The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Sadie - update on labs (AIHA diagnosed 03/29/13)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:24 am 
Active Forum Member

Hello all. Have been busy this week, but wanted to post that I finally got the results to Sadie's CBC. Her PCV is holding at 43, even with the weaning so far, so that is good. I will go by today and pick up a "physical copy" as I like to see all for myself and keep a record. If not, it all starts running together. She is now on her 2nd weaning - every three days - tomorrow being her second of the five doses. From there, a full panel blood work to make sure her numbers are stable and if so, on to every five days for five doses. Then we'll regroup.

Sadie is doing well. Actually played with her "boyfriend" (yellow lab, Saber) down the street - a little sprint around the yard. Then it was pant, pant, pant and a rest in their garage in the shade. But it's a beginning for her. A long, gut-retching road. Each day with my precious little gal is a gift. Daily mouth/gum checks (much to her dismay) and taking it day to day.

Love and wags to all, Linda & Sadie

Post subject: Re: Sadie - update on labs (AIHA diagnosed 03/29/13)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:12 am 
Forum Legend

That is good news! I am glad that Sadie is doing well :th-up

Rocky (7/18/02), Onyx (10/2/10), Misty (8/15/11), and Ethan (10/20/11)
Weesister (7/18/02-7/22/10) and Killington (10/85-2/02)waiting at the bridge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:25 am 
Forum Legend

:YAY
Patti B

Ryan------1999-2012---Our first foster.
Rowdy----1986-1997---Our 2nd rescue.
Buffy----- 1986-1996---Our 1st rescue.
Pokey-----My sons' childhood Cocker.
Poochie---My childhood Cocker.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:08 pm 
Forum Legend

Wonderful news! :YAY :YAY :YAY

Post subject: Sadie - AIHA update
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:05 am 
Active Forum Member

Well - CRAZY June-July (so far). Yup - Sadie crashed. I too (many warned) knew the weaning was too fast. On June26th, day after her 2nd (2nd of 5 doses) of 1 20mg prednisone every 5 days, she collapsed three time. After first crash, I rushed her to the vet. Her PCV was 24, down from 43. We had to go full force on full meds, including prednisone 20mg 2XDay, Atopica 25mg 2XDay. Of course, then the Plavix for clotting, Denamarin for liver, and just added Thyroxine for thyroid (per Dr.Dodds, whom has been so incredible and consulting with my vet). Three days after crash, her PVC went down to 20. Then, thank goodness, she began to climb, back to 24, and regenerating, last Friday, July 5th, it was 29.

The pulsy, which left her RIGHT side, almost instantly, moved to the LEFT side, by the next day. Someone here warned me of that. The RIGHT side lasted a little over three weeks. But this LEFT side is worse and still here. So sad, continually shaking head (which sends drool/food everywhere) drooling extensively, eye constricted, can not blink. Needless to say, it's eye oitment all day, every day.

I have a color coded excel med list. Would not make it without it. We do more labs Friday. Concerned abou the pulsy, inner ear infection, but ears clean, no drainage. Vet thinks the pulsy just has to run it's course. Oh, and by the way, blood serum to Dr. Holland in Arizona for tick diseadse, Negative (wew!).

We have a new grandson to meet - waiting bags packed and in car, along with Sadie's bed, food, militias of meds. We won't be out of town long, just to meet wee William and then back home. I hope all goes well with Sadie.

If all does go well and PCV numbers continue to climb, we'll wean CERY csusiously AND slowly this next time. I have been told that Sadie will most likely be on maintenance for her life - I question that, but too - that is fine. Her health and quality of life is my only goal. She has been such a little trooper through it all.

So sorry not to have posted, but will from here on out - like I said - seven children, new grand children, 97 year old father, sick puppy - well, heck - sanity - what's that?!?!!

Love and hugs to all, Linda & Sadie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:14 am 
Active Forum Member

Sorry for all the typos - hope my words are understood - ALWAYS rushing!!!!

XO - Linda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:53 am 
I Rescue Cockers

Well....let's start with the good stuff. congrats on the new grandbaby. I hope you enjoy the trip and it goes well.

Sorry to hear Sadie crashed. I just want to mention, when we tried (after 5 months) to wean Annie her numbers started to drop. She was put back on all meds at the original dosages. We kept her there for six weeks before lowering the pred dose. Then after one month of being stable on that dose, we lowered the cyclosporine. We have had her on those two lowered doses now since April of this year (one year from diagnosis). In September we will try to lower the cyclosporine again (from 50 mg. down to 30 mg.) and see if she stays stable on that. She will likely need a maintenance dose for life although obviously we can't know that as yet. It will likely be something like 5mg. Pred. every other day, 20 mg. cyclosporine every other day, Denamarin daily (her liver numbers are perfect right now), the aspirin daily and her thyroid pills daily. If possible we will go with getting her off the cyclosporine completely but the earliest for that would be next year. It really needs to be very slow and lowering only one med at a time. I just wanted you to get a picture of how slowly we are doing this in the hopes of preventing a relapse.

As far as the palsy, Annie benefitted from having facial massage daily. I think I posted before I would do a warm water towel first then massage the face from ear down her jawline and back again. I would also gently close the eyelid, open it, close it, etc. I do think that helped.

Good luck and please keep us posted as it's possible. By the way, I have two of my five dogs on 12 meds between them at six different times during the day. My mom is 89. You're right....sanity is over-rated.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:26 pm 
Forum Legend

Linda, I think it was me that mentioned the palsy might move to the other side. My cocker did the same thing, and now that I think about it (it was a long time ago), her palsy moved almost the next day as well. Sadie will recover from it. My girl had her palsy for 7 weeks on each side, but no side affects or recurrances afterwards, so give her time. She has a LOT going on now, poor girl, and there is nothing medically she can take for the pasy so focus on the AIHA. I would try the massages like Vickie mentioned. I did not do that, but I would bet it would give her some comfort and relief.
Have a safe trip.

