don't imagine he'd much of a chance in a shelter looking like he does, and now with Horner's. Hopefully it's a matter of being patient (something I am not good at) and consistent with his treatment.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:43 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thanks Tina. We are a small rescue but do everything we can for our dogs, I do not think Marley has ever been diagnosed properly for his thyroid issue. The vet also put him on Baytril just in case there is an inner ear infection complicating things. Our local shelter would have probably assumed mange and put him down.

The owner that turned him over to us said he had a yeast allergy. It was really a yeast infection with a secondary bacterial infection. She did not seem very concerned about the missing hair like he'd been like that all his life. Marley had originally belonged to her son and he told her to just have him put down but she would not do that. We were warned that he loves bread. He will eat an entire loaf if he can get to it!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:31 am 
Active Forum Member

Well hopefully thyroid meds will fix all, although sounds like the previous owners tried their best before giving up. That bread things weird, is it to feed the yeast or does he genuinely need something from it? alot of respected dog people swear adding wholemeal bread to their diet, I for one haven't got a problem with good quality grain (except rice).
Please keep us updated with how you get on, don't give up the answer is out there. One more question, diarrhea issues or constipation? Biotin and vitamin c are the only stand out deficiencies which may cause similar symptoms I can think of.
Edit just seen this:
http://www.nickersinternational.com/Doe ... y_s/23.htm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:36 pm 
Forum Legend

I would stay away from any carbohydrate, that would really mean kibble. Carbohydrate is the glue for all kibble. Maybe a can dog food. Add some real sea salt, like Celtic.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:39 pm 
Active Forum Member

James, you mentioned the bread fetish being weird. I thought so too. After reading more on biotin I don't think it is. On the vetinfo.com site it says natural sources of biotin are liver, seed oils and bread. This may be why he is so obsessed with getting to the bread. It would make sense to me since he can smell the yeast in it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:54 am 
Active Forum Member

Yea I always add small amount of liver at least twice a week, can't find anything else nearly as nutritious. Looking at the thyroid results again I notice T4 very low but T3 not so, maybe has problems converting T3 to T4. In this instance something like this would be useful.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/26173334 ... 108&ff19=0

Thats in the future if thyroid meds (T3 only) don't work. The benefit of the raw is it contains both T3 and T4 (no conversion needed) with virtually no chance of overdose. Something that a wild dog would get with most meals.
TOW (fish and sweet potato) is a good food but not something I personally would like to feed every meal to cocker spaniel, can you not do a different variety on different days. Do they do a chicken and normal potato flavour. Sweet potato every day is food for yeast, fish is something that isn't the best everyday for cocker. Maybe thats why they say no all breed dog food is that good for cocker closest I found was this:

http://www.fiscalfutures.co.uk/products/dog-food/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:33 am 
Active Forum Member

James I can alternate the Fish with the Bison and Venison variety. The rest of the dogs in the house eat the Bison and Venison. Marley is the only one eating the Fish. I thought he needed the oils the fish would have. I can add fresh liver to his meals if needed. Would beef or chicken be better, or does it matter? I was just working on finding a food that an adopter could feed without much trouble. A complicated diet may deter adopters but that may be what is required for him.

I just noticed I made a mistake in my last post. The list on the website listed yeast not bread. That is why the bread thing made more sense to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:51 am 
Active Forum Member

Lynette in TX wrote:
James I can alternate the Fish with the Bison and Venison variety. The rest of the dogs in the house eat the Bison and Venison. Marley is the only one eating the Fish. I thought he needed the oils the fish would have. I can add fresh liver to his meals if needed. Would beef or chicken be better, or does it matter? I was just working on finding a food that an adopter could feed without much trouble. A complicated diet may deter adopters but that may be what is required for him.

I just noticed I made a mistake in my last post. The list on the website listed yeast not bread. That is why the bread thing made more sense to me.

Well the answer is in the job they had for 1000s of years, so chicken or turkey would be better than beef, that isn't to say you can't ever give beef, fish (salmon or trout), lamb or anything else. I forgot you wouldn't be keeping him, I just feed them a bit of salmon a couple of times a week (but I am a bit obsessed) :OMY

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:33 pm 
Active Forum Member

I do not think I was clear. I was wondering if beef liver was better than chicken liver. Do not know if one is better than the other in regard to amount of biotin.

As for him leaving...he may or may not. It will depend on wheter we can find an adopter willing to do what is determined to be what he needs. If we can not find the right person he will stay with us. I think I will try adding some liver for now. I appreciate your help. I always know I can get help here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:55 am 
Active Forum Member

Beef is easier and cheaper, if your feeding mainly chicken then beef would be my choice.

Joe is probably right about the carbs but in reality it's going to be difficult to put into practice. Unless your going to get a whole chicken with feathers,guts and bones I think it won't be a good option.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:34 am 
Active Forum Member

I don't think my husband will go for the whole chicken thing. :lol2 He may not be very thrilled about the liver thing either but he will probably agree to help with the liver faster than the chicken.