Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: BIG Question......
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:08 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

I received the following cross-posting from another rescue group. I'm wondering if anyone else has heard of this horror? :?: Evidently, Susan Sternberg is not what she claims to be! Please read on -- I would like to hear the opinions of others, and if this is true, then Susan needs to be exposed/stopped. :!:

CROSS POSTING Do not send or transport dogs to Sue Sternberg (Rondout Valley
Kennels) in Accord, NY.

Woman that admittedly "HATES" dogs offering to "rescue" them just to kill
them!!! by Keith Wandell on Sunday, October 17, 2010 at 7:51pm

We are trying to stop an evil woman, named Susan Sternberg who owns a supposed
shelter/rescue/training facility in Accord, NY. This woman is killing innocent dogs
who are in her shelter/training facility. She is pulling dogs from statewide shelters with the promise of homes and safety, when her true motive is to kill them. These innocent dogs travel in hot long transporters and upon arrival, she supposedly gives them some testing when they are exhausted and then claims they are not adoptable, and methodiaclly kills them, and seemingly deriving pleasure in her choice. This story is so shocking and horrifying, because not only has she been untouchable legally, she has also been able to brainwash many ofher followers into believing that shelters dogs need to die. She travels, giving seminars convincing people to kill dogs to thin out the shelter population and plays God, when all along claiming to be a rescue. The overcrowded shelters in various states think they are giving away their wonderful shelter dogs to an animal savior, when in reality they are being driven sometimes thousands of miles just to die. She supposedly transports many, many dogs, and adopts very few out, and her shelter has only 5 or less dogs at a time. She also supports the inhumane method of gas chambers to euthanize and I shudder at the thought of how she is "training testing" and killing the dogs herself. This woman not only needs to be stopped permanently from ever having a dog in her facility/home, she needs to be prosecuted for animal abuse! She also has brainwashed the local into thinking if they need to rehome their dog, she will and can do that for them, when again she is just killing them. We all know shelters euthanize on a daily basis, due to lack of space, etc. however this situation is a far cry from such. This woman systematically plans, lies, conives and manipulates to obtain sweet, adoptable dogs for the sheer obsession to kill them. She quite simply is Hitler of dogs, and it is time she is exposed for the true person she is! If anyone can and would like to help in this mission to expose this woman, please email asap! Please read attachment and letter below w/website also regarding this woman!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php? ... 115&v=wall

http://www.theanimalrescue.com/shelter_dogs.html

http://www.animalarkshelter.org/animal/ ... enDocument

Here's one more warning out there: http://www.care2.com/c2c/share/detail/398962

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBQfvZ762z4

Statement from a former employe fired for voicing her opinion about the
kennel's policy of killing 99% of the dogs that came there even, intentionally
making dogs aggressive so that she could kill them at conventions as
"demonstration dogs":
http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/c_adams/

American Cocker Spaniel Rescue- www.acsrwa.org
There are only two kinds of dogs: 1) Cocker Spaniels, and 2) Those that wish they were!

Post subject: Re: BIG Question......
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:35 pm 
Forum Legend

This is really disturbing, but as a cautionary measure - I think we have to be careful on a public forum to not point fingers at the person mentioned. We don't know who some of the people are who are "cross posting" and whether they have any motives besides the safety of the dogs.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:47 pm 
Forum Moderator
 WWW  Profile

I'm not sure if this is the same Sue Sternberg that has done all kinds of temperament testing and written books, but if so, this is a pretty major accusation. I have no idea how to verify if this is true or not, but I agree that we should generally avoid naming names until things are verified.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:06 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

KLADCkrs wrote:
I'm not sure if this is the same Sue Sternberg that has done all kinds of temperament testing and written books, but if so, this is a pretty major accusation. I have no idea how to verify if this is true or not, but I agree that we should generally avoid naming names until things are verified.

I totally agree with Kelly.

I personally attended a weekend seminar with Sue Sternberg about six years ago. I certainly didn't come away with the impression that is being portrayed in this disturbing post. As we have seen in the past, not all things are as they appear, and not all accusations are based on truth and fact. Granted, people do change, we have seen this with some show breeders in the past couple of years.

I think that this post should be pulled until these accusations can verified. I hope with all my heart that this isn't true, and if it isn't, I would hate to see a person's name and reputation dragged through the mud.

