Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: The best way to ......
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:38 pm 
Active Forum Member

Rehome our cocker spaniel puppy?
Our cocker has bitten both my husband and daughter, we contacted a trainer who said he was safeguarding his treats. we have tried to correct this for him but with time and small children it is proving a struggle, he needs someone who can dedicate more time to him on this. I just want the best for him, in general he is a smashing dog who is playful amd fun, great with other dogs etc...its just the treats/chewy stick issues. And i cant risk this with children. I do not know the best way to go about this so any info would be great fully received.

Post subject: Re: The best way to ......
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:52 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Lisa - Welcome....
Is it possible to take away the treats? And only give him treats in a controlled environment (like in his crate) away from your daughter. If he is protecting treats and is generally happy otherwise, then remove them from the equation? I have one who is possessive over her treats and everyone elses. So she is isolated when treats are given.

Just a thought---

Artemis-Non-Cocker (Shih Tzu) 12/21/2002
Maliika-Missed everyday - June 24,2002 - March 20, 2010

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:08 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi Donna, and thank you!

I have tired this and it's fine until he sneaks his treat out!
I'm just so scared as to if and what could set him off again? my youngest was sat down he was next to him and she had her arm over him hugging him and he gave her the glare and growl :-( I want to do what is best for him, and feel rehoming if possible would be the best option for someone who has the time for him to re train him correctly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:41 pm 
Forum Legend

Lisa:

I'm sending you a private message. Please check your email.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:49 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thank you Tina :-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:56 pm 
Active Forum Member

Lisa, your childs safety comes first! If you have to rehome you pup, don't feel bad, just do what you have to do.
Good luck.
Susan :paw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:06 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thank you Susan, I know it is what we have to do but want to go the right way about it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:36 pm 
Forum Legend

Lisa, how old is your cocker pup?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:46 pm 
Forum Legend

Lisa,

I'm so sorry that you are placed in this position. I know how heartbreaking this has to be for you. I'm sure you had many hopes and dreams of your children and puppy growing up together.

You don't mention how old your pup is or if he is neutered ... this could be a determining factor in retraining. I don't know much about re homing but the first place I would check would be the original breeder if possible. My next step would be contacting local rescues. Unfortunately, a dog that resource guards will be hard to place but if he is young enough there may be hope for him.

Perhaps others on the board will give you additional ideas. I pray that all works out for your pup and your family.

Chesapeake NF, AX, AXJ (CGC)
4/20/10

The road to MACH is full of jumps and weaves....

Competing in Master Agility
Double Q's - 3
MACH Points -126
MX Q's - 4
MJX Q's - 4

(edited 12/17)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:50 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi,

He is 10mths old, neutered and all up to date with his shots. :-) We are in the bay area of CA.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:10 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Lisa_F wrote:
Hi Donna, and thank you!

I have tired this and it's fine until he sneaks his treat out!
I'm just so scared as to if and what could set him off again? my youngest was sat down he was next to him and she had her arm over him hugging him and he gave her the glare and growl :-( I want to do what is best for him, and feel rehoming if possible would be the best option for someone who has the time for him to re train him correctly.

Lisa - I am sorry this did not work for you. I wish you much luck in finding a good home for him.

Artemis-Non-Cocker (Shih Tzu) 12/21/2002
Maliika-Missed everyday - June 24,2002 - March 20, 2010

Last edited by DonnaD on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:52 am 
I Rescue Cockers

My son has trained many dogs both large and small. When they resource guard, he takes the food/toy away and holds it up to his mouth. The leader of any pack eats first. I also would not give treats to him, but instead train with praise.

Hannah-black/white, 06/01/02
Tonka-black/tan, 04/24/13
Roxi-Boston terrier, 05/28/2007 (grand dog)

Tucker-blue roan and tan, 10/24/02-02/12/13 (rest in peace sweet boy)

"Cockers make my heart smile."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:38 am 
Forum Moderator
 WWW  Profile

So sorry to hear about your troubles with your pup.

Question #1 - have you contacted his breeder to see if they will either take him back or help you find him a new home? Sometimes breeders have a list of people looking for puppies, but those people might consider an older dog. You need to be very honest and up front about why he needs a new home.

Question #2 - have you consulted a trainer? It sounds like your boy has resource guarding issues, and while they can really be an issue, usually they are not too hard to work out, especially with the guidance of a good trainer.

Question #3 - I am absolutely clueless as to US geography, but have you contacted either San Diego Spaniel Rescue or Camp Cocker?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:45 pm 
I Rescue Cockers
 WWW  Profile

Thank you for turning to a Cocker savvy group for help with this dilemma. Your pup is still young, but almost an adult. Now is the best time to get him the help he needs (well, second best, but better now than later is what I mean!). If you didn't have children in the home I would have suggested the book MINE! - A PRACTICAL GUIDE TO RESOURCE GUARDING IN DOGS by Jean Donaldson. A must-read for anyone keeping a resource guarder who wants to help the dog get past this issue.

But with children in the home, there is danger. I am going to go out on a limb here - did you either get him from a pet store or did he leave his litter before he was 10-12 weeks old? In my experience the resource guarders tend to start out that way ... Just curious.

Because he is still young, I'd check with a Rescue that isn't already at capacity that has the means to handle a youngster like this. I'd check with Second Chance (they have a presence in NorCal) to see if they are in a position to take him. And I know I'm going WAY out of geographic area, but maybe PM Terry In Texas to see if Gulf Coast Cocker Rescue in Houston TX might be of help? They have a strong training program, that is one of the reasons that rescue started in the first place, to help with the Cockers that needed more in depth training in their rehab. And with him being so young, it's worth asking.

You mention that he is fine until he "sneaks the treats" back ... where is he sneaking them from? How out of reach are they if he can still get to them? I'm not trying to be mean - just asking real-life questions, in an effort to either help you control the issue and keep hiim or to at least control the issue to keep your children safe until he heads to a new home.

As someone said, DEFINITELY be very frank, upfront and honest about his issues with anyone you talk to. And know that if he bites, even just once - his chances of rehoming dwindle down to almmost nil - so if you are looking to rehome, look hard, and don't put it off.

Hugs to you, your family and to him during this difficult time!

:Parti Indie Kodak's Canyonview Little Miss Independant, CGC, ThD (in training)
:Parti Bennett Kodak's Canyonview The Best Is Yet To Come, CGC, ThD (in training)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:16 pm 
Active Forum Member

Many, many thanks for all your advice :-) it really has been a tough week. I ended up contacting my vet, whoo spoke to in depth and he contacted a lady they use who rescues dogs and gives them the support and training required before placing them in a forever home. I know we are doing the right thing, but it's still heartbreaking to have to do for the family and the dog himself.
it just makes me so sad to think about it :cry

We got him at 9 weeks old.

Again, thank you for all of your help.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:29 pm 
I Rescue Cockers
 WWW  Profile

Lisa, you are doing the right thing. He really missed out on some important socialization from his litter and mom between weeks 9 - 12 that might have helped him be less guarded. Don't be sad - know that with YOUR love and thoughtfulness he is now in the hands of someone with the know-how to help him on to a long happy life, overcoming his early lack of complete socialization. Rejoice in knowing that without stopping off to spend some loving time with you, he wouldn't have gotten this help. YOU are an important part of his rehab and are now ... a part of Rescue, a part of the Solution! Thank you for loving him!!

:Parti Indie Kodak's Canyonview Little Miss Independant, CGC, ThD (in training)
:Parti Bennett Kodak's Canyonview The Best Is Yet To Come, CGC, ThD (in training)