An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Weird eye bump
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:38 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi all, I'm new to this site. My almost 8 year old rescue cocker has a strange bump on his eye. I thought it was a wart at first, but over the last couple of weeks have noticed it getting bigger. I took a warm compress to it tonight and it sort of "popped" . After I took the compress off, it looked more like a pimple than a wart, with a small white head. It didn't hurt him when I pressed on it and a little bit of white gunk came out. Not smelly, then clear fluid, then a little blood. I took another compress to it and have left it alone. Any recommendations on what I should do?

Thank you all!

Post subject: Re: Weird eye bump
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:24 am 
Forum Legend

Hi: Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you might have taken care of whatever it was. Was it on his eye LID? I would keep it really clean and watch it. If it reappears, I think a vet visit would be in order to determine what is causing it and how best to treat it. You don't want to be messing around with the eye area for too long.

If you could post a picture, it might help identify it, too - but it sounds like it's gone already.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:46 am 
Active Forum Member

Thank you! It's not gone, for sure. Now it looks more like a wart again. I can't seem to upload a file, they all seem to be too big.It's close to the inside corner of his eye, almost looks like a tear duct, especially when the stuff came out. It's not bothering him (not rubbing against im his eye or anything). It's also not cherry eye or his third eyelid. If anyone wants to email me, megbarlow@gmail.com, I'd be happy to send you a pic of his eye.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:08 am 
Active Forum Member

It sounds like a sty... right along the edge of the lid, right? If so, the warm compress may have helped it to drain the first time. But if it is continuing to fill, you'll want to have your vet take a look. Be careful not to touch the area or any goo that drains from it, as it can contain bacteria.

I checked the VetInfo website and here's what they advised for a sty. The person who asked said her dog had lost some hair in the area where the bump had been:

A stye is actually a plugged tear gland duct that has a secondary infection. If you can get the duct open with warm compresses the tears will flow again and push out the infected material and that may resolve the infection. Sometimes they need to lanced as the duct won't open on its own. In those cases antibiotic therapy may be indicated to reduce the inflammation and open up the duct. Although it is possible that this wasn't a blocked tear duct, given the location and its response to your treatment it's the most likely cause of what you saw. The other common cause of eyelid bumps is a Meibomian gland tumor which is relatively benign (not aggressive) tumor of the tear glands along the eyelid. These won't go away with a warm compress but respond well to surgical excision. It is normal to have hair loss where there is inflammation. Her hair should grow back now that the inflammation from the infection has resolved as long as the infection didn't rupture through the skin. If that happens sometimes there will be a small scar and no hair regrowth.

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:37 am 
Active Forum Member

Thank you all! No hair loss at the area though, and not a lot of stuff comes out of it. It hasn't gotten any bigger, but not significantly smaller either. It is a bump, but it definitely has a hole in thr top of it, I didn't need to squeeze it to even see that. (That's why I got the idea to warm compress it in the first place) I didn't really look at it closely when it first appeared a few months ago, I truly thought it was a wart or a growth, but for some reason I looked closer last night and hats what I found. I'll keep trying the warm compress for a few days and see if it gets any better. Again, if you'd like to see it, please email me at megbarlow@gmail.com and I'll show you the pic.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:14 pm 
Forum Legend

Here's how to resize a picture for the forum if you'd like to try to upload it again.

http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Forums/ ... ?f=14&t=14

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:15 pm 
Forum Legend

I wonder if it could be a blocked tear duct - since it has a "hole" at the top of it?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:45 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thank you for the tips!

If you can see. There is a fleshy little "bump" on the inside corner of his eye. (He's kind of camera shy). I went to the holistic pet store today and they said it doesn't sound like anything to worry about, and gave me probiotics for his other allergies, hoping they might fix this too. They also gave me the vetricyn eye drops. I warm compressed it again tonight and nothing seemed to come out, but it doesn't really look any smaller. Any at home remedies?

All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I'm sorry if I seem frantic, but I just had to put my 14 year old yorkie down. I got both of them (Bentley, my cocker, and izzy, my yorkie) as rescues. I just moved to Wisconsin and just recently got a new job, so major vet visits are kind of out right now. :sad

He's also due for a haircut in the next week. I noticed the bump right before his last haircut, so please forgive his fuzzy face!

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 43.98 KiB | Viewed 3058 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:56 pm 
Active Forum Member

Here is a new pic of it today. It doesn't look any smaller, when I warm compressed it tonight some gooey white smelly stuff came out. Not a lot, but enough for me to notice. Am I doing the right things?

I think it bothers me more than it does him. In fact, it doesn't seem to bother him at all. He doesn't rub it or even back away when I come at him with a warm compress. When somerhing bugs him, he's pretty hesitant to let me near him.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 60.27 KiB | Viewed 3038 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:38 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

Okay....you don't know me and I don't know you but, when it comes to any of my (current) five cocker spaniels and two cats I am a nutcase. My vets joke that if my pets catch a cold I get them to the vet so fast they see them between the "ah" and the "choo". So, based on that, my mantra is, "if I can't look at something and know with 100% certainty what it is, they see the vet". There are minor things that look major and major things that look minor. I think I'd at least call your vet for his/her input since it keeps coming back. If there's an infection, you want to catch it. If it's nothing, they'll likely tell you to do the compresses. It can't hurt to ask.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:45 pm 
Active Forum Member

Vickie wrote:
Okay....you don't know me and I don't know you but, when it comes to any of my (current) five cocker spaniels and two cats I am a nutcase. My vets joke that if my pets catch a cold I get them to the vet so fast they see them between the "ah" and the "choo". So, based on that, my mantra is, "if I can't look at something and know with 100% certainty what it is, they see the vet". There are minor things that look major and major things that look minor. I think I'd at least call your vet for his/her input since it keeps coming back. If there's an infection, you want to catch it. If it's nothing, they'll likely tell you to do the compresses. It can't hurt to ask.

Thank you Vickie. Due to the poor treatment I recently received at my current vet while putting my beloved Yorkie down a month ago, I'm in the process of looking for a new one. I am a nutcase about my dogs as well, especially my cocker. He has been with me through some of the best and worst times of my life. I'm gathering that a vet visit might be inevitable soon, but I'm trying to see if there is anything else I can be doing for him in the meantime.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:12 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

Bentleysmom wrote:
Vickie wrote:

Thank you Vickie. Due to the poor treatment I recently received at my current vet while putting my beloved Yorkie down a month ago, I'm in the process of looking for a new one. I am a nutcase about my dogs as well, especially my cocker. He has been with me through some of the best and worst times of my life. I'm gathering that a vet visit might be inevitable soon, but I'm trying to see if there is anything else I can be doing for him in the meantime.

Sorry for the issues with your vet. It's hard enough to go through those final times without having difficulty with the vet that should be there to assist both you and your pet. Mood luck finding someone good that you and your pets can relate to.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:41 am 
Forum Legend

After looking at the picture, it looks like one of those "cocker warts" that our older dogs sometimes get - everywhere. They are mostly benign - but they will grow. Given where this one is located, I wouldn't let it go too long without having it removed as it will eventually start to irritate his eyeball and you might have bigger problems. It will also be harder to remove once it gets bigger. It will probably require anesthesia, so if he is due for a dental or any other procedure, that's the time I'd have it removed. All of that being said, I've had them removed only to have them grow back, so I would at least talk to a vet about it when you are able to find one you like. Sorry to hear that you had such a problem with the vet who handled your Yorkie. I hope you complained and got your money back. Compassion needs to be at the core of ANY vet practice IMHO.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:56 am 
Active Forum Member

Thank you Tina!
I complained but no money was returned. :( I have a call in to a friend of a friend who is a vet.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:35 pm 
Active Forum Member

I did read somewhere that any bumps on cockers eyes should be investigated asap, probably won't hear me say that again.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:57 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thank you James. It's on his eyelid. Not even eyelid, where a tear duct or eyelash would be, but not hanging in his eye. Does that matter? It's actually going down a bit from warm compressing the last few days, and there is no more gunk coming out of it. I'm going to the holistic vet tomorrow to see what they say.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:42 pm 
Forum Legend

Bentleysmom wrote:
Thank you Tina!
I complained but no money was returned. :( I have a call in to a friend of a friend who is a vet.

