The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Leg Video
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:03 am 
OK here they are. There are two, one is very short to show one more technique to smoothing the legs. . One thing I didn't mention, because I said it in the first attempt (and then decided I wanted Kyra shorter) is that you should use your clipper on the highest speed you have when doing this. It gives a better finish overall. No need to worry about heat as the clipper combs don't heat up. Also, I've said it before but it always bears repeating. Get the best dryer you can, and always dry the dog for the best finish. http://youtu.be/jZ_GBPPbrxU
http://youtu.be/a4EYLITdc-k

Here is the finished product. Poor Kyra hates to be groomed, so if you notice her shaking and panting in the video that's why. I promise I don't beat her.

Attachments:
IMG_5411.JPG
IMG_5411.JPG [ 63.42 KiB | Viewed 11836 times ]

Post subject: Re: Leg Video
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:43 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Thanks for the great tips! Can you do a video on the back legs and paws? Again I love the help.

Kudah-French Brittany rescued 06-2008
Blu - Buff Merle born 05-13-2010/Home on 08-28-2014

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:49 pm 
Active Forum Member

These are all so informative Julie. Thank you! I groomed Mulligan yesterday. His top knot came out much better. I think I'll have to get some of the Wahl clippers and better scissors.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:07 pm 
Forum Legend

Julie, those videos are so awesome. I'm very visual so seeing how you do it is very helpful. :TYou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:22 pm 
Forum Legend

Vicky & Charlie wrote:
Julie, those videos are so awesome. I'm very visual so seeing how you do it is very helpful. :TYou

Me Too!!!! Visual works for me.... :th-up

But, Julie I have a couple of questions. I am guessing that the 3 3/4 FC blade, that I just purchased, will do the same as the comb #1 guard?

I noticed that you used a different trimmer when you used the stainless steel guard/comb. What was it and what blade do you use on that trimmer? (I only have an Andis Ultra Edge Special Edition and a small battery powered trimmer for the dogs face.) I have been using guards, but have never known what blade to use. I only have a #10, a 5FC and now the 3 3/4FC, so I have been using the #10.

Thanks for all of your help. We know that you are the professional and (personally) I will never expect my pups to look as good as your's. :roll

Your pups are all such little cuties! Love their loving looks at you, even though you are grooming them. :love Wish I would get such wonderful looks at grooming time! :evil :gig

Dawn :paw

Funny, I pulled out the Andis to get the exact model and Chloie ran out of the room. :gig Now that I put the Andis away, she is back and now grumbling at the neighbors house! :raz

JOINED ZIM FORUM 5/15/08~4:15pm
Chloie Pearl~Babybutt~Tri~2/16/08
Muraco Misun~Red/Wht~4/13/11
Moonbeam~Ms.Moonlight~Buff~7/24/00~8/14/11
Persalina~Big Bright Eyes~Buff~10/92~5/12/08
Willamina~1981/1996

JUSTICE FOR OREO: http://www.justice4oreo.net/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:53 pm 
Dawn I use a 30 blade under the combs. They have the same combs for the Bravura too (the other clipper you see me using) I just haven't broken mine out yet. I don't use my Bravura for much in my shop, mostly just on my own dogs. Since the blades are harder to sharpen, I try and use it only on faces. I'm using it on feet right now, only because my mini arco is 'in the shop'.

As for the 3 3/4 giving you the same look as the one comb? Almost. It will be a little bit shorter. About three weeks worth of growth. Much less scissoring work with the blade though.

Quote:
Can you do a video on the back legs and paws?

I can, but it's essentially the same. Instead of picking up the back leg though, you would just do it with the dog standing like I show at the end of the front leg.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:00 pm 
Forum Legend

I thank you and Abby "thinks" she thanks you. Abby knows she doesn't want a leg like she ended up the time I tried to trim them. I take my girls to a groomer when it is leg time....but I won't next time :gig

ETA: Poor little Kyra...she reminds me of my Ava with all of that shaking.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:49 am 
debbiefive wrote:

ETA: Poor little Kyra...she reminds me of my Ava with all of that shaking.

Kyra simply hates anything associated with showing and that includes grooming. She was dragged around as a puppy to something like 35 shows in the three months between the ages of 6 months to 9 months with a woman who I think is not very nice to her dogs. In fact, she thought she would whiten Kyra by pouring straight laundry bluing on her. Which left her blue for months. This was before I owned her of course.

Kyra just shuts down whenever she's in any situation where she thinks she might be shown. Even when I tried to take her to an outdoor obedience class. I promised her she could just be our house dog and never have to do anything associated with showing again, but she still has to be groomed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:36 am 
Forum Legend

Julie, your videos and pointers are so helpful! I wish you could have your own folder here on the forum so we could have one "go-to" place just for your stuff! I refer back to your posts so often- thank you so much, :nw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:49 am 
Forum Legend

Poor Kyra. I'm so happy you got her away from the nutburger. She has reason to fear grooming.

Now why is my Ava scared to death of the new storm door? :dk Ava is such a timid little thing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:42 am 
Forum Legend

Julie Hydro wrote:
Dawn I use a 30 blade under the combs. They have the same combs for the Bravura too (the other clipper you see me using) I just haven't broken mine out yet. I don't use my Bravura for much in my shop, mostly just on my own dogs. Since the blades are harder to sharpen, I try and use it only on faces. I'm using it on feet right now, only because my mini arco is 'in the shop'.

As for the 3 3/4 giving you the same look as the one comb? Almost. It will be a little bit shorter. About three weeks worth of growth. Much less scissoring work with the blade though.