Quality, two-sided bandanas for your treasured companion.
Made in the
USA under the direct supervision of
Genuine American Cocker Spaniels!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:27 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

KLADCkrs wrote:

Oh, I totally agree, and I guess that's mostly why I was asking -- for verification. It is indeed, the same Sue Sternberg who developed temperament testing modules that are used all over the U.S. and abroad, and has written books, articles, etc......which is what makes this even more disturbing. If this were brought on by a disgruntled employee, or someone she has "crossed" somewhere along the way, then I would never aid in tarnishing her name (really....no one needs that!). But, so far, I have heard from two other people that know her, and it seems that this is just the tip of the ice berg. I can't repeat what they said, because this is a family forum!!! I would like to think that the accusations are not true, or that they are blown out of porportion, but it's beginning to appear that that isn't the case. I'm certainly not trying to stir the pot, or cause trouble for anyone. But, would HBO air a documentary, if it weren't truth (very possibly, I don't know -- I've been called "gullible" before!). And, the accusations come from several sources -- not just one employee that could have been disgruntled (although, she denies it). Not that I'm a breed snob, or anything, but the first dog to be killed (without cause) in one of the source's statements was a cocker spaniel! (that was my very lame way of trying to lighten up this post a little bit......) My bottom line: If these allegations are NOT true, then my sincerest apologies for cross-posting something that could hurt anyone's reputation. But, if they ARE true, then people need to be aware of the situation.

There are only two kinds of dogs: 1) Cocker Spaniels, and 2) Those that wish they were!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:31 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

Cindy wrote:
KLADCkrs wrote:

I totally agree with Kelly.

I personally attended a weekend seminar with Sue Sternberg about six years ago. I certainly didn't come away with the impression that is being portrayed in this disturbing post. As we have seen in the past, not all things are as they appear, and not all accusations are based on truth and fact. Granted, people do change, we have seen this with some show breeders in the past couple of years.

I think that this post should be pulled until these accusations can verified. I hope with all my heart that this isn't true, and if it isn't, I would hate to see a person's name and reputation dragged through the mud.

It was stated by the "accusers" (for lack of a better word) that this is a situation that has become worse over the years -- that several years ago, SS was not like this. They also commended SS for the good that she has done. Please pull the post -- I'm sorry I even brought it up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:40 pm 
Active Forum Member

After reading the post I must say it has the ring of truth to it. Whether she has become overly cautious and fearful due to numerous law suits or she is suffering from an illness something must be done. I have seen first hand the personality changes a person can go through when they are suffering from illness. I do think all rescue/shelter groups should be aware of this accusation so that they can ask questions. Simple evidence/proof would be the percentage/number of euthanized animals per total intake. We cannot make the excuse that she is well known or they are disgruntled employees without verification, this is too serious. The fact that they themselves mention that there was a change in her behaviour indicates that something is going on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:08 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

Elke wrote:
After reading the post I must say it has the ring of truth to it. Whether she has become overly cautious and fearful due to numerous law suits or she is suffering from an illness something must be done. I have seen first hand the personality changes a person can go through when they are suffering from illness. I do think all rescue/shelter groups should be aware of this accusation so that they can ask questions. Simple evidence/proof would be the percentage/number of euthanized animals per total intake. We cannot make the excuse that she is well known or they are disgruntled employees without verification, this is too serious. The fact that they themselves mention that there was a change in her behaviour indicates that something is going on.

THANK YOU!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:43 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

This is a tough one. I'll admit that I did not see the documentary, nor do I know if it was edited to favor or inflame, or was a fair representation of the facts. (With my eyes, I could only skim through the links provided.)

I can only share my positive personal opinion from attending one seminar several years ago. People and situations can and do change.

On one hand we don't want to look the other way if in fact there is a serious problem going on, but we also don't want to publicly name someone and risk tarnishing their reputation by making or passing on accusations that may not be true that fails to name the person making the accusations.

When the two show breeder horrors came to light in the past two years, we asked how it could happen and why no one knew or did anything about it. I do think that questions and first hand observations should be presented to the proper authorities with a request for an investigation to take place (the NY states' Attorney General would probably be a good starting point). Those who feel strongly enough to "warn" others through "pass it along" E-mails, should have the power of their conviction to include their own names as the source of the accusations, and to be willing to share their first hand knowledge with those who have the power to investigate.

Editing to add that I did not see a name attached in my first reading, but there is a name attached to the E-mail: Woman that admittedly "HATES" dogs offering to "rescue" them just to kill

I don't know who Keith Wandell is, but if he has first hand knowledge he should follow up with those who can investigate and do something to stop this situation if the accusations prove to be true.

Quality, two-sided bandanas for your treasured companion.
Made in the
USA under the direct supervision of
Genuine American Cocker Spaniels!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:47 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

Cindy wrote:

This is a tough one. I'll admit that I did not see the documentary, nor do I know if it was edited to favor or inflame, or was a fair representation of the facts. (With my eyes, I could only skim through the links provided.)

I can only share my positive personal opinion from attending one seminar several years ago. People and situations can and do change.

On one hand we don't want to look the other way if in fact there is a serious problem going on, but we also don't want to publicly name someone and risk tarnishing their reputation by making or passing on accusations that may not be true that fails to name the person making the accusations.

When the two show breeder horrors came to light in the past two years, we asked how it could happen and why no one knew or did anything about it. I do think that questions and first hand observations should be presented to the proper authorities with a request for an investigation to take place (the NY states' Attorney General would probably be a good starting point). Those who feel strongly enough to "warn" others through "pass it along" E-mails, should have the power of their conviction to include their own names as the source of the accusations, and to be willing to share their first hand knowledge with those who have the power to investigate.

