The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Going to the groomers - some questions on whiskers, etc.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:39 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi. I'm Melissa and this is Ruger.
Attachment:
IMG_0235.JPG
IMG_0235.JPG [ 22.76 KiB | Viewed 3207 times ]

We rescued him in November and as you can see, he was pretty well-groomed when we got him. In January I took him to a groomer who doesn't use restraints and therefore couldn't do much to Ruger's face except trim his eyebrows and beard with some scissors. He has what she calls a teddybear face.

After reading some of the youtube videos on grooming and doing some reading, I decided to try a different groomer because he is really starting to look like an ewok, and I think his face needs more trimming than the first groomer did.
Attachment:
IMG_0609.JPG
IMG_0609.JPG [ 102.27 KiB | Viewed 3207 times ]

I was a little concerned watching these grooming tutorials as they would shave the whiskers off. I'm curious what you all think of this? What about eyelashes?

I think I am going to ask for a shorter cut (puppy cut?) as we are in Florida and he's always getting little green seed thingies in his fur when he's running around outside. How should I ask for the legs to be cut?

Any advice on what I should request from the groomer is appreciated. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Going to the groomers - some questions on whiskers, etc.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:14 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi Melissa,

All good questions. Please take detailed instructions. The first time I asked for a puppy cut and gave no instructions, I got a complete shave down because it was easier for the groomer, I suspect. Needless to say, Cici looked ridiculous until her face and legs filled out a bit.

Please ask the groomer if they have experience with a cocker.

Face - ask them to use a 10 blade, but not shave her too close. Take the bear face away, but don't get it all the way down too close. Looks funny to me, at least. I skim Cici's face with a 10 blade. The whiskers will get cut off, that's fine.

Eyelashes - they normally remove these when shaving around the eyes. I don't like it. I love Cici's eyelashes. I ask the groomer to leave them or trim them, but not remove.

Legs - you can ask for "column" legs, and ask for the length you want. It depends on how long you are going between grooms. You could ask for 1 or 1.5 inches on her legs or more if you want fluffier.

They must shave the inside of the ears. If you like the look of cocker top knot like in the Zim pic above with the top of the ears shaved, you could ask for that. I don't like shaving the top of Cici's ears, so I say just trim the ears and leave a fuller, rounder top knot (crown hair)

If you use a harness, then the leg pits should be shaved otherwise they matt horribly and it's a delicate area to handle.

Here are some links from this forum that could be helpful in showing pics if your scroll:

https://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Forums ... ilit=julie

https://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Forums ... an#p133726

Videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ_GBPP ... e=youtu.be

http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Forums/ ... =15&t=7691 –legs tips

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:24 am 
Active Forum Member

Cici wrote:
Hi Melissa,

All good questions. Please take detailed instructions. The first time I asked for a puppy cut and gave no instructions, I got a complete shave down because it was easier for the groomer, I suspect. Needless to say, Cici looked ridiculous until her face and legs filled out a bit.

Please ask the groomer if they have experience with a cocker.

Face - ask them to use a 10 blade, but not shave her too close. Take the bear face away, but don't get it all the way down too close. Looks funny to me, at least. I skim Cici's face with a 10 blade. The whiskers will get cut off, that's fine.

Eyelashes - they normally remove these when shaving around the eyes. I don't like it. I love Cici's eyelashes. I ask the groomer to leave them or trim them, but not remove.

Legs - you can ask for "column" legs, and ask for the length you want. It depends on how long you are going between grooms. You could ask for 1 or 1.5 inches on her legs or more if you want fluffier.

They must shave the inside of the ears. If you like the look of cocker top knot like in the Zim pic above with the top of the ears shaved, you could ask for that. I don't like shaving the top of Cici's ears, so I say just trim the ears and leave a fuller, rounder top knot (crown hair)

If you use a harness, then the leg pits should be shaved otherwise they matt horribly and it's a delicate area to handle.

