An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: The Decision to Foster...Changing One Life at a Time
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:56 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

I was not interested in fostering. I attempted in August. I filled out the foster paper work after visiting a scared little Cocker Spaniel named Lady at the Nelson County Humane Society. I went in for my second visit and to talk with the girl who set up the foster home visits. Instead of a scheduled home visit, I walked out with adoption paper work for a little girl that would soon be known as Lexi. Nope, I didn’t want to foster.

Then came the pleas for fosters for two cute little brother Cockers that had been dumped on a farm in Ohio about two hours from my home. These boys were being kept out in the cold and snow. After a week of no one stepping up to foster or Cherished Cockers being able to place them in current foster homes. I figured….why not?? How hard could this be? I already had 5 dogs……I mean really in the grand scheme of things what is one more????

And it was really that simple. He fit right into our home. My only expense was 2 cups of dog food a day and a treat here and there. Really…just pennies a day. And for those pennies a day, I get to be the sole owner of a huge dose of warm fuzzies that I helped save a beautiful cocker and help him find a forever home.

Oh sure there was some touch and go panic. I had never dealt with a cherry eye; much less one that popped back and the need for the surgery to be redone. But, once we got the cone situation handled and he was transported back to me, it was smooth sailing. He simply became one of the family. We trained and worked on his manners. And he was always ready with a big ole sloppy kiss.

I only had Beethoven for a short time, but he will forever be in my heart. His adoption day came with mixed emotions. I was very happy that he was getting his forever home. But, I will not forget his sadness when he followed me to the door as I was leaving and his sad eyes begging me to take him with me. I just wanted to scoop him up and say sorry he is no longer available for adoption. But, the truth is….he has it so much better at his new home than I could give him. He is an only “child” there. And they wanted him. They fell in love with him after only meeting him for a few short minutes. And I did that……I fostered that little boy that was dumped out in the cold. I gave him a spot in my heart and in my home so that he would not know one more day of sadness, coldness or loneliness.

So, I say for anyone who thinks that fostering is hard work or expensive, it is not. It may take a day or so to get into a new routine with your new house guest. But, one more is really no more difficult than 1…3…5. And your generosity could save a beautiful cocker like Beethoven or Mozart.

I realize that we cannot save them all…..but we could save one more. :paw :hp :paw

Artemis-Non-Cocker (Shih Tzu) 12/21/2002
Maliika-Missed everyday - June 24,2002 - March 20, 2010

Post subject: Re: The Decision to Foster...Changing One Life at a Time
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:20 am 
Forum Legend

You said it beautifully. :hp I've been trying to get into fostering but i'm afraid I will become too attached :sad
My dad is afraid we will become too attached as-well, but I'm trying! We are working towards it....slowly.
Thank you for what you did for Beethoven and Mozart :love You saved 2 lives!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:25 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Em Mease wrote:

Brenda gets all the credit for Mozart. :love I am just so thankful that she and I volunteered at exactly the same time. I would have taken both....but boy that would have been an interesting situation. I think it was better for them to be separated in foster rather than at the time of adoption. Chances were slim to none that they would be adopted together. Brenda is probably happy I stepped forward at the same time also. :lol2

I was really afraid I would become too attached. And I think no matter what we will become too attached. There is no getting around that. But, the joy of seeing them with their new family far outweighs the heaviness on the heart. :hp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:17 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Your story brings warm fuzzies to me! Bless you and your compatriots who save our gorgeous cockers. :love

I'd love it if Mozart just "found" my doorstep - No, I DID NOT say that! :ROFL

:hp

Sadie, CGC, TDI, our darling li'l black girl who adopted us 9/5/09, honorary BD 6/9/08
Rusty, we'll love you forever, 9/22/95 - 4/2/09
Mopsie, you're always in our hearts, 1978 - 1994

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:21 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

MJ Watt wrote:
Your story brings warm fuzzies to me! Bless you and your compatriots who save our gorgeous cockers. :love

PM sent to Brenda ---Let Mozart find MJ's doorstep..... :ROFL:

He is so sweet. I was happy I got to meet him before he went to Brenda. He looks so nice now that he is with her. I think Brenda has done a wonderful job with him and his grooming. :hp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:31 pm 
Forum Legend

DonnaD wrote:
Em Mease wrote:

Brenda gets all the credit for Mozart. :love I am just so thankful that she and I volunteered at exactly the same time. I would have taken both....but boy that would have been an interesting situation. I think it was better for them to be separated in foster rather than at the time of adoption. Chances were slim to none that they would be adopted together. Brenda is probably happy I stepped forward at the same time also. :lol2

I was really afraid I would become too attached. And I think no matter what we will become too attached. There is no getting around that. But, the joy of seeing them with their new family far outweighs the heaviness on the heart. :hp

Brenda for sure gets credit!!! :bg You both are angels, by working together you guys saved two lives!! :happy Good luck to Beethoven in his new home :)
I know he is very thankful!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:13 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

DonnaD wrote:
MJ Watt wrote:

PM sent to Brenda ---Let Mozart find MJ's doorstep..... :ROFL:

He is so sweet. I was happy I got to meet him before he went to Brenda. He looks so nice now that he is with her. I think Brenda has done a wonderful job with him and his grooming. :hp

Yes, he looks absolutely adorable!

Sadie, CGC, TDI, our darling li'l black girl who adopted us 9/5/09, honorary BD 6/9/08
Rusty, we'll love you forever, 9/22/95 - 4/2/09
Mopsie, you're always in our hearts, 1978 - 1994

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:24 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Thank you Donna! You put into words exactly what is in my heart.
I had been thinking about becoming a foster mom for well over a year. I even had the foster application printed out but had never submitted it. The past few months, before winter, while walking with my neighbor, I was expressing to her how I was feeling like maybe I should just foster and not "own" another cocker, but to keep that "spot" open for fostering. At the same time I was preparing my husband for my new plans. Well, just like you, when no one else stepped up to foster these wonderful little guys, I was impressed that now is the time to stop thinking about it and just do it. I was very excited about the whole thing, and a little nervous. I, too, planned to foster both of the boys. I wasn't sure how I was going to handle two, but, I was confident it would work out, and, wonderfully, it did, when you also stepped up at the same time. I couldn't have handpicked a more perfect pupper for my very first foster! I love :love Moze just like my own. I know when the day comes for his new family to adopt him, a piece of my heart will go with him. It will be hard. I get very attached very quickly. I just keep reminding myself that by doing this "I am making a difference" even if it's just "one life at a time". :paw :hp :paw

Quigley....5-6-09...Blk/White parti

Cocker Spaniels.......a work of he'art'!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:35 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Brenda J C wrote:
Thank you Donna! You put into words exactly what is in my heart.
I had been thinking about becoming a foster mom for well over a year. I even had the foster application printed out but had never submitted it. The past few months, before winter, while walking with my neighbor, I was expressing to her how I was feeling like maybe I should just foster and not "own" another cocker, but to keep that "spot" open for fostering. At the same time I was preparing my husband for my new plans. Well, just like you, when no one else stepped up to foster these wonderful little guys, I was impressed that now is the time to stop thinking about it and just do it. I was very excited about the whole thing, and a little nervous. I, too, planned to foster both of the boys. I wasn't sure how I was going to handle two, but, I was confident it would work out, and, wonderfully, it did, when you also stepped up at the same time. I couldn't have handpicked a more perfect pupper for my very first foster! I love :love Moze just like my own. I know when the day comes for his new family to adopt him, a piece of my heart will go with him. It will be hard. I get very attached very quickly. I just keep reminding myself that by doing this "I am making a difference" even if it's just "one life at a time". :paw :hp :paw

:hp :paw :hp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:58 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

Donna,

You could not have said it better!! So many out there are afraid of the whole fostering thing, but you too were unsure, and look how it turned out. There are so many in need out there, and all of the rescues are in the same position right now, THEY NEED MORE people like you and Brenda!!! People that are willing to take a leap of faith, and give it a try. Thank You for posting this, I hope more will step forward and offer to give a cocker in need the chance at furever happiness!!!

