Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Top Knots and Tiny Knots
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:47 am 
Active Forum Member

Hey everyone!
Brisket is now 9 months old, and his hair is crazy! I'm looking to give him a shorter, summer coat soon but I want to keep a top knot on him. However, his hair is very curly! See exaggerated example in the first picture below :ROFL

Attachment:
File comment: "Exaggerated" curly do!
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 29.79 KiB | Viewed 1750 times ]

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to get it to lay flatter and straighter? I've been using a coat king and it looks like it helped a little:

Attachment:
File comment: With his snood.
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 61.61 KiB | Viewed 1750 times ]

Attachment:
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 58.6 KiB | Viewed 1750 times ]

He's participating in our local Pet Expo parade this Saturday and he'll probably be the only non-show dog participating (there weren't very many cocker spaniels so they had asked me). I'm taking him to the groomers the day before in hopes he'll at least look like a show dog (because I know he totally won't act like one! :lol2 )

The second thing is, he's starting to get really tiny mats in his hair, especially near his arm pits, that are so tiny, my brush barely finds them, and when I try to carefully untangle them, they just end up completely falling out in tiny balls, or they're so tight, I just end up snipping them off :cry Are there any tips to prevent these tiny mats as much as possible? I can't seem to catch them before they get too matted, they seem to just appear suddenly, as I do brush him every day. I mist him with coat handler conditioner before brushing him.

Thanks!!

Post subject: Re: Top Knots and Tiny Knots
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:00 am 
Recommended Breeder

At nine months of age, he is most likely blowing his puppy coat. This is not a fun time! You need to be combing him, not just brushing him. If you only brush him, he will mat at the skin. If you cannot get a 2" comb through his coat, then he is matted. Up until this time, you have gotten away with just brushing him, because puppy coats don't tend to mat much. If you go to petedge.com or ryanspets, you can look at many different tools that you might find helpful. Greyhound combs and some of the various dematting tools might be very helpful, which ones depends on his coat type (not all cocker coats are equal). I use 22/40 thinning shears on the crests of my show cockers. I think that there have been posts on various ways of doing crests on this forum in the past-- you might want to search for them. Good luck and he is very cute!

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:33 am 
Forum Legend

I just keep the armpit hair shaved really short. No one sees it anyway, and it's a really sensitive area to try and comb or work mats out of. Same with the lower belly and inside back thighs.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:05 pm 
Forum Legend

I have no advice but am just stopping in to say that Brisket is so dang cute! Can you use a flat iron on a dog's hair?

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:35 pm 
Forum Legend

Yes, I just keep the armpit area shaved. Much easier, doesn't show at all whether you have a skirt or summer cut. Same with lower belly and private area.

Cici has a very curly top knot that doesn't get matted thankfully. He is very cute as he is!!! I love his waves and curls.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:23 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

He is so cute! Love all the pics.And as Gale said, you are experiencing the awful transition to adult hair.

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:40 pm 
Active Forum Member

Bit late but...

When you're carding/stripping, part down the middle and brush the hair 90 degrees in the other direction, i.e. in your case(on the head) aim towards the ears instead of the back. This makes the wayward hairs stand out... then card/strip those areas(in the normal direction)... Repeat the brushing to find more wayward hairs, then repeat the carding/stripping... over and over until it lays flat... then thinning shears(come up from the bottom/underneath) if still not cooperating, then comb and card again. Could also just keep the head even shorter.

As to the tiny knots, I use a flea comb(the tiny pin spacing helps catch them where regular combs can't)... Any cutting makes the hair length uneven, causing more knots. Every few days/at least once a week, comb under the arms, making sure you get all the way under/into the depths. Using a comb all over also helps remove the dead/falling out hairs so they don't stay in the coat to create mats.

(Also, I found using a harness created mats under the arms.)

"Brushing is beneficial, but combing is critical"

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:58 pm 
Forum Legend

I like the combs with spinning teeth for mats, but you still have to be careful not to pull.