An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Night Terrors
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:14 am 
Forum Legend

Please excuse Waylon for barging into the cocker forum....

Waylon is 13-1/2 and has an occasional night terror (waking up, trembling and panting). Last night's was worse. I always get up and let him outside to potty, but it took almost an hour for me to settle him last night (at 4:30-UGH!). He prefers to sleep in a dog bed in our room, but I put him in bed with us and kept petting him and trying to calm him for about an hour.

I've done a little bit of research on line and see that they aren't uncommon in elderly dogs - but the causes range from Doggy Alzheimer's to seizures and everything in between. Every recommendation from thundershirts to drugs.

He's been to the vet just a couple of weeks ago and recently overcame pancreatitis and gastritis. He's been eating canned food that's working for him (ID/LF) but seems bony to me. Everything else we tried made him throw up. I'll definitely be calling my vet in the morning and taking him in for additional blood work, etc. if he thinks it's necessary, but wanted to just see if anyone else has dealt with this. I read about medications like potassium bromide (which Shiloh took for seizures, and I didn't like how it doped her up).

Anyone have a dog who has done this? What did you do?

Thanks.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

Post subject: Re: Night Terrors
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:06 pm 
Forum Legend

No advice, but I do hope you can get this figured out. It could be so many things. It sounds miserable for you and Waylon. Poor baby

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:31 pm 
Forum Legend

Oh no, poor Waylon and you. I have no experience, but sending positive thoughts. :hp

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:14 am 
Active Forum Member

How is little Waylon doing? What did the vet think?

http://www.dfwcockerrescue.org

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:29 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi Holly:

Thanks for asking - Waylon is doing well. My vet put him on an anti-seizure drug called Keppra, which is a human drug (he now can't drive or operate heavy equipment, but you just can't have everything, can you?) and the terrors stopped within one night. He told me that seizure activity can be "learned" by the brain - that if it happened repeatedly that the brain would start to think that pathway was normal - and he wanted to nip those pathways in the bud. I didn't know that about seizures but his terrors have stopped and he once again sleeps through the night. At his age, Waylon is a good example of "better living through chemistry" but we'll take it if it keeps him happy and comfortable. And really, aren't we all heading in that direction? :gig

Tina

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:59 pm 
Forum Legend

YAY! I'm so happy to hear Waylon is doing better. Yep, there comes a time we must do what we must do for comfort. He sounded so miserable. Can you imagine waking every night in panic mode? Your vet sounds like he's on top of things.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:56 pm 
Active Forum Member

TinaP wrote:
Hi Holly:

Thanks for asking - Waylon is doing well. My vet put him on an anti-seizure drug called Keppra, which is a human drug (he now can't drive or operate heavy equipment, but you just can't have everything, can you?) and the terrors stopped within one night. He told me that seizure activity can be "learned" by the brain - that if it happened repeatedly that the brain would start to think that pathway was normal - and he wanted to nip those pathways in the bud. I didn't know that about seizures but his terrors have stopped and he once again sleeps through the night. At his age, Waylon is a good example of "better living through chemistry" but we'll take it if it keeps him happy and comfortable. And really, aren't we all heading in that direction? :gig

Tina

You might want to try "T-Touch" ... ie, Tellington Touch for dogs. Google it ...
This probably would not cure your problem but might be an adjunct to the meds.
My blind Cocker does this occasionally and, for him, it seems to be nightmares. T-Touch is enough to get him relaxed and back to sleep.

Best wishes and good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:00 pm 
Forum Legend

Thank you Eldon! I will take a look at it. I've heard of it but never tried it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:55 pm 
Forum Legend

Tina,
Don't know why I didn't think of it, but now that it's been mentioned, I highly recommend TTouch too. I learned it to help deal with very stressed dogs when I was thoroughly involved in rescue; it's pretty easy to learn. And every dog I've ever used it on absolutely loves it! I used it on Cricket when she first came home and had nightmares, and they stopped. She loves her TTouch before she goes to sleep.