Mom to Kramer, Missy & Sissy, my rescued 3
Missing my Beloved Benji, waiting at the bridge.
A victim of AIHA at only 2 yrs old.
"I live to rescue cockers"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:12 am 
Active Forum Member

I am considering fostering a sweet senior male who's been in a no-kill shelter a LONG time. However, I have three daughters, ages 3yr-13yrs, and an almost 4 month old puppy. We are currently struggling a LOT financially, (My husband lost his job due to an injury and keeps getting denied on disability, but can't find a job with his physical limitations.) So my income is the only one, and I make just under $20K a year. (yeah, you read that right). So, what I want is BARE HONESTY. Is it feasible or should I wait and see if our situation improves? I just hate to think of this poor guy in this shelter when they would let me foster him, but I worry about biting off more than my family can chew... :dk Any opinions are welcome. :) Thanks!

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself."
-Josh Billings
also quoted as "A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than YOU love YOURself." I like them both, because both are true!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:27 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

I wish I could tell you to go ahead and take that leap of faith. But, you are in a situation of having no extra to spend on the extra mouth that will be there. I would to one of two things.

1. Wait until your husband gets disability and then pursue working with a rescue. I know this fella has pulled at your heart. But, trust me, it is sad how many will still be there. Even though the rescue is responsible for all vetting. You will have to pay for food and will want to spoil him as much as possible.

2. See if the rescue can get him sponsored. Hey maybe someone on here will sponsor him. What that means is they will sponsor him thu the rescue and provide all of his incidentals like food, treats, etc. Some sponsors will even pay for the vetting until he is adopted.

I know your heart wants to help this fella. But, I would never ask anyone to take from their family. :hp

Last edited by DonnaD on Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:36 am 
Active Forum Member

Thanks Donna. I don't wanna just give up on him! I will check into seeing if anyone would be willing to sponsor. Also, I do know that it IS sad how many will still be needing fostering if/when we become more financially stable. :( Poor doggies...

-Josh Billings
also quoted as "A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than YOU love YOURself." I like them both, because both are true!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:31 am 
I Rescue Cockers

I hate to say this as rescue always needs good fosters but I would suggest you wait as well. As a foster you still must supply food and grooming, and many rescues vary on what they will pay for. Also in an emergency you may have to put the funds up front and be reimbursed. Transporting the dog is another added expense. I always end up supplying the collar and leash in addition to treats, bathing needs, food, transport to the vet and time off work, etc. so it does add up. Fostering is very rewarding and I fall in love with each dog I have. It is a wonderful feeling to know you helped save them and give them a new chance at life. You can do things that don't cost like walk them, take the kids to play with him, go brush him, and spend time with him. He will be appreciative as well as the shelter.

Hannah-black/white, 06/01/02
Tonka-black/tan, 04/24/13
Roxi-Boston terrier, 05/28/2007 (grand dog)

Tucker-blue roan and tan, 10/24/02-02/12/13 (rest in peace sweet boy)

"Cockers make my heart smile."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:34 am 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

I know what you mean about fostering,I fostered two Maltese and already had 2 Malts and a Cocker,well, these two were old and no teeth,so no one stepped up... when one person did,I cried but still encouraged them to adopt one. Her husband wasn't ready to adopt another sog after loosing theirs so soon. Well after that, I decided,they were mine...
I had already spent over $700 in dentals,vaccinations and getign them healthy,so they meant they were supposed to be part of the family. I fell in love almost instantly,Al took a while,resisted w/ all his might but those sweet faces got the best of him.

I'm fostering a rottie and a shepherd mix right now,they were my idiot step son's dogs, and I'm working w/ a rescue to find them homes...I wish I could keep them too,but too many dogs are hard to keep up with for me w/ physical limitations and these two eat more than my five dogs and one cat...put together....
Hubs keeps saying if we get our house sold,he wants to take them w/ us...we would have more room and be retired....
I've fostered a lot of dogs and a few cats..it's always hard to say good bye,but a little easier knowing they're going to a furever home where they're going to be the center of it all,not just one of the gang.

Hardest part about multi dog households...not enough arms to hug them all at once...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:38 am 
Active Forum Member

Thanks for all the help, guys. I knew I could count on you to be honest and keep the dogs AND my family's best interests in mind. :hp

-Josh Billings