Here are some links from this forum that could be helpful in showing pics if your scroll:

https://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Forums ... ilit=julie

https://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Forums ... an#p133726

Videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ_GBPP ... e=youtu.be

http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Forums/ ... =15&t=7691 –legs tips

:wv Once again, you responded with wonderful advice. :love

I did ask if the groomer had experience with cockers, and the answer was yes. However, I made it clear I wanted to speak with the groomer before I left Ruger there. I was just going to give verbal instructions, but per your advice, I'm going to copy and print out the great suggestions you gave me.

I don't want the legs too fluffy. My husband wanted me to tell the groomer to trim Ruger's legs close because when we take him outside while the grass his wet, his feet and lower legs get sopping wet and towel drying them doesn't help much. But I don't want him to look goofy. I guess I'll ask for a column?

Definitely want the inside/underside of the ears shaved. I took a scissors to that area the other day because it was overgrown - I'm paranoid about him getting an ear infection again.

What number blade do you like on the back?

After reading a post on drying cages, they sound scary. Should I ask if they use them?

Anyway, thanks for your great suggestions and helpful links. I appreciate it as I'm nervous...am very protective of him and this is all new to me, but I'm staying positive and hope all goes well.

:tywag

Last edited by morewineplease on Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:22 am 
Forum Legend

I just wanted to say that Ruger is SUCH a handsome boy!

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:26 am 
Active Forum Member

TinaP wrote:
I just wanted to say that Ruger is SUCH a handsome boy!

Thank you so much!! He is such a joy. So lucky to have him. :love

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:04 am 
Forum Legend

You are most welcome, and by the way, there is no real cure for his bear face. He just has one and it's pretty adorable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:28 am 
Forum Legend

I'm in Florida, too, so I know what you're talking about with those green sticky seeds. I groom Gromit myself, so here's how she's done. For her legs, I'll generally use 3/4" combs, which still leave her with pretty "tunnel" legs, but they're short enough that they don't mat or tangle and they dry relatively fast. I do shave her face, including whiskers and eyelashes, with a #9 blade, as that's the longest one on the Wahl Bravura cordless clipper that I use. I also shave the top 3rd or so of the inside and outside of her ears, to make her look like a cocker and also to keep the weight down and allow for good air circulation to her ear canals. I do give her a short top knot, but the rest of her neck, down the top of her back, is all shaved with the #9, which is then blended into her skirt. I also only shave the top of her tail, as I personally think that her "tail feathers" are adorable! Gromit is a black/tan cocker, so when I shave her tail that way it's black and shaved on top, with pretty tan feathers on the bottom. That's not "breed standard grooming" at all, but she's not a show dog, and so it's my personal preference. That's the way for you to look at it, too. Whatever you decide, it's your preference. Over time (and possibly seasonally) you learn what you like best, and what works best for him. I'll tend to let Gromit's skirt and legs grow out for several months, and only clip her face, ears, back, privates, and feet in-between. It's a lot faster. Then, when I start seeing tangles, or those danged sticky seeds are in season, I know it's time for a full groom.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:18 pm 
Active Forum Member

Cici wrote:
You are most welcome, and by the way, there is no real cure for his bear face. He just has one and it's pretty adorable.

Oh, I think he's adorable no matter what. I don't mind that he has a teddy bear face, he's just starting to look a little unkempt. Am hoping if his face is groomed it will be easier to keep his eyes and beard clean.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:28 pm 
Active Forum Member

Darra wrote:
I'm in Florida, too, so I know what you're talking about with those green sticky seeds. I groom Gromit myself, so here's how she's done. For her legs, I'll generally use 3/4" combs, which still leave her with pretty "tunnel" legs, but they're short enough that they don't mat or tangle and they dry relatively fast. I do shave her face, including whiskers and eyelashes, with a #9 blade, as that's the longest one on the Wahl Bravura cordless clipper that I use. I also shave the top 3rd or so of the inside and outside of her ears, to make her look like a cocker and also to keep the weight down and allow for good air circulation to her ear canals. I do give her a short top knot, but the rest of her neck, down the top of her back, is all shaved with the #9, which is then blended into her skirt. I also only shave the top of her tail, as I personally think that her "tail feathers" are adorable! Gromit is a black/tan cocker, so when I shave her tail that way it's black and shaved on top, with pretty tan feathers on the bottom. That's not "breed standard grooming" at all, but she's not a show dog, and so it's my personal preference. That's the way for you to look at it, too. Whatever you decide, it's your preference. Over time (and possibly seasonally) you learn what you like best, and what works best for him. I'll tend to let Gromit's skirt and legs grow out for several months, and only clip her face, ears, back, privates, and feet in-between. It's a lot faster. Then, when I start seeing tangles, or those danged sticky seeds are in season, I know it's time for a full groom.

Wow - thank you so much for the detailed info! I'm taking notes. I will try to have his legs done the way you suggested. Am glad to read that others shave the whiskers (and in your case the eyelashes too) because after doing some googling, I was really reluctant to shave off the whiskers.

I'm not concerned about breed standard grooming, but as you said, want to do what I think looks good and works best for him (and also for living in Florida - aren't those green sticky seeds a pain??). I don't have the confidence or patience to try to groom him myself yet. He is soooo wiggly. I cannot clean his ears without my husband holding him. I can't imagine grooming him, especially his face, I'd be so nervous I'd hurt him. But I'd like to learn how someday so I can at least do cleanup between grooming appointments.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:18 pm 
Active Forum Member

I think shaving off the whiskers makes for spikey kisses and, well, I just like the whiskers. I shave them off on occasion.

Eye lashes... again, I just like them but cut them on occasion.

I'm going to guess the little green seed things are Drymaria cordata... suggest treating lawn for weeds.

Advice on what you should request from the groomer: don't shave the back. Strip it(remove the under coat). (Contrary to what you would think, shaving makes the back hotter because it traps the heat. Also, being in Florida, UV exposure is especially an issue and shaving gets rid of the protective guard hairs covering the skin.) Your groomer won't do this--and can't until dog's coat grows out-- so just say leave the back alone.

I'm an hour south. Bring your baby to me at the next Tampa area dog show and I'll do the grooming. If I ruled the world, all cockers would be groomed like show cockers. :love

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:33 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

I groom my girls myself, that way I get what I want, although I am not that great with the legs. I do trim the back also only because it is just easier to do. I greatly prefer a closely shaved face and having the eyebrows trimmed. I cannot imagine how annoying it would be for a dog with long eyelashes, although they easily accept anything we do to them. I don't think long eyelashes would really do the job of keeping stuff out of their eyes since they sort of stick together going out to the sides a bit when they are longer. Imagine if your eyelashes grew, would you like them hanging down in front of your eyes? Just my opinion of course. Here is my Angel before and after a face groom...oh and I have never had a pokey face from trimming the whiskers.

She has snow on her face here but you can see the scruffy look...
ImageIMG_5712a8 by rzyg, on Flickr

and freshly groomed. I just love this pic!!
ImageIMG_7161a8 by rzyg, on Flickr

Maya - Blue Merle born 5/28/06
Angel - White Buff rescued 4/19/09 at 4mo of age
Belle - Cocker mix rescued 6/5/13 at 8 weeks of age
^Ginger^ - Buff rescued 5/19/07 went to the bridge 5/26/13
^Lacey^ -Black Cocker always in our hearts 12/15/89-7/16/06

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:52 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi Folks, thank you for showing me your groomed dogs and I like the conversation.

This is the second time that I groomed my dog. I left the eyebrows long this time and enjoy that look. As far as I can tell, the dog can still see, but it did concern me. Donna, you did a terrific job grooming your dog's face, she is so pretty. Also, Ruger is a handsome boy.

I like to shave the face and keep the eyebrows long. I did shave my dog's whiskers accidentally and feel a little bad about it, even though it looks better that way. I also have the Bravura clipper and think it works great. I watched a vid on youtube that helped a lot.

