An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: grooming advice
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:13 am 
Active Forum Member

Do you think I would get tossed out on my ear (or hung up on) if I paid a groomer for a full grooming session but then instead of having them groom my dog, I asked for a lesson. Mainly I need brushing and nail trimming lessons/advice on my english cocker. Dont' get me wrong,I know how to brush a dog. But, he has funny hair. There isn't enough to use a slicker brush or a flea comb (i've tried but nothing comes off the dog) but too thick to use a regualr dog brush. He sheds terribly and I dont' wnat to use a furminator because i read they aren't good for doggies, let alone puppies. Rocky is 7 months old. I can bathe him just fine, but brushing and doing nails is hard for me. I had the tech at the vet do his nails the day before yesterday and he did great but the trimmers must have been dull because the edges of his nails look all jagged and rough, where as some of his nails have a clean clip.

Post subject: Re: grooming advice
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:40 am 
Forum Legend

Probably a big no from most

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:49 am 
Active Forum Member

I would say most groomers would certainly not take kindly to being ambushed like that.

Why don't you ask your vet for some instructions on nail clipping the next time you go?

As for the hair grooming, there is tons of information on this website, as well as on the internet. Have you considered purchasing Jim's DVD?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:52 am 
Active Forum Member

As for getting out the undercoat to reduce shedding, I recommend the Mars Coat King, #20. You can't go wrong with that, and also a Classic stripper, Fine will help a lot.

I also have a Furminator, but I don't like it, it seems too sharp on the skin and doesn't take out the hair like the other two tools.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:52 pm 
Forum Legend

I admit I'm a chicken about doing Zoey's nails....I usually pay to get them done....I have had them filed and noticed in a day or two they were rough and jagged.....from blacktop maybe? So I only have them clipped not filed.

Riley and Grayson my "skin kids"
Princess Bambi the bunny
Sam and Carly the hermit crabs

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:56 pm 
Active Forum Member

great suggestions. thanks everyone.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:57 pm 
ACtually I think most groomers are more than happy to show you how to properly brush your dog. Since every dog is different, different tools are needed for different coats.

From what you're describing, you may want to get a rubber curry for his back (I assume the area he sheds the most). The slicker brush should be good for his furnishings, but a flea comb is just that. It's not made for grooming at all. What you want in a comb is a metal comb with coarse and medium teeth.http://www.petedge.com/product/Grooming ... /46284.uts Here is the rubber curry, the purple one http://www.petedge.com/product/Grooming ... /53753.uts

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:24 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

I would be perfectly happy to show an owner how to thoroughly brush out their dog and clip their nails - it would make my job a lot easier when it came to clipping and trimming. And most owners will not be paying out for professional clippers and blades (not round here anyway I don't think!) so would probably come back to me even if they did give the clipping a try. I was amazed when I started my grooming course and bought all the professional scissors and clippers how much better George looked when I trimmed him, with no more skill and experience than before, just better equipment.

Spaniels are the best dogs!!