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:36 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thanks SO much Vickie! Which one is Annie in the picture? I am sorry you and Annie are going through all this too, but it helps so much to hear from someone that -we CAN get through this horrible disease and it's complications. I will do that today - the warm towel and massage the way you say. I have been massaging daily, but think I did it more often on the right side (hummm....perhaps why shorter time, less severe).

Yes, weaning will be VERY slow, by small increments and one med at a time. Dr. Dodds actually sent a sample of a weaning process for Sadie, which Dr. Hamilton knows I will insist we adhere to. He knows I was against the aggressive prior weaning and upset with him when she crashed. He is truly very caring and was open to conferring with Dr. Dodds - otherwise, I would have found a better vet. He has been on mark with the meds, except I did have to insist on the aspirin (we're using 1/2 tab Plavix daily). And he put her on the PetTinic even before I conversed with Dr. Dodds. I do feel it has been beneficial.

About two weeks ago, she started having VERY loose stools. Of course, Dr. Hamilton sold me some horrible vet dog food, along with a pro-biotic powder and Endosorb tabs. She has never had a dog food with grain and those vet dog foods have SO much grain. And although she has not thrown up since her diagnosis if AIHA in late March, she did spit up some of that food several times. She would not eat anything with the probiotic powder in it. However, she loves the Endosorb. At this point it's not much better, but I'm giving her organic pumpkin (which she's not fond of) and a bit of plain Greek yogurt, no sugar, flavorings. She loves plain, low-fat yogurt, so she scarffs that down. It has helped a bit. Any suggestions for anything else?

How do handle all the critters and an 89 year old (although, congratulations - wonderful that we have them with us, right!)? Yes, sanity IS totally over rated. Who wants, a boring hum-drum life. But managing this disease, just managing, would be a wonderful accomplishment. :Clap

Again, thank you for writing. Your pups are ALL beautiful.

Love to you all, Linda & Sadie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:40 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

Annie is the fourth one from the left - the chocolate and tan.

It sounds as if you have a good handle on things right now. Please keep us posted as you can.

Add to the mix we also took in a feral kitten we're working with too. I manage nothing; I just keep paddling like mad! :lol3

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:51 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi Terry. Yes, it absolutely was you. Your words were so consoling and was not so frightened after reading. Again, i don't want ANY dog to have to deal with this incredibly cruel and unrelenting disease, much less deal with the palsy, but reading your post and knowing Sadie can get over this helped so much.

I think i have mentioned this before, but I am also on the VetNet forum (UK) and although there are so many poor little (and big) pups with AIHA, there are not many (if any) cockers and I don't think any of the dogs on this forum have dealt with the palsy (Hornet's). It's amazing how many cocker spaniels come down with it. And equally surprising to me is that my dear friends down the street work with a local greyhound rescue here in Tampa and at any given time have at least four greyhounds at their hones (I adore them ALL!), and have never heard of AIHA, before Sadie (their adopted wanna be greyhound). Greyhounds are high on the "breed" list for AIHA also.

Sadie is giving me that look (outside). She's been so good. Off we go, out.
:run

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:55 pm 
Active Forum Member

Vickie, Annie is beautiful. Love the color combination. Sadie has gained a lot of grey through all these meds. Salt and pepper - like her mom, although she's only four.

I'm so glad she's doing well. :TWag

XO - Linda & Sadie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:28 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi all. So sorry I have not posted in such a long time. All the sudden I have FIVE grand children. The human kind. Geeze!

But to update on little Ms. Sadie. She is doing well. Her last PCV was 44 (her PCV prior to AIHA was 46, so this good). We are weaning again (here's hoping no more relapses, but we're going VERY slow this time). We're still not out of the woods and she will most likely be on a maintenance for her life, but that's okay. Just having this precious pup around is wonderful and I am thankful for each and every day with her.

We were weaning off the Prednisone and down to 15mg a day, but she still had the palsy and had some really bad bowel problems, so we stopped further weaning of the Prednisone and started weaning off the Atopica. We are weaning 25% for one month - so it's a very slow, gradual weaning. We did the same with the prednisone from 40mg a day to now 15mg a day (10mg in the AM and 5mg in the PM), for now and staying there until weaned off the Atopica completely (we hope). The Atopica is a little trickier, as the doses in high increments and the pills can not be split (it's a liquid capsule). So, we have just started, three weeks in, from 50mg a day to 35mg a day (25mg in the AM and 10mg in the PM). Amazingly, I have already seen a difference in her potty time, but she still can not close her right eye. We still do the ointment every day, several times a day. She's such a little fighter and I am so proud of her.

I hope you all are good. I have to catch up on the posts.

Love and hugs to all, Linda and hanging-in-her Sadie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:13 am 
Active Forum Member

Hello everyone. I have not been online here is so long. I just wanted you all to know that Sadie is still with me. She's such a little fighter. We have had several additional relapses, PCV was down to 11 last July, 2015, but after two transfusions and a year of more horrible but life-saving pred and Atopica, she is hanging in and we are weaning to a maintenance pred dose.

I am told that she has a gall bladder mucus plug and needs her gall bladder removed. No way, she is not stable enough for surgery, much less that drastic surgery and that she is a walking time bomb. So, we take it one day at a time, still. She is in no pain.

Sending love and puppy hugs to all,

Linda and Sadie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:21 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Thanks for the update. Praying she keeps fighting and wishing for a good quality of life and lots of wonderful memories.

Kudah-French Brittany rescued 06-2008
Blu - Buff Merle born 05-13-2010/Home on 08-28-2014