Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: CA, Vista - 8 yr buff n/m - CRIAGSLIST
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:43 pm 
I Rescue Cockers
 WWW  Profile

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/pet/3444470842.html

8 year old Cocker Spaniel (Vista)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2012-11-29, 6:24PM PST
Reply to: see below
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neutured, extremely healthy, loving, house-trained, well-mannered, wonderful companion that wants to spend the rest of his life with you.

Brad
760 940 8719

:Parti Indie Kodak's Canyonview Little Miss Independant, CGC, ThD (in training)
:Parti Bennett Kodak's Canyonview The Best Is Yet To Come, CGC, ThD (in training)

Post subject: Re: CA, Vista - 8 yr buff n/m - CRIAGSLIST
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:55 pm 
Forum Legend

:bang

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:26 am 
Forum Legend

:bang :bang

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:55 am 
Forum Legend

if he is so wonderful why get rid of him?????? :sad

Riley and Grayson my "skin kids"
Princess Bambi the bunny
Sam and Carly the hermit crabs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:44 pm 
Forum Legend

beckyboo wrote:
if he is so wonderful why get rid of him?????? :sad

To some people dogs are disposable. Then they get a new pup in no time. I'll never understand

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:06 pm 
I Rescue Cockers
 WWW  Profile

I used to think it was *always* a bad owner behind a dog getting rehomed. And I have to admit, my mind does usually jump to that at first ... but after many years doing owner relinquishments for rescue, I've learned that isn't always the case - many good people turned to us to help.

And if it was a :bang reason ... I had to always tell myself that at the VERY least, they are doing this one thing that is in the dog's best interest (the ones who worked with Rescue) - the dog finally has a chance at the kind of home those of us here provide.

:Parti Bennett Kodak's Canyonview The Best Is Yet To Come, CGC, ThD (in training)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:54 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Thank You Peggy for reminding us that there is not only one reason for finding a new home for our beloved pets.
And no its not always because they became a burden or cost to much for up keep or that they were getting old.

I for one know of a young lady who was given a roan cocker spaniel for a gift. She had 5 kids at home and a husband who was abusive to her and the kids. Nobody knew to what extent she was being abused not even her family. She had no work experience and also had a learning disorder. She loved not only her kids but, her cocker spaniel as well. She grew up with dog's and had grown to love the breed as her mother had a cocker spaniel when this girl was growing up.

This young lady had to make a choice of leaving her dog or having her children taken away from her. You see her kids were going to school, and telling the teachers what was happening in the home. Their father was threatening their mother and the kids were seeing this going on. The oldest son would not even sleep at night in fear his mother would be hurt and it affected his school work. She did go to the state for help but there was nothing they could or would do for her until the school stepped in.
The state finally stepped in and took the kids from school and told the mother that she had to make a choice. Stay in the home where her kids were seeing the abuse and where her beloved Cocker Spaniel named O-wind was or leave right then and not tell anyone where she was until they could get her a new place to live. The state told her they were going to take her kids and place them if she did not leave right then. She had no choice but to leave with her kids while her now ex husband was away at work and to leave her O-wind behind.

She had to leave her dog with her husband as it was court ordered that the dog not be moved or given away. The way the judge put it was that, when the kids were finally allowed to go on supervised visitations, the dog would be there to help them cope with the change. O-wind was a stable loving part of their lives and very protective of the kids and young mother.

This young lady and her 5 kids had to find a new place to live and it ended up being in a low income housing apt. She was NOT allowed to have pets of any kind in this apt and it still hurts her to know her Ex and his new wife (he had been seeing her for 2 years while married to this young lady) have her beloved Cocker spaniel. According to the kids O-wind is being mistreated by the Ex-husband and his new wife. But there is NOTHING she or anyone can do. According to the SPCA as long as the dog is not starving, left outside, or neglected it can stay there.

So before you go judging how ANYONE can leave their beloved pet or give them up...maybe you should remember that things happen in life and not everyone has a home they own or an apt that allows pets. Maybe we should all remember that things happen in life and we have no control of what the outcome is. Sometimes people need a little compassion as well as their pets in understanding we are all human and not everything is perfect. Sometimes we have no choice in the hard decisions we have to make.
Oh and by the way..the young lady and her 5 kids...well they are My oldest daughter and my grandchildren. And yes, we knew something was going on in the home but she refused to tell us and until she was ready to change things there was nothing we could do to help her. She loved her O-wind and would take him in a heartbeat but she has resigned herself to the fact that her kids came first, but she still worries about her cocker spaniel she had to leave behind.
Someday when her life is less hectic with counseling appointments for her kids (16 yr boy has anger issues, 14yr old daughter is cutting herself, 12 yr old daughter is doing ok, twin 10 yr old boy and girl are also doing ok) She will then think of some day having another cocker spaniel to call her own. But until then her kids come first as it should be.
So Flame away if you want. I can take it, but remember we aren't all perfect as some of us pretend to be in passing judgement on others and our reasons for doing the things we do.

TUCKER Black Cocker 10-15-99 to 01-06-2010 We Miss you big boy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:11 am 
I Rescue Cockers
 WWW  Profile

Dawn's experience is a good example of one of the situations I was talking about. We can never judge - only do what we can for the dogs.

Owner relinquishments were hard - either it was a bone-headed owner who never should have had a dog in the first place :bang OR it was the owner whose heart was breaking because, no matter how they stacked it, the Cocker had to be looked out for in a new home :cry Both are heartwrenching to the Rescue Volunteer who gets handed the leash!