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:59 am 
Forum Legend

Thanks, Chris. I have it on my list of "to dos." Waylon got me up at 4:15 this morning panting, but a quick potty trip seemed to be all he needed (and it made me go the gym, so I'm glad he got me up). It seems that the Keppra is working, but if he didn't have to take it I would like that better.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:21 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi, I'm new, though I have followed this for a while! My cocker sleeps with us & we are in the inland empire in Southern California. I mention that because the recent rains have given ALL of us allergies & problems. He got conjuctivitis last week with the first set of rains (the Vet thought from allergies). The last three nights, he has been waking up, crying (if one of us moves) and we take him out to the bathroom. His stomach feels like it's cramping. We stopped giving him Benadryl after the first night thinking maybe he's having a reaction. He's TOTALLY fine during the day. He's at the Vet now. Everything I can find on stomach issues indicates he would be like that all day. So...now I'm wondering if it's night terrors! I know that many of you pray, so please pray for Bruno, who will be ten in April!

I will let you know what the Vet says!

Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:07 pm 
Active Forum Member

So Bruno is back from the Vet. His eye infection got worse from a week ago! The Vet changed his meds! She thinks that the original antibiotic wasn't working (obviously) and she thinks he has an upper respitratory infection caused by the allergies...and in answer to the crying at night - his anal glands were heavily impacted! We have him groomed on a regular basis, but apparently they "don't go deep" - I know this might sound disgusting, but I am trusting that all here who have Cickers and other dogs are familiar with this! So, the little guy had them cleaned out (which he apparently hated and is something only a Vet can do!) and she (the Vet) thinks that caused him stomach issues, but to be safe, she gave him an antibiotic for his intestines! So, now I have a million things to research on the Internet - Bruno is happy to be home & is running around. There was a tightness in his stomach, which the Vet said could be a result of constipation from the blocked anal glands. I wanted to give anybody reading this an update, but I promise to find a thread on anal glands! And hopefully, all of us who have been experiencing sleepless nights will find a way to overcome that. Bruno is my second Cocker and he sleeps with us, just as his predecessor did. Crating was never an option for us as they are truly our babies! But in saying that, that choice came after my first baby who could not make it through the night without constant reassurance! So, after that, it just became natural.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:35 pm 
Forum Legend

Anal glands have been discussed a great deal and it is painful for the animal. Glad you took Bruno to the vet. You might try giving him some canned pumpkin (not the pumpkin pie kind with the spices, but plain canned pumpkin) to help him with his digestion and beyond. :wink

Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:56 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

TinaP wrote:
Hi Holly:

Tina

You're too funny! :lol2 I also take Keppra for a seizure condition, long under control. The best thing about this drug is that it has almost no side effects, unlike prior drugs to treat this condition. I also cannot operate heavy equipment, but never really wanted to. :gig

Missing Abi and Leroy with all my heart.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:03 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi Juanita:

Well, I probably spoke too soon on the wonders of Keppra. You're right in that there are no negative side effects, but Waylon is still doing a little nocturnal wandering around the house. I'm thinking his sight is greatly compromised and our bedroom is really dark, so he gets confused or anxious in there. He prefers to sleep in the living room now, where there's a little light coming from the front of the house, or in our small bathroom on the rug. I'm just guessing it's his eyesight because his eyes are cloudy - I don't really know - but he hasn't had any more of the seizure-like activity or the panting since starting it. Daddy has always been a "fall asleep on the sofa and come to bed in the wee hours" type of person, and Waylon likes it that he's on the sofa, so he will settle right down on the rug and go to sleep. Happy to make the compromises for the little seniors if I can get just a little sleep before having to go to work, and this seems to work for us.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:34 pm 
Forum Legend

Maybe a little nite-lite or two to help guide Waylon? They don't put off so much light that it keeps you awake, but enough to help Waylon...maybe.

Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:30 pm 
Forum Legend

Poor baby...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:55 am 
Forum Legend

Terry T. wrote:
Maybe a little nite-lite or two to help guide Waylon? They don't put off so much light that it keeps you awake, but enough to help Waylon...maybe.

We've tried some of the solar plug in lights but unfortunately they don't seem to help. I think even a nightlight would keep me awake. It has to be pitch black for me to sleep. He woke me at 4:45 this morning pawing at the shutters (??) and putting his front paws on the bed. He doesn't want on the bed - he'll just jump down immediately - so there's no telling what he's trying to convey ("get up and feed me" sounds about right :gig ). I just took them for nail trims this morning and they are both napping. It's cold and rainy here and that sounds like a good idea to me, too, since I've been awake since 4:45. :goof

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:12 am 
Forum Legend

Now you have your answer FEED ME! Our girl was that way she would breath on your face to wake us up. Started around 12 or 13 year of her life.