This is the grooming job that I did on my puppy, Renoir.

Best,

"Renoir L'artiste Profonde"

Attachments:
IMG_0774.jpg
IMG_0774.jpg [ 31.74 KiB | Viewed 3007 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:25 am 
Active Forum Member

I also like the short face, although I keep Jennie's outer eyelashes longish. I have a Bravura, so everything between her eyes that is the width of the Bravura blade goes. I don't let the rest go more than about an inch and if they start looking lop-sided off they come!

Jennie has goopy eyes and it helps to keep the hair beneath them very short so I don't encourage that awful red stain. I keep her face trimmed very short. I have done this since she was a tiny puppy so she is very tolerant of it. But she HATES having her lip curl trimmed, so that is always my challenge. I try to comb it with a flea comb every morning when I do the goopy area beneath her eyes. But tho she is happy to have her "face brushed", she pulls away everytime I go near her lower jaw. About every three weeks, she goes on the grooming table for the battle of the lip curl. I'm happy to say I usually win!

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:11 pm 
Active Forum Member

Lizzy wrote:
I think shaving off the whiskers makes for spikey kisses and, well, I just like the whiskers. I shave them off on occasion.

Eye lashes... again, I just like them but cut them on occasion.

I'm going to guess the little green seed things are Drymaria cordata... suggest treating lawn for weeds.

Advice on what you should request from the groomer: don't shave the back. Strip it(remove the under coat). (Contrary to what you would think, shaving makes the back hotter because it traps the heat. Also, being in Florida, UV exposure is especially an issue and shaving gets rid of the protective guard hairs covering the skin.) Your groomer won't do this--and can't until dog's coat grows out-- so just say leave the back alone.

I'm an hour south. Bring your baby to me at the next Tampa area dog show and I'll do the grooming. If I ruled the world, all cockers would be groomed like show cockers. :love

Sorry so late to respond. I had issues logging in (forgot my password) and couldn't have it emailed to me because of email issues (thanks Verizon).

Anyway, thanks for the info and advice! I took Ruger to the groomer at the vet's office because I figured it'd be a safe/clean environment, and she said she'd groomed cockers before. Well, I won't be taking him back there.

First of all, it is an all day affair, drop him off in the morning, pick him up in the afternoon. I guess that's because she works on multiple dogs at once. I did not like him being stuck there all day.

Secondly, the next day after he got groomed he developed a cough that lasted a few days. Turned out to be not a big deal, but it worried me enough that I took him to the vet. I am sure that he developed the cough because the groomer said he didn't like the blow dryer so she put him in front of a fan to dry off the rest of the way. Seriously?

Thirdly, she looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language when I mentioned blade numbers and column legs. She pretty much shaved him. I didn't recognize him when I went to pick him up.

Ruger's hair finally grew out and was becoming bushy, was time for a trim. I am happy to report that I tried another groomer last weekend who did a fantastic job. Happened to try a place called Woof Gang Bakery & Grooming. It's like a spa experience for the dog. 1 groomer per dog. The groomer has worked on show cockers and did a fabulous job on Ruger. So happy I found her! :joy

So anyway, thank you Lizzy. Wish you lived closer! I will inquire about stripping the back next time I go and see what she says.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:18 pm 
Active Forum Member

Donna in WI wrote:
I groom my girls myself, that way I get what I want, although I am not that great with the legs. I do trim the back also only because it is just easier to do. I greatly prefer a closely shaved face and having the eyebrows trimmed. I cannot imagine how annoying it would be for a dog with long eyelashes, although they easily accept anything we do to them. I don't think long eyelashes would really do the job of keeping stuff out of their eyes since they sort of stick together going out to the sides a bit when they are longer. Imagine if your eyelashes grew, would you like them hanging down in front of your eyes? Just my opinion of course. Here is my Angel before and after a face groom...oh and I have never had a pokey face from trimming the whiskers.

She has snow on her face here but you can see the scruffy look...
ImageIMG_5712a8 by rzyg, on Flickr

and freshly groomed. I just love this pic!!
ImageIMG_7161a8 by rzyg, on Flickr

Oh my gosh!!!! What an appropriate name. Angel is precious!!! You did a fabulous job grooming her. What a beautiful face! Hope I can get the confidence to try grooming Ruger someday. He has pretty eyelashes, but they aren't too long, otherwise they'd get goopy and in the way. They are perfect, just like him. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:21 pm 
Active Forum Member

RenoirTheArtist wrote:
Hi Folks, thank you for showing me your groomed dogs and I like the conversation.

This is the second time that I groomed my dog. I left the eyebrows long this time and enjoy that look. As far as I can tell, the dog can still see, but it did concern me. Donna, you did a terrific job grooming your dog's face, she is so pretty. Also, Ruger is a handsome boy.

I like to shave the face and keep the eyebrows long. I did shave my dog's whiskers accidentally and feel a little bad about it, even though it looks better that way. I also have the Bravura clipper and think it works great. I watched a vid on youtube that helped a lot.

This is the grooming job that I did on my puppy, Renoir.

Best,

"Renoir L'artiste Profonde"

I just love seeing pics of other peoples dogs. Renoir is gorgeous!!! Love his coloring! And I see why you like to keep his eyebrows as they are - gives him character.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:24 pm 
Active Forum Member

SusanT wrote:
I also like the short face, although I keep Jennie's outer eyelashes longish. I have a Bravura, so everything between her eyes that is the width of the Bravura blade goes. I don't let the rest go more than about an inch and if they start looking lop-sided off they come!

Jennie has goopy eyes and it helps to keep the hair beneath them very short so I don't encourage that awful red stain. I keep her face trimmed very short. I have done this since she was a tiny puppy so she is very tolerant of it. But she HATES having her lip curl trimmed, so that is always my challenge. I try to comb it with a flea comb every morning when I do the goopy area beneath her eyes. But tho she is happy to have her "face brushed", she pulls away everytime I go near her lower jaw. About every three weeks, she goes on the grooming table for the battle of the lip curl. I'm happy to say I usually win!

Thanks for your input. Ruger pulls away from me whenever I want to wipe the gook from his eyes, I just can't imagine trying to groom his face myself. Although, the latest groomer I went to, who did an awesome job, said that he was an angel. Maybe I'll try someday. Until then, I'm just glad I found someone good.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:20 am 
Forum Legend

I was wondering how Ruger's grooming went! I am sorry to hear the first groomer did not listen, but glad you found another. It's a good thing their hair grows so quickly.

Please post pics! He is so cute :nw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:56 am 
Active Forum Member

Very happy you found someone--photos please! Could you PM me the name of the groomer please.

Cluster show in Brandon coming up in June, so excited :happy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:21 am 
Active Forum Member

Cici wrote:
I was wondering how Ruger's grooming went! I am sorry to hear the first groomer did not listen, but glad you found another. It's a good thing their hair grows so quickly.

Please post pics! He is so cute :nw

Thanks! :)

It's so hard to get good pics of him. Here are a few I took yesterday. He's wearing his awesome new harness. Has a matching collar and leash.

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 93.45 KiB | Viewed 2683 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 87.35 KiB | Viewed 2683 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 116.79 KiB | Viewed 2683 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 109.75 KiB | Viewed 2683 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:35 am 
Active Forum Member

Lizzy wrote:
Very happy you found someone--photos please! Could you PM me the name of the groomer please.

Cluster show in Brandon coming up in June, so excited :happy

PMd you. :)

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 104.98 KiB | Viewed 2671 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:16 pm 
Forum Legend

Omg...I LOVE LOVE his face. What a handsome chocolate boy!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:08 am 
Active Forum Member

Cici wrote:
Omg...I LOVE LOVE his face. What a handsome chocolate boy!

Thanks! I think he is adorable. :goof

I just viewed this on a computer and the pics I posted are all sideways!! They were fine on my iphone. :dk