Editing to add that I did not see a name attached in my first reading, but there is a name attached to the E-mail: Woman that admittedly "HATES" dogs offering to "rescue" them just to kill

I don't know who Keith Wandell is, but if he has first hand knowledge he should follow up with those who can investigate and do something to stop this situation if the accusations prove to be true.

Yah....what Cindy said. :wk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:18 pm 
Forum Member

People Love to trash talk people they don't know.

I went up to Roundout Valley Animal Shelter this summer. I learned a lot from Sue. She does say, "I hate dogs." But it's a total joke with her and always with a laugh and the same tone I voice I use when my puppy eats a pair of shoes which I know I left on the floor. "I hate you puppy, even though it was me who left the shoes on the floor." Have none of you ever snapped a leash on your dog and headed out into the sleet saying, "Why am I walking you guys? I'm not even sure I LIKE dogs!" Do you love them? Of course, IT's A JOKE.

This women lives dogs, 24 hours a day. She worked with our group, encouraged us to be involved in shelter work, and did her best to give us strategies to make shelter dogs more adoptable. I worked with one of her shelter dogs, and it was adopted before my 5 days at Roundout Valley were finished. Sue was delighted to see this dog get a good home. I am still in touch with the adopters and they are still in touch with Sue.

The person who passed along this post obviously does not know Sue or her shelter. Nor have they read any of her work. I know this forum caters to people who feel creatures with 'pure genes' are superior to the mixed breeds I adopt from shelters, but before you trash someone doing amazing work, why not read one of her books? Successful Dog Adoptions is available on Amazon. It is a very interesting book, even for people who buy their dogs from breeders.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:55 pm 
Forum Legend

MuttMom wrote:
The person who passed along this post obviously does not know Sue or her shelter. Nor have they read any of her work. I know this forum caters to people who feel creatures with 'pure genes' are superior to the mixed breeds I adopt from shelters, but before you trash someone doing amazing work, why not read one of her books? Successful Dog Adoptions is available on Amazon. It is a very interesting book, even for people who buy their dogs from breeders.

Claudia:

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your post. I'm one of the moderators and just wanted to say it's nice to hear that you have met the person in question and have a good opinion of her. That's why I cautioned the members after the first post - we only have one side of the story at this point.

This was originally posted as information and a request for verification - not slamming Sue or her work. It's just that it's very disturbing to read and those of us who love animals like to be informed about all aspects of animal ownership and rescue. If it IS true, it would be a shame, but we've seen some pretty bad things from people who have held themselves out to be "good" breeders.

Just to clarify, this forum does NOT cater to "people who feel creatures with 'pure genes' are superior to the mixed breeds." This forum caters to people who love cocker spaniels - and they come from backyards, puppymills, hobby breeders, rescues and yes, really good breeders. A lot of us have animals other than cocker spaniels, and many of them are mixed breeds. My second dog is a schnauzer/terrier mix and I love him the same as my cocker. It's just that this is a COCKER forum and that's what we talk about. IF you have one, we'd love to see some pictures!

Thanks for joining us!

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:02 pm 
Forum Legend

I rescued my Labrador, and he is thought to be a Mix Breed (he does NOT look pure bred) and I love him equal to Rudy. We don't even know
what he is, and he is from a Puppy FARM. He lived in a Farm full of dogs. (Much like a Puppy Mill) but like Tina said : this is a *cocker* forum,
so therefore I don't sit and talk about him for a long time, but when I'm out and talking about dogs, he is in the conversation just as much or
more than, Rudy in some cases. And Rudy is pure bred. Henry is having health problems right now, and we've been devoting a lot of money & time to him right now, He has a horrible Ear Infection and has Seizures, and is having a hard time right now. He is getting older, and it hurts me to see him like that.

I do not know Sue, and this may be off topic, but I just had to add it. :dk

Here is Henry. I know of many forum members who have Mixed Breeds.

Attachments:
(9) Henry .jpg
(9) Henry .jpg [ 174.65 KiB | Viewed 4299 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:27 pm 
Active Forum Member

Henry is a doll! He has such kind eyes!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:04 am 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

Em Mease wrote:
I rescued my Labrador, and he is thought to be a Mix Breed (he does NOT look pure bred) and I love him equal to Rudy. We don't even know
what he is, and he is from a Puppy FARM. He lived in a Farm full of dogs. (Much like a Puppy Mill) but like Tina said : this is a *cocker* forum,
so therefore I don't sit and talk about him for a long time, but when I'm out and talking about dogs, he is in the conversation just as much or
more than, Rudy in some cases. And Rudy is pure bred. Henry is having health problems right now, and we've been devoting a lot of money & time to him right now, He has a horrible Ear Infection and has Seizures, and is having a hard time right now. He is getting older, and it hurts me to see him like that.

I do not know Sue, and this may be off topic, but I just had to add it. :dk

Here is Henry. I know of many forum members who have Mixed Breeds.

Em -- I hope Henry is doing better!