Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: MSCSR: Puddin needs a pacemaker
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:49 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

Attachment:
puddin103012 zim.jpg
puddin103012 zim.jpg [ 57.9 KiB | Viewed 2279 times ]

We rescued Puddin back in May from Memphis Animal Services. She came into the shelter as a stray with an injury to her ear flap. That injury turned out to be an embedded rubber band. Thanks to our excellent vets, the ear flap was saved and the damage repaired. Puddin was adopted into a home shortly after she recovered from surgery but was returned because the adopter decided she wasn't happy there. We now know that what that adopter saw as Puddin being unhappy was actually early signs of her developing heart problem.

When the problem was diagnosed earlier this month, we were taken by surprise. Puddin went in to be checked for possible hypothyroidism and came home diagnosed with a grade 3 heart block. Our regular vet has referred us to the Cardiology team at the LSU Vet School where Puddin can be further evaluated and then have surgery to have a pacemaker implanted.

Most people don't even know that dogs can get pacemakers. On this forum we've all followed Peaches' pacemaker success story, so we know the wonderful quality of life Puddin could have if she is able to get the surgery she needs.

I want to be able to offer Puddin the same happily ever after that Peaches has, but I can't do it without your help. Puddin's cardiology workup and surgery to implant the pacemaker will cost $2500-2700. We're currently planning to be at LSU on November 6th for the testing with surgery to be done on the 7th. Payment will be due when the surgery is done.

We've set up a ChipIn for donations towards Puddin's surgery: http://mscsr.chipin.com/puddins-pacemaker-surgery. Any amount that you can spare will help us reach our goal.

http://www.midsouthcockerrescue.com

Last edited by Steph on Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: MSCSR: Puddin needs a pacemaker
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:35 am 
Active Forum Member

Puddin, this is Peaches. As a fellow wise-beyond-her-years lady, let me tell you that I know exactly what you're going through. My heart was being unhappy too, but after a lot of pokin' and proddin' in some unmentionable places, the nice doc told me he'd put a clock in my heart! Whaaat, I said? Yep, says he, my heart - just like yours, I suspect - was so joyous with my mama that it had to be controlled with something that makes paces. I still don't know what that means, and sure I had a big boo-boo one day after the vet kept me at his office for a few hours, but GUESS WHAT?! I feel so much better now! I can run, hop, skip, bound up stairs, and eat big meals without losing my breath. I can cuddle with mama on the couch for hours and then go for a long walk because I know I haven been given the chance to smell new roses everyday! I believe it's what they call, Living Large. :wink

This is Priyanka, Peaches' mama. 3 years ago, Peaches had many of the same issues that Puddin is going through - coughing, lethargy, wheezing, loss of appetite, etc. After extensive testing and many prayers, we found that Peaches had a Grade 4 murmur, enlarged heart, and Stage 3 cardiomyopathy or Congestive Heart Failure. In Peaches' case, 3 out of 4 valves in her heart were not adequately pumping blood and supplying oxygen to the rest of her body. The cardiologist told us that without intervention, Peaches had at best 3-6 months more to live. She was not yet 12 years old at the time. This was in June 2009; we decided to go ahead with the pacemaker surgery.

It has now been 3.5 years since her surgery and Peaches is a picture of health and happiness! She has recovered her zest for life and has discovered walks! toys! bully sticks! cuddles in bed! chasing a ball! sniffing the morning air! running up stairs! Having rescued Peaches myself, I cannot tell you how much gratitude and unending joy I feel when I see her smiling or doing her happy dance or guarding the refrigerator for her carrot treats. At 15.5 years of age, my princess is still with me, sharing life's little ups and downs. I know in my heart that she would not be lying at my feet at this very instant if I had not decided to take a chance, empty my wallet, and have that pacemaker surgery 3 years ago. She is worth every dollar ever spent, and then some.

Please find it in your heart to donate for Puddin's pacemaker surgery. She will have wonderful quality of life for a long time to come, and her blessings will follow you forever. I know that firsthand - Peaches blesses me every day with her presence.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:54 pm 
Forum Legend

Steph,

Would the ASC rescue/foundation program cover any of the costs?

Colleen K

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:53 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

Thanks, Priyanka, for your words. I am grateful to "know" Peaches and you through this forum and don't know if the my rescue would have pursued getting a pacemaker for Puddin without having seen how successful Peaches' surgery was.

Colleen, yes, ASC-F will be able to help some. I've been in touch with Sharon about Puddin, but at this point we don't know how much funding the Foundation Board will approve.

I am just getting back from an adoption event and have seen several notifications come through on my email throughout the day. I want to thank each of you who has donated to Puddin's surgery fund. I think we are about 25% of the way there right now and feel optimistic that we will reach our goal and be at LSU on November 6th.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:07 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

We're still only just past 25% of the way to our funding goal for Puddin's surgery. She's feeling a bit under the weather today (as am I), but I think it's just the weather change.

Today has been cold and windy, so we're all bundled up inside. Puddin is doing a re-enactment of the "Princess and the Pea" having settled in on top of the pile of dog beds I made when I was vaccuuming. I guess there's no such thing as too much cushioning when a girl wants to nap.

Thanks so much to everyone who has donated and/or shared Puddin's story. I believe that somehow we will reach our goal and give Puddin the surgery she needs to save her life.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:28 pm 
Forum Legend

Steph sent you a pm.

Mom to dear Holly AKA Holly Caramel Candy 10/99-02/13 who went to meet Monchi, Sasha 1 and 2, in the Rainbow Bridge.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:46 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

Thanks for the PM, may holly. It looks like these ChipIn links don't always work if you're not on a regular computer. If anyone has trouble with the link, you can also use https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=FEET84UXUBVPA to send a donation directly. Just put a note that it's for Puddin's surgery.

If you would like to mail a check, our UPS Store mailbox is:

Mid-South Cocker Spaniel Rescue
4728 Spottswood Ave. #300
Memphis, TN 38117