PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:48 am 
Active Forum Member

Does anyone have any advise on how to start a cocker rescue? I am in Western PA

Post subject: Re: starting a cocker rescue
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:48 am 
I Rescue Cockers
 WWW  Profile

Hi Deborah -

Welcome to the world of Rescue! Have you volunteered with any rescue groups before? What is driving you to start a group? Those questions/answers will help me to guide you in a strong direction!

:Parti Indie Kodak's Canyonview Little Miss Independant, CGC, ThD (in training)
:Parti Bennett Kodak's Canyonview The Best Is Yet To Come, CGC, ThD (in training)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:58 pm 
Active Forum Member

I have been fundraising through my business for 2 cocker rescues...OBG in DC and CSAC in Baltimore. shortest version..helped a friend by donating for Hello Bully event in Pittsburgh and for the heck of it googled cocker rescue figuring there would not be many as cockers do not seem to be anywhere near as popular as they used to be. Instead I not only found so many rescues, but pages of cocker puppies for sale that are surely in/from puppie mills. I started about 4 months ago fund raising and have taken turns sending money one month to obg and the next to csac. I have been able to do a home check for obg and am about to foster a 10 yo female.(I have 3 of my own already...the last one a rescue through CSAC) It still seems like it is not enough AND I am trying to find out about cage-free rescues as well...even a healthy dog looks sad in a cage. We have no cocker rescue in Pittsburgh.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:43 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

:th-up to you

I love to rescue cockers, too. I have some ideas for you as I live in a large area without a cocker rescue, too. I also volunteer with CSAC. I will send you a PM in the next day or so.

Ginny

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:54 pm 
Active Forum Member

Ginny...thnx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:34 pm 
Forum Legend

Hey Deborah! I just wanted to say Hi and welcome to the forum. I am originally from Hopewell Township in Aliquippa! Glad to have you join us. We've been in Memphis for about 24 years, but still get home to the 'burgh now and then to visit relatives.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:12 pm 
Active Forum Member

Did or do you know Cindy Burniek that has Hopewell Cockers then? I got my one parti from her. It's a small world sometimes. And thanks for the welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:44 pm 
Forum Legend

I never met Cindy, but I have talked to her on the phone (or maybe it was on line). It was several years ago and I wanted to stop by and see her dogs when we got back up there but it didn't work out for her. Is she still breeding. We used to have another forum member who had one of her dogs, too, though I can't seem to recall her name.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:29 pm 
Active Forum Member

Cindy is no longer breeding and in fact quit showing...which is a shame, she has a dog on his way to Grand Ch. that was/is a dream. His name is Shooter and he is a spectacular parti with the most beautiful markings and moves like a cloud. She has slowly found homes for all but 7 of her dogs...(I have one ..his name is Dakota..he was/is a ch. and a beautiful parti that is a sweet baby. I do not like to put words in anyone's mouth but I think Cindy is one of many small, but awesome breeders who found it more and more difficult to sell and find good homes for her puppies. The showing I think she just got tired of and it becomes expensive...again I hate to put words in anyone's mouth. She has become a good friend, I met her when my buff cocker's breeder was in an accident and unable to groom him. I tried several generic places and he looked like everything but a cocker and googled cocker breeders and found her..she is an exceptional woman and I am glad to call her friend. AND,,,I love her dogs.