An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Question for those living in hot weather areas
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:26 am 
Active Forum Member

What is the best method to protect feet from super hot pavement?

We're headed back to FL in August :bang 2yrs ago, Princess burned her paws on the pavement. It wasnt a horrible burn, but I still feel guilty. I'd like to avoid a repeat.

We're staying in a condo so pavement is unavoidable. I'm not really an early am person but I tried to start long walks by 9am. Princess is tenuously housebroken at best so she needs to go out every 2-3h. No way to avoid 'peak' 10-2 time. I was thinking of using paw wax. Should I leave her feet extra furry instead? I could try boots but after she peed on the carpet 3x, my mom insisted on diapers and adding 1 more thing when trying to get out the door quickly of a 3rd floor walk up will be difficult.

I'm also thinking of going shorter with their hair. Right now, they're in fairly typical suburban haircuts - legs/skirt are 3in long. Thinking of buzzing down to a puppy cut at least on Teddy who has thick b/t hair. Thoughts? I cant remember what I did for him last time.

Post subject: Re: Question for those living in hot weather areas
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:43 pm 
Forum Legend

Great question!
I don't think I've ever dealt with this issue. But my logic tells me more fur would be better. When the fur is long on the bottom of Chessies feet we say she is wearing slippers. Sooooooooooo to me, wearing slippers would protect those pads better than bare feet. :happy Same with the haircut... although it seems contrary, the longer fur would protect from the sun better than a short shaved cut.

Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in ...

Chesapeake NF, AX, AXJ (CGC)
4/20/10

The road to MACH is full of jumps and weaves....

Competing in Master Agility
Double Q's - 3
MACH Points -126
MX Q's - 4
MJX Q's - 4

(edited 12/17)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:50 pm 
Forum Legend

I live in Florida, about an hour south of St. Augustine near Daytona, so I can give you Gromit's point of view. I can walk her early in the morning, before around 7:30 am, and she's happy to walk. Any later than that, and it's too hot for her to be outside for any length of time. She will literally walk over to the first shady tree she finds, and lay down in the grass under it and not want to walk anymore. So, the rest of the day, She just goes in the back yard, does her business, and them come right back inside the air conditioned house.

How much does your dog weigh? My suggestion would be to just carry her across any pavement, and then let her walk in the grass. Also, it's the asphalt (blacktop) that is so hot. Sidewalks don't get as hot. And the fur on Gromit's feet (around the pads) are a bit longer.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:27 pm 
Forum Legend

Very hot pavement here too right now. We save her long walks for morning and late evening. If you don't have grass nearby and cannot avoid the hot afternoon outing, then you could get a stroller with a cover for shade and take her to a grassy patch where you can put her down to do her business.

As for hair length, I had to get rid of Cici's skirt for the summer and keep her hair in a puppy cut - slightly longer on the legs, but very short on the back and belly. She is able to stay out for longer and enjoy herself a bit.

If you don't like the stroller idea, I suppose you could try pee pads?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:55 pm 
Active Forum Member

My girls use these socks, they have non slid all the way around, they don't seem to mind them. I do not use them on hot pavement but I am thinking they would work great for potty trips outside.

http://t.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/r ... og-booties

Waiting At Rainbow Bridge; Lexi ~ Buff ~12/11/2008 - 10/17/2017 [i]and [/i] Brandy~Red/White Parti Cocker~7/96-11/2008

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:30 am 
Active Forum Member

I live in South Korea (and it gets sweltering here in the summers). I use Pawz Dog Boots. http://pawzdogboots.com/ You can order them on Amazon as well. My Cocker wears the red ones (size small, I believe). They don't affect their gate like other dog shoes do. I'd also recommend some Musher's Wax or something.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:30 am 
Forum Legend

Since dogs sweat through their feet, I would think that having the fur on their pads would not only hold in the heat, but any moisture as well, and we all know that cockers have yeasty feet anyway (Frito Feet, I call them).
The fur on the bottom of the feet always caused my cocker to slip and slide on hard surfaces inside, which could lead to injury.
If you use socks or booties, I would just be sure the temp is cool enough so that the dog has the ability to release the heat/sweat.

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci