An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Doggie Dandruff!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:44 am 
Active Forum Member

With this change of weather, my gorgeous black cocker spaniel, Lily (nine months old), has developed dandruff! Her skin feels "thick" and she has white flakes. She is also itchy.

The Veterinarian recommended a Bayer dandruff shampoo that he sells, but I wanted to look at additional options (such as a change in food if she needs it, or turning on my household humidifier already).

Has anyone experienced this? What has worked for your cocker spaniels? If it helps, she is on a diet of 50% Wellness Puppy and 50% Purina Pro Plan Puppy and she seems to drink plenty of water.

Thanks for any advice you may have!!

Also, because I find her adorable, here is my Lily:

Attachments:
IMG_1667.JPG
IMG_1667.JPG [ 139.9 KiB | Viewed 1565 times ]

Post subject: Re: Doggie Dandruff!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:13 pm 
Active Forum Member

Think you asking the right questions, start on the inside and the outside will sort its self out. At lilly's age a diet containing sweet potato and poultry as the base would be my choice, no rice top the list. The more you pay the better the quality (usually). A vet once said to me 90% of visits were caused by malnutrition ie wrong diet for a particular breed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:35 pm 
Active Forum Member

What James said is true, there aren't to many old Vets around to tell you how dogs started having problems, which was due to the over processed diets. most Vets now are all young and have nothing to go by only what they are taught in school and how to treat it with meds.
I remember when Snickie was that age she had dry skin and dandruff. When springtime came I had started stripping her coat and I never saw a return of dandruff. I have a link here with Dr Karen Becker that discusses that problem. I can see by the picture that the dog is clipped, may want to try using at least a de-shedder on her. Other possibilities food, if you don't want to give human food, you may want to give some can food, to much dry food can affect them that way. And you also may want to give the dog some fish oil and coconut oil. I believe most problems with pets have to do with their diet. I am Snickie's personal chef :lol3 She gets good ole home cooking with fish oil and coconut oil Glad you found a pup, I remember last year when you were looking for one, she's a cutie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRPEwc-aRiU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:38 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi!

She is so cute - I have a thing for the black cuties :hp

You could use the dandruff shampoo and add coconut oil to her diet. You culd give her a spoon to lick on as a treat or you could add it to her food. I recommend doing the nutriscan test from Dr. Dodds (Hemopet) to find out what she might be intolerant to. It was well worth the cost and peace of mind for me and her health. Because of this test, I have made adjustments to Cici's diet.I discovered she needed to avoid fish oils. Generally, the fewer ingredients in processed foods, the better.

I do home cooking now for Cici - I get inexpensive ground meat like turkey from costco as a base and add organs from the local butcher (chicken liver, gizzard, heart - great additions and so inexpensive), carrots, coconut oil, ground beef, zuchini, green beans whatever veggies I can add - I throw it in a crock pot and freeze it and she has food for two weeks. To make sure her diet is balanced, I add bone meal (she gets bones too), some kibble, and various limited ingredient canned foods I found that did not contain ingredients she was intolerant of. I posted a list on another thread you could check out if helpful.

https://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Forums ... wy#p139036

I mix and rotate the foods and that adds to the convenience since i don't run out of any one food too quickly.

If she is really itchy after the bath, you could try Virbac's RESICORT leave on lotion if your vet recommends it for Lily. It worked for Cici when she was super itchy in the first two-three weeks after we brought her home.

I currently use this shampoo for Cici - https://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Forums ... wy#p139036

Lastly, you could also give her probiotics http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RG ... sr_ph&sr=1