An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: So new to this - blade question for field coat
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:25 pm 
Active Forum Member

I got Andis clippers for Christmas, along with the Zim grooming video. I asked for the bottom of the line Andis because I wasn't at all sure that I would like this grooming stuff and didn't want anyone to spend a lot of money if I was terrible at it. Things are going well but I am at a loss with my dog who has a very straight field coat. I did his face, ears, chin, head and back. On the Zim video it says to use a 5 5/8 blade for the legs and sides. My question is, do I use that type of blade on a dog with a field coat? I do want something resembling a cocker cut but I prefer it to be relatively short on the legs and sides. It is very long right now. I have a 4, 7, and 10 blade. Do I need some other type of blade for his legs and sides? His hair is stick straight and somewhat whispy. I can't image using shears because I can already picture the clumps and uneveniness I would create. I have had great success with the clippers on all the other parts of his body. Also, do all Andis blades fit all Andis clippers?

Post subject: Re: So new to this - blade question for field coat
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:45 am 
Forum Legend

Janet: I am pretty sure all Andis blades fit Andis clippers. Why don't you just scissor his legs? If the hair is thin and wispy - just long - I would just trim it with scissors. If it's like most field coated cockers, the hair is mostly on the back of the leg and the front is relatively smooth, so it wouldn't be hard to scissor. Just cut in an up and down motion from the top down. I'm sure there IS a blade you can buy (like a 3-3/4 or something that would give you a short cut) but you can probably save yourself some money unless you plan to keep the other dogs in a short coat, too.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:05 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

I'm wondering about grooming a field coat also. Haven't I heard something about not shaving the back? Penny's fur is wispy and thin on her legs, but beautifully shiny, straight and red on her back. I'd like to retain those qualities! And what about ears?

Forever in our hearts: Isabel, Joey and Bear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:09 am 
As far as all Andis blades fitting all Andis clippers the answer is no. It depends on how 'bottom of the line' you went. If you bought a pet clipper 'kit' it's likely you are stuck with one blade. If you bought the one speed AG then it likely came with a ten blade and yes, you will be able to switch it out.

I'm not familiar with the new DVD but does it show a show dog grooming? If so then you would groom a field coated dog the same way. Shaving the ears, face, sides and front of neck and blending the longer back coat to the shaved parts. I wouldn't use a blade on a field coated dogs back or furnishings. I would scissor to your desired length following the outline of the dog. Basically just hold your scissors parallel to the area you are cutting and take off your desired length. So when you trim the belly hair the scissors would be parallel to the ground, if you're cutting the hock hair, straight up and down. Hopefully this is clear to you I have problems writing directions.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:23 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Thank you, Julie! So you wouldn't need to use anything on the back?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:49 am 
Active Forum Member

I did get a kit. It came with a 4, 7, 10 blade. It is one speed and blue. Would that indicate that other blades will not fit it?

Also, my mom reminded me of a foster dog I had that truly did have a thin, whispy field coat and how different that is from my dog, and so I need to make a correction. His fur on his legs and sides is very long. And although the individual hairs look to be whispy, he has a lot of them. There is a lot of fur on his sides and legs. It is stick straight and seems like fly away hair, but there is a lot of it. What do you recommend for grooming?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:22 pm 
Forum Legend

Janet, I would post a pic of your baby....that would help IMO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:40 pm 
Jean in Mpls wrote:
Thank you, Julie! So you wouldn't need to use anything on the back?

Penny looks super field coated. Some dogs, like Michelle Olsens Hailey, start out field coated but after being spayed get quite a full coat. But as you can see in the below picture, Hailey, although field coated at that time, still had quite a bit more hair than Penny. That may or may not happen to Penny. If she gets a fuller coat you may need to use a coat king and some thinning shears at some point, but right now, you're probably good to go.

Janet I agree about a picture. I can offer much better advice if I see what you're dealing with.

Attachments:
File comment: right after spay before coat grew in
IMG_3099.JPG
IMG_3099.JPG [ 122.6 KiB | Viewed 1297 times ]
File comment: About two years after spay, her coat is super full and fluffy
IMG_5037-1.JPG
IMG_5037-1.JPG [ 144.93 KiB | Viewed 1297 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:53 pm 
Active Forum Member

I was going to try to find a picture to post but then I saw the first picture of Penny and she looks nearly identical to my dog. Her coat, before it changed is very similar to my dog. This is where I am completely igonorant, if one wanted to make Penny's sides and legs much shorter (but still with a skirt) would you just use scissors? I just envision a choppy mess and I am not clear on whether that is done with sheers, clippers, or a combination.

Second question, I have another dog I am wanting to groom and he has much more of the typical cocker coat. I have shaved his back, head, face, and ears but I would like to shorten his legs and skirt. Can one use a 4FC on the skirt and legs? I have a 4, 7, and 10 blade.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:25 pm 
Forum Legend

IMO the 4 will make the legs short especially if you goof LIKE I DID and have to fix it. Also a 4 will leave fringe, and not long fringe, on the sides, not really a skirt. I have done that too. I was okay with it on the sides, but it really made a mess of the legs. Of course, if I had a clue how to cut legs I may have been okay :dk or should I say Abby may have been okay. I just had to try right before her birthday party too. Poor baby. At any rate, I bet anything you do will be pretty than my attempt at legs.

Now for a good laugh or shock, whichever

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:27 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Thank you again, Julie. Penny's spay is scheduled for next Friday - we'll see what happens to her as her body adjusts to that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:39 am 
Forum Legend

On the original Grooming DVD, Julie H. does the legs by using the clippers to cut with the grain (sorry, can't remember which blade she uses. Julie...?) Then she runs her hand against the grain to stand the hairs up and trims with scissors to even it out. When I groomed one of our field coated fosters, I skipped the clipper part and just ran my hand against the grain on his legs and used the scissors to clip the uneven parts.

It's also really important to have quality scissors. We went to a local beauty supply and bought some professional grade shears. They were much sharper than the ones we got at Petco and made a huge difference.

Here's a link to 2 threads on field coated spaniel grooming:
http://zimfamilycockers.com/Forums/view ... =15&t=5220
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5267

There are some great pictures for reference.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:30 am 
Forum Legend

There are my babies...I often dream of getting a clipper kit to use in between grooms, but am terrified of making my guys look more ragamuffiny that they make themselves :lol3 I do use the coat king to make the hair lay better on the back on both Cassie and Hailey...it works well for both coat types. As you can see I leave the legs to Julie... :nw

[color=#4000FF]Molly, Kelly, Sassy, Champ, Julie, Sugar and Miss Kitty waiting for me at the Bridge.
Currently mom to:
Cassie the Parti-Sable girl
Hailey the Red, Field coated Spaniel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:06 am 
Forum Legend

debbiefive wrote:
IMO the 4 will make the legs short especially if you goof LIKE I DID and have to fix it. Also a 4 will leave fringe, and not long fringe, on the sides, not really a skirt. I have done that too. I was okay with it on the sides, but it really made a mess of the legs. Of course, if I had a clue how to cut legs I may have been okay :dk or should I say Abby may have been okay. I just had to try right before her birthday party too. Poor baby. At any rate, I bet anything you do will be pretty than my attempt at legs.

Now for a good laugh or shock, whichever

:ROFL: I don't remember seeing that picture and it is hilarious! I think you and I share the same sense of humor.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl