An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Adapting to a new home
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:26 pm 
Forum Legend

I have been actively searching for a Cocker to adopt. One of my co-workers told me today that Cocker Spaniels don't do well with second families, that they don't bond well and that there could be an issue with biting. She said her fiancee worked at an animal shelter in the past and that nearly every adult Cocker they placed was brought back.
What are your thoughts on this? Please help with any concerns, what to avoid, etc...

I have a 9-yr-old so I want to make a responsible decision.

At the rainbow bridge:
~Rufus, gray tabby cat (as of August 2013)

Post subject: Re: Adapting to a new home
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:35 pm 
Forum Legend

Karen,

I first want to thank you for considering adopting a rescued cocker. If you go to the rescue section of this forum, you will find tons of success and happy stories. I don't think cockers have a more difficult time than any other breed to adapt to a new home. I think it's hard for ANY dog breed to go through such a drastic change. I think (my opinion based on my experience) that cockers are very sensitive but with the attention, care, help and patience needed, they can do more than well in a second home.

I'm sure people who rescued a cocker who have fostered a cocker will be more than happy to give you more information. I just wanted to point out that (I don't think) it is a breed problem.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:30 pm 
Forum Legend

Thank you, Vicky.
I couldn't imagine why Cockers would be more difficult to rehome but I've never had the privilege to be owned by one. LOL

If anyone has suggestions on what to look for that would "raise a red flag", so to speak, I would appreciate it.

At the rainbow bridge:

Last edited by Karen in KY on Wed May 25, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:53 pm 
Forum Legend

Karen in KY wrote:
If anyone has suggestions on what to look for that would "raise a red flag", so to speak, I would appreciate it.

I'm just copying these from Jim's Tips for Buying Cocker Puppies, which basically applies to not only buying puppies, but adult's from breeders too. :wv

Quote:

http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/tips-buying.html

1.The best breeders will have had both parents certified by the Orthopedic Foundation For Animals (OFA/OFFA) to be free of genetic hip defects and by the Canine Eye Registry Foundation (CERF) to be free of genetic eye defects. Commercial breeders, backyard breeders, and puppy mills... most of whom are just trying to make money off of their dogs... will never go to the trouble or the expense of having these tests done.

2. If the breeder won't let you meet the parents, it's a big red flag that something funny might be going on

3.Don't buy from a breeder willing to ship the puppy to you without meeting you first!

4. Buy a puppy raised in a family environment. Visit the breeder and get a feel for whether the puppies are a business commodity or cherished and spoiled. Its all too common in dogs bought from pet stores or high-volume breeders where the dogs are kept in cages and do not receive frequent human interaction.

5. Never buy a puppy from a pet store, no matter where the pet store says the puppy came from

6. Ask to see the pedigree of any puppy you are considering purchasing, check for inbreeding.

7. Buy an 8-10 week old puppy. Don't buy a puppy younger than 8 weeks of age, no matter what the breeder tells you. 5-6 week old puppies may very well be eating plenty of solid food, but this alone does not mean they are ready to be on their own.

8. Beware of breeders that will not allow you to look around their house. Some breeders won't ever let you see where the dogs are kept. If the breeder brings a puppy out to you, but won't let you see where the rest of the dogs are... this is a red flag

9. In the United States, ask the breeder if the puppies are registered with the American Kennel Club. In Canada, it should be the Canadian Kennel Club. It's usually a red flag if the breeder has registered the puppies with a different organization, or has not registered them at all.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:34 pm 
Forum Legend

I can't imagine anybody labeling a cocker as a dog that canNOT adjust to a second home or bond to a second owner. I think with kids you have to be careful with any dog since you don't know their past.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:35 am 
I Rescue Cockers

I have adopted all ten of my Cockers from shelters or Rescue. I think they have all bonded with us very well. We never had one that didn't bond, even Cockers we have fostered.

I don't know why people at shelters don't like Cockers. I have seen it happen at many different shelters. We adopted Barkley, who had been at the shelter for five months. He was adopted and returned the next morning because he supposedly nipped at a child. Who knows what the child did to Barkley. We were only allowed to adopt Barkley because we had no children. Barkley was the most gentle, friendly Cocker we have ever had. He loved everyone, especially our young granddaughter.

I am very involved with Columbus Cocker Rescue. We adopt out hundreds of Cockers each year and the number who are returned is not that high. Most of the returns we do have are due to illness or financial problems the owner is having.

The furkids:
Blackie, Brandon, Beezus, Brownie, Bridget, Brandy Jo, Bailey

Waiting at the Bridge:

Brittany 1994-2005
Barkley 1996-2007
Bubba 1994-2008
Buffie 1998-2010
Braggs 2002-2015
Blondie 2002-2017
Betsy 2005-2017

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:08 pm 
Forum Legend

Thanks everyone for your input. I so appreciate your wisdom. Everyone has been great. I'm still looking and now I feel reassured.