It might be time to write a letter and copy someone "important" who keeps track of complaints. I'm not sure who that would be, but surely vets have to answer to someone for their practices.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:05 pm 
Active Forum Member

I may try that. I don't know if writing it to that vet clinic would do anything, since I believe her dad is the owner. It's just very disheartening to know that during one of the most difficult times of my life, this woman was so unprofessional at her job, to take care of my pet!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:28 am 
Active Forum Member

Bentleysmom wrote:
Thank you James. It's on his eyelid. Not even eyelid, where a tear duct or eyelash would be, but not hanging in his eye. Does that matter? It's actually going down a bit from warm compressing the last few days, and there is no more gunk coming out of it. I'm going to the holistic vet tomorrow to see what they say.

This what I read, might be nothing:

Cocker Eye Problems - Eyelid Tumours (Cancers)

Eyelid tumors are usually found in middle-aged to older dogs and can be treated successfully with surgery; however if the tumor isn't removed while it's small, it can grow large and destroy the eyelid.

Conjunctivitis and discharge are common in dogs with growing eyelid tumors.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:46 am 
Forum Legend

TinaP wrote:
Bentleysmom wrote:
Thank you Tina!

It might be time to write a letter and copy someone "important" who keeps track of complaints. I'm not sure who that would be, but surely vets have to answer to someone for their practices.

Here's an address for the WI Veterinary Board if you want to pursue it:

http://wvma.org/index.php?option=com_co ... Itemid=211

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:08 pm 
Active Forum Member

James wrote:
Bentleysmom wrote:

This what I read, might be nothing:

Cocker Eye Problems - Eyelid Tumours (Cancers)

Eyelid tumors are usually found in middle-aged to older dogs and can be treated successfully with surgery; however if the tumor isn't removed while it's small, it can grow large and destroy the eyelid.

Conjunctivitis and discharge are common in dogs with growing eyelid tumors.

Thank you James. We go to the holistic vet at 330 cst. I've sent her a pic already and she doesn't think its anything to worry about. Hopefully she's right! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:09 pm 
Active Forum Member

TinaP wrote:
TinaP wrote:
Bentleysmom wrote:
Thank you Tina!

Here's an address for the WI Veterinary Board if you want to pursue it:

http://wvma.org/index.php?option=com_co ... Itemid=211

Thank you Tina! I will definitely be writing them a note!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:59 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Our ^Ginger^ had a similar lump at one time. It was on her bottom eyelid, outer corner. It was just a little bit bigger than Bentleys. While our vet said it was just a wart she said to watch it and if it got any bigger we had to have it removed. You don't mess with lumps and bumps by the eyes. It actually went away on its own though, thankfully. Hopefully Bentleys will go away also.

Maya - Blue Merle born 5/28/06
Angel - White Buff rescued 4/19/09 at 4mo of age
Belle - Cocker mix rescued 6/5/13 at 8 weeks of age
^Ginger^ - Buff rescued 5/19/07 went to the bridge 5/26/13
^Lacey^ -Black Cocker always in our hearts 12/15/89-7/16/06

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:27 am 
Active Forum Member

Donna in WI wrote:
Our ^Ginger^ had a similar lump at one time. It was on her bottom eyelid, outer corner. It was just a little bit bigger than Bentleys. While our vet said it was just a wart she said to watch it and if it got any bigger we had to have it removed. You don't mess with lumps and bumps by the eyes. It actually went away on its own though, thankfully. Hopefully Bentleys will go away also.

Thank you Donna! That is what the holistic vet said. He said it could be an ingrown hair but because it hasn't gone down at all since "popping" it it's likely a wart with a hair in it. How long did Ginger's take to go away? The holistic vet gave me some oils and advised me the same thing, watch it, don't let it get bigger, and watch to make sure goop doesn't start coming out of his eye to signal infection. It's not touching his eyeball, so he thought removing it now could cause more harm.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:06 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Gingers really wasn't there very long, maybe a few weeks. I don't think I took a pic of hers at all. She had other warts on her neck that were bigger and they would open up at times, almost go away and then come back but the one on her eye went away once it opened up. I did not put any compresses on it nor did I mess with it at all.

Maya - Blue Merle born 5/28/06
Angel - White Buff rescued 4/19/09 at 4mo of age
Belle - Cocker mix rescued 6/5/13 at 8 weeks of age
^Ginger^ - Buff rescued 5/19/07 went to the bridge 5/26/13
^Lacey^ -Black Cocker always in our hearts 12/15/89-7/16/06