An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: How much do others pay for a dental
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:58 pm 
Active Forum Member

Holly had to go for her rabies shot and wellness exam today,my regular vet is off on sick leave,so we had to see another vet.She was good with Holly but abit pushy for extras.I asked about Glucoflex pills for her stiffness ,wanted opinion the next thing I know its on the bill,thought she heard a heart murmer on left side and asked if she had any symptoms,I said no she could out do the younger dogs anytime.Looked at Holly's teeth and said they should be cleaned because infection could make a heart problem worse,instead of giving me Holly's rabies tag and certificate she's doing up an estimate for teeth cleaning,X-rays etc and it comes to is $1015 and while she is out should check her heart- X-rays and EKG is $595.Sorry but I can't afford that.I'm trying to run the house and buy winter wood by myself.It was over $1000 last summer for Holly's surgery which didn't help the problem and almost $1500 for Hunter since Christmas. My regular vet wouldn't push for this,would give me both sides and let me decide,would also give things to try like brush her teeth more,more dental chews etc. This has been my vet practice since 1988 and my sisters use them as well so we give them quite abit of business and always pay right away but we are starting to become unhappy with them as it seems they are more concerned with the MONEY than with their clients.We already refuse to see one vet that is on staff.
Sorry just had to vent.

Post subject: Re: How much do others pay for a dental
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:53 pm 
Forum Legend

We pay somewhere over $300, which I think includes pre-op bloodwork.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:55 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Get a second and third opinion. My dogs teeth are good but for my on information I asked how much was for teeth cleaning and I was told $200. I had gone there for an ACL for my Brittany that cost me $450. They gave me options and they said that if I needed they would work with me to make any arrangement for affordable payments I would like I appreciated that they were candid with me. Please check around. Since you know what they want to charge you for with that information you can even call around for estimates. Good luck.
P.S. blood work was $60.

Kudah - French Brittany rescued June 2008

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:26 pm 
Active Forum Member

I had Lexi and Mandi's teeth cleaned June 2011 and it cost just over $1000 for both of them. This includes before and after pictures, and x-ray if needed, anesthetic, and fluids but no extractions, (they are shiny white when done). That did not include pre-op blood work I chose not to go to the added expense.

I brush my girls teeth at least once a day with Petzlife gel in addition I also spray them with Petzlife spray. It been less than a year yet and Mandi needs her teeth cleaned again. The vet reminded me that if I did not brush them at all I would be cleaning them even more frequently (she is right). She also told me she has a client who has to have her dog's teeth cleaned every 3 months - so I guess I should be grateful it is only once a year.

I used to go to another vet who charged about $100 for teeth cleaning but I also was told some very very bad things about this clinic, so I have put the welfare of my girls ahead of the $$. I have called around my town to other reputable vet clinics and it is about $500 so I think for my area it is a fair price and you get what you pay for because the technicians seem to care and love my girls as much as I do so I know they are in good hands and being well cared for.

Sasha~Chocolate Sable~1/30/2010

Waiting At Rainbow Bridge; Brandy~Red/White Parti Cocker~7/96-11/2008

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:32 am 
Active Forum Member

This is the estimate prices:dental scaling & polishing - 288.50, dental surgery- 188.00(may not be needed),anastetic - 124.00(maybe less), blood work - 115.50, X-ray - 80.00, ampicillin sodium -23.80,doxirobe gel -50.00, novo Lexin- 19.62,tax-133.41. TOTAL - $1022.83

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:33 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

rhonda roberts wrote:
This is the estimate prices:dental scaling & polishing - 288.50, dental surgery- 188.00(may not be needed),anastetic - 124.00(maybe less), blood work - 115.50, X-ray - 80.00, ampicillin sodium -23.80,doxirobe gel -50.00, novo Lexin- 19.62,tax-133.41. TOTAL - $1022.83

I live where everything is over the top expensive. So expensive that I take my babies back home to KY for routine care. With that being said the vet here only wanted $250 for the cleaning. And that included everything. Beyond that if extractions were needed they were $50 per tooth.

Wow that is an expensive quote.

Artemis-Non-Cocker (Shih Tzu) 12/21/2002
Maliika-Missed everyday - June 24,2002 - March 20, 2010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:54 am 
Active Forum Member

We're in the DC Metro area where everything is expensive. I just paid around $350 for Cleo's dental which included pre and post antibiotics, scale and polish, anesthesia, IV catheter. It probably would have been less for the anesthesia, but they also did a fatty tumor removal while she was under.

Edit to add: Wait a second, your vet charges tax? Is that legal?

Barkley over the Bridge ~ 10/26/05
------------------------------
Oldies But Goodies Cocker Spaniel Rescue
http://www.cockerspanielrescue.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:24 am 
Active Forum Member

Yesterday's bill was $270 for holly - anal glands-27.50, rabies and exam -80.50 and fifty glyco-flex lll 90- 44.55 and hunter - thyroid t4 vet scan -55.00 ,anal glands -27.50 tax -35.26 TOTAL -270.31 I have always paid tax at the vets

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:18 am 
Forum Legend

IMO that estimate is over the top expensive

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:41 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

Wow, my vet charges an additional $75 when they are already under for another reason. He doesn't do them just to do them. I cannot believe how expensive some vets are! My vets are considered one of the more expensive in my town.

Hannah-black/white, 06/01/02
Tonka-black/tan, 04/24/13
Roxi-Boston terrier, 05/28/2007 (grand dog)

Tucker-blue roan and tan, 10/24/02-02/12/13 (rest in peace sweet boy)

"Cockers make my heart smile."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:47 pm 
I just had Pirates teeth cleaned and it was 329 dollars, that included two extractions.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:29 pm 
Active Forum Member

Julie,

I might have to take a trip up to see you if the boys ever have to have their teeth cleaned again. It cost almost $2,000 for both dogs ( Clancy did have 12 teeth extracted ) and that did not include the blood work! I was in shock.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:10 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Louie's teeth cleaning was approximately $580, that included 7 extractions. They also withdrew urine from his bladder for a UA while he was out but didn't charge me for that.

Leila 03/21/08
Bridgette 01/12/09
Echo 08/10/12

Waiting at the Bridge: Little Sister, Savana, Tivy, Slider, Arrow and all the others, I will always love you.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:34 pm 
Claire M wrote:
Julie,

I might have to take a trip up to see you if the boys ever have to have their teeth cleaned again. It cost almost $2,000 for both dogs ( Clancy did have 12 teeth extracted ) and that did not include the blood work! I was in shock.

EGADS! Pie's was higher too because of extra anesthetic monitoring. He has an occluded trachea so they have to use a super small tube on him, which then leaks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:33 pm 
Recommended Breeder
 WWW  Profile

Ok I am never moving! Dentals here cost about $100 all inclusive.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:42 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

I can't add to the cost discussion, but we had a similar experience with one of the younger vets in our practice last year. She thought she heard a heart murmur, recommended a dental, etc. We followed up a few months later with the veteran vet we normally use (she owns the practice) and she and another vet couldn't hear a murmur at all, and also said Reese's teeth were fine (although she suggested brushing his canines more often). My advice would be not to do anything without getting an opinion from your normal vet. And I can tell you bully sticks work wonders (if only the pups chewed them with their canines!!).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:43 pm 
Forum Legend

Yes, I agree that is very high. Rocky had his done this year and it was in the $400 range. A few years ago he had 7 teeth pulled during a dental and that bill was only about $700.

Onyx just had hers cleaned when she was spayed and the vet only charged $100 extra.

Rocky (7/18/02), Onyx (10/2/10), Misty (8/15/11), and Ethan (10/20/11)
Weesister (7/18/02-7/22/10) and Killington (10/85-2/02)waiting at the bridge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:33 am 
Forum Legend

Rhonda, I know Charlie will need a dental eventually and your estimate scared me so I made a few phone calls.

- Our normal vet charges approx $800.

- I called vet clinics in Northern NB (where I'm from) and one place quoted $350 including blood works and the other place quoted $275 including blood works. All they ask from me is that I bring Charlie's vaccination certificates.

I think this makes my choice very easy...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:36 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

That sounds so high. My vet charges $14 for anal glands and $9 for nail trim(used to be free!) unless it is part of the annual physical, then it is free with the annual. When my dogs were neutered, bloodwork was only about $60. I think when we talked about teeth cleaning he said it was around $300.

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:10 pm 
Active Forum Member

Erika K. wrote:
Ok I am never moving! Dentals here cost about $100 all inclusive.

OMG Erika! I know you're in MN... It might be worth the drive for that price. Care to share your vet? I know if you take your fur-family there, they will be more than reputable.

CĂ©ilidh - Momma's Little Girl. Three Years Old

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:31 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

Wow. My regular vet charges ~$78 for a dental plus an anesthesia charge that depends on weight ... probably about $35-40. Pre-op bloodwork is extra if you want it done. Extractions are < $10 each unless there are a lot in which case he doesn't charge per tooth. Anal glands and nail trim total ~$15 together.

My rescue vet charges $90 retail for a dental including anesthesia. Pre-op bloodwork is extra and elective. If the regular vet wasn't so much closer to my house, I would probably do my personal dogs' dentals there too. I've never asked her how much she charges for extractions.

The board-certified dentist here in Memphis charges $300-600 for cleaning, but I'm pretty sure that includes all the bloodwork and other extras.

http://www.midsouthcockerrescue.com

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:23 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

Two years ago I paid in excess of $1000 for Peppers dental. Granted, mine don't need dentals very often. But his age and the fact that he had a molar removed. All the blood tests ect...

This year I had two warts removed from Stormy's eye, in fact it was last month. It cost me over $750.00 for those. Because of the blood tests and tests to be sure they were not cancerous etc. Stormy is 9 and Pepper is over 12.

pollysportraits.com