An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Shampoo and flea & tick protection
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:12 pm 
Active Forum Member

Which shampoo is best for a silver buff cocker and which flea and tick protection product do you recommend?

Tannar (fur-kid, silver/buff cocker)

Post subject: Re: Shampoo and flea & tick protection
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:32 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi Amy,

Please see this thread about some of the concerns of using nexgard/frontline vs. the imperfect, but natural alternatives out there.

https://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Forums ... =frontline

These are the two shampoos I use. I use the flea and tick one as a second round after the neem shampoo because it does not lather much. I stopped using frontline 2 months ago. I don't know if I will be able to do this long-term. We'll see. The Royal shampoo does not contain any plant ingredients that might feed yeast issues.

http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Specialti ... 9VZ85QRBRP

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007H0 ... ge_o04_s00

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:05 pm 
Active Forum Member

I don't mind using a shampoo type flea and tick product, has long has it gets the job done, and smells good.... does the shampoo smell good... how long between baths? I don't use Frontline for my pets... I would prefer to use something more natural base than chemical like frontline, if that makes sense?

Tannar (fur-kid, silver/buff cocker)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:01 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi again Amy,

They both smell great. The flea and tick shampoo does not lather up, so I use it in combination with the neem one, which I love. The royal flea shampoo smells like cloves and cinnamon. I stopped using frontline only two months ago, but so far no fleas or ticks. You can also use natural anti flea and tick sprays before you go out, but I am not doing that. So far so good.

I bathe Cici every 2.5-3 weeks. The real test will be the summer here. I really want to do without using frontline or any of that stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:07 pm 
Forum Legend

Also, the reason I chose the royal shampoo was because I didn't want any oatmeal or any similar ingredients that might encourage yeast. I was just being extra cautious.

Some spray their pets before going out with vet's best

http://www.amazon.com/Vets-Best-Natural ... 3AKBPWW233

How often you bathe also depends on where you take walks and the length of the fur. We don't go into very woody areas with long grass too often.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:26 pm 
Forum Legend

What I have used to kill fleas is Dr. Bonner Peppermint organic soap found at Trader Joe's. This is about every five days in the summer. I do know that coconut oil, is an instant kill too, if you can drop some on a live one. So if coconut oil kills fleas, I'll bet that Brazilian Keratin Therapy Shampoo would do the same thing. Most drug stores should carry it. It smells real good too.

I don't know about killing ticks I have a tick key or tick spoon I have both, but if they are alive and cruising white vinegar rinse they will drop off the dog. I did this as my cocker got muddy I was trying to wash off the mud and found ticks on him cruising around on his body.

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:25 pm 
Active Forum Member

Joe in North Bay Ca wrote:
What I have used to kill fleas is Dr. Bonner Peppermint organic soap found at Trader Joe's. This is about every five days in the summer. I do know that coconut oil, is an instant kill too, if you can drop some on a live one. So if coconut oil kills fleas, I'll bet that Brazilian Keratin Therapy Shampoo would do the same thing. Most drug stores should carry it. It smells real good too.

I don't know about killing ticks I have a tick key or tick spoon I have both, but if they are alive and cruising white vinegar rinse they will drop off the dog. I did this as my cocker got muddy I was trying to wash off the mud and found ticks on him cruising around on his body.

Joe

Funny how you should mention the Brazilian Keratin Coconut. Every so often I use it, when I feel like smelling the coconut, and with Miss Cottony coat here, I have to use handfuls of the conditioner, so the aroma is pretty strong. Three weeks ago I used it and it has been pretty warm here and the ticks are still out and about. Can't say if they would die while using it on the dog, but they do not die with the effects of it still lingering on her, took about 6 off of her, so the smell of coconut did not deter the ticks from hitching a ride or attaching themselves to her. Fleas that's another story, it would probably work for them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:05 am 
Recommended Breeder

We have been using the Citrus Bark to Basic shampoo for years. It has natural ingredients, a clean fresh scent and no harsh chemicals. Works great also!
http://www.groomerschoice.com/Bark-2-Ba ... nfo/BBCPG/