:thanks Julie,

I just ordered the #30 blade! :th-up Today is the day that my American Express card flips to another month. So, I am spending right now.... :YAY :neen

JOINED ZIM FORUM 5/15/08~4:15pm
Chloie Pearl~Babybutt~Tri~2/16/08
Muraco Misun~Red/Wht~4/13/11
Moonbeam~Ms.Moonlight~Buff~7/24/00~8/14/11
Persalina~Big Bright Eyes~Buff~10/92~5/12/08
Willamina~1981/1996

JUSTICE FOR OREO: http://www.justice4oreo.net/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:43 pm 
Active Forum Member

Julie, with all these videos you are posting, soon I will be able to give Indy his best haircut yet! Thank you! :hp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:02 pm 
Forum Legend

Thank you, Julie! I love Emma's hair long - I just don't like the constant work it takes to keep her like that, so we are heading in this direction even though it makes me nervous to take off an almost full coat. I might wimp out, I don't know.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:24 pm 
Forum Legend

Julie, have you ever used the chrome magnetic combs by Andis? What combs would you suggest for Andis AG Clipper (2 speed maroon clipper)?

chrome set
http://www.kingwholesale.com/Shopping/P ... Item=25949 ETA the chrome set might not even work with the clipper :dk

or maybe these? (not chrome) I think these are the ones a friend has...I like them. Any thoughts
http://www.kingwholesale.com/Shopping/P ... ?Item=9843

hope those links work.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:22 am 
debbiefive wrote:
Julie, have you ever used the chrome magnetic combs by Andis? What combs would you suggest for Andis AG Clipper (2 speed maroon clipper)?

chrome set
http://www.kingwholesale.com/Shopping/P ... Item=25949 ETA the chrome set might not even work with the clipper :dk

or maybe these? (not chrome) I think these are the ones a friend has...I like them. Any thoughts
http://www.kingwholesale.com/Shopping/P ... ?Item=9843

hope those links work.

I have not used the chrome onesDebbie, but interestingly I was just reading reviews about them on a grooming board yesterday. Every single person who had them said the teeth broke within a few uses.

These are the ones I just got and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them! http://www.kingwholesale.com/Shopping/P ... Item=22700

Here they are in the set. http://www.petedge.com/product/Grooming ... /46343.uts

I also have the Laube plastic ones, and as far as the plastic ones go, those are the best I've used. They've lasted me forever with heavy use. The Wahl's are just smoother feeling and cutting. I've used the Oster before and the are really flimsy compared to the Laubes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:40 am 
Forum Legend

thanks Julie...I sent you a PM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:13 pm 
Forum Legend

Darra wrote:
Julie, your videos and pointers are so helpful! I wish you could have your own folder here on the forum so we could have one "go-to" place just for your stuff! I refer back to your posts so often- thank you so much, :nw

Dear Tina, Peggy and Kelly: Can we please have Julie's grooming video posts 'stickied'? I have the grooming DVD but having these short videos are helpful when we need specific references.

Dear Julie,
Could you please do a video of grooming the belly? (My husband calls it "dogscaping" :tg )I would appreciate seeing your techniques for transitioning from the skirt to the underside and from the chest down to the belly. I also find it helpful on your videos to see how you position the dogs when you are grooming. The undersides are tough to get to! My husband taught Mia to lay on her back while he trimmed her but not all the fosters are willing to do that.

Thanks! :hi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:15 pm 
Forum Legend

I ordered clipper combs (Laube) and a 30 blade earlier today. My poor poor girls!!! :gig

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:16 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Thank you so much for the tips and all the videos. You are an angel

Kudah-French Brittany rescued 06-2008
Blu - Buff Merle born 05-13-2010/Home on 08-28-2014

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:48 pm 
Active Forum Member

Julie, how do you do the legs when you aren't using clippers? I know one should scissor the 'excess' fur, but how much? I don't recall Jim's video showing how to do legs, or at least not in the way I mean. Indy's fur has grown since I gave him his original short haircut, probably 1/4 or 1/2 an inch, and I don't really want to lose that length, however I only have up to a #10. Any ideas? Thank you!
Also Moderaters (and Julie) I second Naomi. :happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:28 am 
Just use the finishing technique on the leg. Comb, scissor, comb, scissor. If you're liking the longer look though, I'd highly suggest you invest in a blade longer than a ten.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:42 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Julie I have like most the Andis clippers and just wanted to make sure I can order and use the Wahl combs with my clippers. I have the Andis AGP 2 speed and also the AGC single speed with both the 30 and 40 blades. Which one's do you suggest for these clippers? The Wahl or Andis combs? I have noticed that a couple of my blade's 30 and a 10 are a little small and the andis 3 3/4 comb I have wont stay on it.

TUCKER Black Cocker 10-15-99 to 01-06-2010 We Miss you big boy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:50 am 
Dawn in KW wrote:
Julie I have like most the Andis clippers and just wanted to make sure I can order and use the Wahl combs with my clippers. I have the Andis AGP 2 speed and also the AGC single speed with both the 30 and 40 blades. Which one's do you suggest for these clippers? The Wahl or Andis combs? I have noticed that a couple of my blade's 30 and a 10 are a little small and the andis 3 3/4 comb I have wont stay on it.

I would definitely go with the Wahl. They not only attach by spring, but they hug the outer edge of the blade too. I think that's why they work better, the hair doesn't bind up at all. Only use them over the 30 though,I suspect they will break the teeth of the 40.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:08 am 
Forum Legend

I changed my comb order to the stainless wahl! I can't wait to get them

I am wondering about the back leg though...like how high up do you do the comb? This may sign silly but is it all the way up thigh or not so high up? From the pic I am guessing all the way?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:50 pm 
All the way up, from where your pattern on the back ends. When I do a no skirt, no chest, like I did on Kyra, I take the front legs down all the way to the elbow, and I take the hip down slightly farther than I normally would on a cocker pattern. the with the comb or longer blade everything else comes off the legs.