An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: My Dog Won’t Let Me Cut her Nails
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:20 am 
Active Forum Member

I feel like my Sue’s nails have become too long and it’s time to shorten them. But she really doesn’t want me to touch them. If she sees me with a razor blade, she gets all worked up and it’s a hassle for us to get along. Kindly advise me on what to do?

Post subject: Re: My Dog Won’t Let Me Cut her Nails
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:32 pm 
Forum Legend

In my experience, cockers are really smart about nail trimming (among other things). If it hurt once, they do Not want that same person touching their nails again. You may have to enlist someone to hold your dog while you trim, or take her to someone else to trim. The more experienced the trimmer, the better, as cockers pick up on confidence, or lack thereof.

Also, I recommend trimming the hair between the toes Before nail trimming, so hair pukking does not become part of the issue.

PS What is this "razor blade" you referred to??

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:01 am 
Active Forum Member

I agree with Chris about " cockers are really smart about nail trimming (among other things). If it hurt once, they do Not want that same person touching their nails again." I've said it before with my previous cocker, at 13 years I just tipped the quick, and she would NEVER let me touch her nails again. I tried enlisting my neighbor, me holding her and him doing the nails and no go. I had to take her to the vet and let them do it and two people had to do it, one holding her and the other trimming them. At that time I had bought the Pedi Paw nail grinder in the hopes that she would let me do it with that, and no she wouldn't even with that. When I got Snickie at 4 months she had already been been desensitized with having her paws handled, which made my life easier in doing her nails,I started her on the Pedi Paw. This past summer after 6 years the Pedi Paw stopped working, and I went out and bought the lithium battery operated Dremel. Best thing ever. Once you get used to using a nail grinder and the dog is complacent about it, they will let you know when you are getting too close to the quick by pulling their paw away, thus preventing any nail trauma. With the nail clippers there is no warning and once it's done, the damage is already done. There is no going back.

If you are unsure about doing her nails,and haven't already done any paw desensitizing exercises I would take her to the groomers or vet to have her nails done. If you still want to do it on your own,make sure you have plenty of treats on hand to give her, even if you just do one nail a day. And make sure that you let her see the tool, which ever it may be, the regular nail clipper, or a grinder, with lots of treats on hand bring it up close to her, let her sniff it, praise and treat. Clear nails are easier to do, you can see the quick, black nails are harder, because obviously you can't see it. Good luck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:01 pm 
Forum Legend

Why are you using a razor blade? Use dog nail clippers and if they are long take a little every week or 2. The quick moves down in longer nails.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:21 pm 
Forum Legend

If your dog is food motivated, every time you clip a nail big praise and a treat! I leave a pile of treats on the counter just out of her reach. She pays so much attention to them that it distracts her from what I'm doing. I recently switched to the pedi paws, and she has adapted to that with no problem at all. I was really pleasantly surprised.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:41 pm 
Active Forum Member

I use a dremmel for my girls, it works great and they are very receptive to it. When Muggsie was younger and before I did their grooming, someone must have quicked her and she so disliked having anyone touch her feet. After that it would take three of us to restrain her at the vet. I knew that couldn't continue, I disliked it as much as she did. I them started usin the dremmel and now she lays in my lap while I trim her nails. Both of us are much happier.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:55 am 
Active Forum Member

Darra wrote:
If your dog is food motivated, every time you clip a nail big praise and a treat! I leave a pile of treats on the counter just out of her reach. She pays so much attention to them that it distracts her from what I'm doing. I recently switched to the pedi paws, and she has adapted to that with no problem at all. I was really pleasantly surprised.

Wow..this sounds like a great strategy. I will definitely give it a shot. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:59 am 
Active Forum Member

MargeP wrote:
I use a dremmel for my girls, it works great and they are very receptive to it. When Muggsie was younger and before I did their grooming, someone must have quicked her and she so disliked having anyone touch her feet. After that it would take three of us to restrain her at the vet. I knew that couldn't continue, I disliked it as much as she did. I them started usin the dremmel and now she lays in my lap while I trim her nails. Both of us are much happier.

It can be such a daunting task trying to get hold of her. I will see if I can try a dremmel. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:52 pm 
Forum Legend

Guillotine Nail Trimmer Clipper for a female dog.

Don't forget to trim the hair between the pads. :lol3 if you can do that nail trimming is no problem.

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:44 am 
Forum Legend

Don't know if it will helped but giving my dog a massage all over his body, then the legs, and his pads as a puppy. What do I know only our third cocker.

I did learn how show dog people train their dogs to stay still on the grooming table this last Fall. That was very interesting. Training a puppy to stay still. All these tricks that most breeder don't do. What would you pay for a dog that had been trained that way?

Our other dogs were awful. Two people couldn't handle them. We would get a phone call from the groomer come pick up your dog!!!!!

I would start with the massage, the legs then between the pads. I don't think it will work for your dog as it's pretty late. My dog knows there is a great treat at the end. Some bison jerky human grade. Don't know if this helped me. As I do all the up keep.

He doesn't like his front legs being worked on but takes the abuse. :lol

Joe