Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Puppy Mill Cockers
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:35 am 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

I got a chance to go to my Lady's breeder. Boy, was I taken back by the difference between a Zim Cocker and these poor dogs.

There are 10 adults and 11 puppies. The mother of 4 of the puppies was in with 2 males to try to breed her, her puppies are 6 weeks! The adults are kept outdoors in a large run and a barn. The girls are bred at every heat, from their second heat on until 6 years old.

The puppies that were 6 weeks old were kept indoors, without their mother and in a crate with a wire mesh floor, just like in the pet store! The mother with day old puppies was in a crate that was set up so that she can not stand or move anything but her head. (I'm not sure how they feed her, water her, let her stretch her legs, do her business or whatever.)

It was like it was a "nice" puppy mill. And the woman admitted that she sells to mostly out of state and sometimes out of country!

I asked about my dogs nipple defect and she said that it's normal and nothing to worry about. Even showed me a dog who had many extra nipples, 4 on her rib cage, 4 milk producing and 4 non-producing, and that's on one side!

Her dogs are all AKC registered and I'm thinking that this isn't what the AKC intends when they register dogs.

Does anyone know of who or how to contact someone to have her investigated for inbreeding?

I tried to attach a photo of Lady's nipples, but it didn't work.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. ~Gilda Radner

Post subject: Re: Puppy Mill Cockers
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:25 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi Becky:

Here's some information that may get you started. This sounds like a horrible situation for the animals and I hope you decide to report her for animal cruelty. Keep us posted.

http://support.mspca.org/site/PageServe ... puppymills

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:20 pm 
Forum Legend

It is not possible to breed a female with 6 week old pups. Maybe mom was just getting a break for the pups for a bit. The other circumstances you mention sound terrible.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:43 am 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

debbiefive wrote:
It is not possible to breed a female with 6 week old pups. Maybe mom was just getting a break for the pups for a bit. The other circumstances you mention sound terrible.

Getting a break, yes, but she was in the pen with a male. And the breeder told me her plan was to breed her again, that she was currently in heat. I have only the words of the breeder to know what was happening.

I did check online and found out that she would need to be 20-24 weeks out. So it is possible that the breeder doesn't know this, or more likely leaves the mother in the pen with the father until her next heat.

What's the most sad is that those puppies are so young and without their mother, and having to stand/walk/play on those metal wide mess floors. And she even told me that it separates their feet, but that it was ok because they are only pets, not show dogs. :shock: :shock:

Thank you for the website. I had been to that page before. It has a number to report a pet store, not a breeder. And honestly, I'd like to have her AKC registration removed for being an unreputable breeder!

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. ~Gilda Radner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:05 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

It sounds like a totally awful situation. Unfortunately, she is considered a very small operation, and being such, these BYBs often are overlooked by authorities because of the time and the resources it takes to shut them down. If these dogs are registered AKC, can you imagine what the CKC and UKC breeding operations are like -- the ones AKC refuses to register?!

Edit to add that I am referring to CKC --Continental Kennel Club, UKC -- United Kennel Club

Quality, two-sided bandanas for your treasured companion.
Made in the
USA under the direct supervision of
Genuine American Cocker Spaniels!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:10 am 
I Rescue Cockers

While my knowledge about breeding is very limited, I will tell you that one of my current fosters arrived here still having a small amount of milk and in heat. How recently she had weaned puppies and whether or not she could have been successfully bred again, I don't know. I didn't even realize she was in heat - the vet asked me after spaying her if I'd realized she was in heat.

http://www.midsouthcockerrescue.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:45 pm 
Active Forum Member

i've heard that as soon as you remove the puppies from their mother, she becomes in heat again... :shock: the sooner the better for irresponsible back yard breeders... :bang this way, bitches can give birth to 3 litters of puppies per year, during 10 years... if they survive this long... :shock: heard from a few byb, incl. the breeder of my little rescued maltese :tg

Attachments:
Rosie 26-03-2010 26-07-2010 (C) resized forum.JPG
Rosie 26-03-2010 26-07-2010 (C) resized forum.JPG [ 80.93 KiB | Viewed 2981 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:35 pm 
Forum Legend

I do know cats can go back in heat within 8 or 10 weeks. A dog shouldn't, but I suppose nothings impossible. A dog in heat with a bit of milk could also be going through a false pregnancy. I have had 2 females do that. Both came to me as adults and not spayed. I had each spayed immediately after going out of heat.

Unfortunately Cindy is probably right..they don't care about the small operation, but hey I would still call somebody, a few somebodies, before I gave up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:13 pm 
Active Forum Member

Cindy wrote:
It sounds like a totally awful situation. Unfortunately, she is considered a very small operation, and being such, these BYBs often are overlooked by authorities because of the time and the resources it takes to shut them down. If these dogs are registered AKC, can you imagine what the CKC and UKC breeding operations are like -- the ones AKC refuses to register?!

Edit to add that I am referring to CKC --Continental Kennel Club, UKC -- United Kennel Club

Don't confuse united kennel club with universal kennel club. The united kennel club is a very legit registry and cares about their dogs. Most of the time that you see UKC on an ad it is the Universal Kennel Club which is just as bad as the Continental Kennel Club.