At the rainbow bridge:

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:58 pm 
Forum Legend

Karen, take your time in finding the right dog for your family and please keep us posted. I can't wait to see who will be the lucky one. :joy

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:45 am 
Active Forum Member

I have been owned by both breeder cockers and rescue cockers, bottom line my 4 rescue cockers love me just as much and just as quickly as my other cockers ever did, there was no difference for me.

I personally think it's the human that makes the difference and not the dog. I'm an easy-going, affectionate, kind and loving human and dogs respond in a positive way to me. My personality is very similar to a cockers (except I don't lick you and follow you around everywhere :ROFL ), but I love to go for walks and be silly and love my home and my peeps. I'm a cuddler, it's why I love spaniels. There are as many different breeds of dogs as there are people types. Look at your own personality and life-style and then find a breed that is similar to you. Good luck in finding that special furbaby.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:51 am 
Active Forum Member

I too have rescue cockers and could not be happier with both of them. As all the others have stated look for the right one,
thank you for thinking of rescue. I will be for my next ones.

Colleen

Loved by;

Buttons, rescue cocker, sweet old man
Maggie, rescue cocker, mommies little girl
Sabre, minature aussie, big girl of the group
Bo the cat (and only at feeding time )

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:22 pm 
Forum Legend

Elke wrote:
I'm an easy-going, affectionate, kind and loving human and dogs respond in a positive way to me. My personality is very similar to a cockers (except I don't lick you and follow you around everywhere) :ROFL

How funny! :lol
I'm definately taking my time to try to find THE one. It's hard, though, to be patient.

At the rainbow bridge:

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:06 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

Karen, I have been fostering for several years now and can attest that every one of my fosters have adapted and bonded very easily to my family and my own dogs. Cockers are very happy dogs and love to please their family. If you are looking to adopt the right dog, I do have a young red and white male that I am fostering who is ready to find his new furever home. He is housebroken, bonds very well to humans, loves hanging out with his foster dog buddies, and is a very laid back and easy dog. If you would like to consider Noah, please PM me so we can further discuss to see if he is the perfect fit for your family. Noah would be an easy first cocker as he is very gentle and an absolute joy to have around.

Hannah-black/white, 06/01/02
Tonka-black/tan, 04/24/13
Roxi-Boston terrier, 05/28/2007 (grand dog)

Tucker-blue roan and tan, 10/24/02-02/12/13 (rest in peace sweet boy)

"Cockers make my heart smile."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:47 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

I know this was an old post and I hope that you found your new family member.
Daisy came to us as a three year old who had a bad experience at a preshoolers birthday party and was badly hurt, in more ways than one.Apparently the situation escalated and she ended up at the vet's with instructions to put her down. The vet opted to take her instead and found a foster home for her after her ribs healed ( 2 broken ). She came to us 4 months later. We are perfect for her. We are old people with no family around and very little contact with small children who frighten her. Gee, I can't understand that.
She is perfect for us,she's a happy bum wiggler who wants nothing more than to please us. Its hard not to spoil her. Certainly she is one of the most pig headed animals that I have ever met but so far I have won all the battles. It has only been six weeks and there have been a few times when I have wondered whether this was a good idea but she turns another corner in her approach to us and we to her and all is well.
I have had some super dogs in my life, perfect for the time. Daisy is perfect for this time in our life. A loving, gentle creature who has wiggled her way into our hearts.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:57 pm 
Forum Legend

Karen I think Cockers have a great ability to adapt and bond as long as they are care and loved. Years ago we inherited :tg my oldest sister 2 Cockers as she moved to a place were there were no dogs allowed. They adapted greatly to the point of no return back to my sister. My other sister dog sat her best friend's Cocker named Buddy. Initially she was to go to the house and feed him, she ended taking him home with her for 2 weeks. She spoiled him rotten and she was on vacation so the dog got all the attention he needed. When she returned the dog to her friend, which had no clue my sister took him home with her, the dog did not want to leave. Her friend's husband was "What did you do to him?" Figure he got all the attention and love he needed. So there are so many circumstances, so don't be afraid of rescuing.

Mom to dear Holly AKA Holly Caramel Candy 10/99-02/13 who went to meet Monchi, Sasha 1 and 2, in the Rainbow Bridge.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:18 am 
Active Forum Member

We also acquired two of our cockers through adoption without difficult. The first (Midnight) really bonded with my youngest daughter who was 4 at the time. The second (Sandy) is still with us today. Sandy was over a year old when she came home with us and had to be house broken. Thank goodness we had two well trained miniature poodles who were very helpful in this area. It took awhile for Sandy to allow us to hug her. Now she's a "love bug". Unfortunately, many puppies are very abused and I'm sure this is reflective in their behavior. I guess I'm an old sap and believe that they too are entitled to good homes if at all possible. :hp