Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Mars coat king and Furminator
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:41 am 
Active Forum Member

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to the forum. I've always come here (as a guest before) to get advise and recommendations on everything related to cockers. What is the difference between a Mars coat king and the furminator? They look very similar, are they essentially the same type of tool, just under different names? I've been grooming Anakin myself since he came home almost two years ago. There has been many disastrous attempts but thankfully grooming sessions have been getting better. Slowly, I've gotten my grooming supplies and I'm in need of something that will take out Anakin's undercoat. He has a lot of wispy fur sticking out here and there on his back and I read on a different post it could be undercoat. Any recommendations would be great. Thanks!

Last edited by Lacy on Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Mars coat king and Furminator
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:38 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

:hi Your little one is adorable and it looks like you are doing a great job grooming! We have used the Mar's Coat King for over ten years ... it the one grooming tool my dog LOVES. It must feel like getting a good back rub, and it does a fantastic job of getting the undercoat out without having to use a grooming knife. I hope now that you made the leap into posting :Clap , you'll join in more often. It takes a lot of people willing to post and share to keep sites like this one going.

Quality, two-sided bandanas for your treasured companion.
Made in the
USA under the direct supervision of
Genuine American Cocker Spaniels!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:07 am 
Active Forum Member

Taking the queue from Cindy, I'll add my two cents here.
When I first started out I bought the furminator as it was a bit more affordable. It worked… But I never figured out what all the hype was about. It never got “tons” of under coat out as it professed. And my girl still looked like she was licked by a whole herd of cows.
So I tried the Coat King and it is MUCH better at getting undercoat. And Cindy is right about the dogs loving it. They will sit for hours just to be ‘rubbed’ with it.
Others have discovered that the Coat King also works well in the bath. You lather up the pup and use it while they are all soapy. It gets even more hair out. So I do both the regular brushing with it and a bit at bath time as well. My girl still doesn’t have a completely cowlick-free back, but it definitely makes a huge difference.
And Anakin is a cutie!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:55 pm 
Forum Legend

What a cute pup! and really nice grooming job.

I have a white and black tri, her white hair mats like cotton, unless I get the undercoat out.
I use a Mars Coat King. I didn't understand what the hype was all about- I had a black cocker- until I got this one. I highly recommend it, and yes, she loves it too!

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:06 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Another question. The Mars removes the under coat well on the back. What do you do to remove it from the skirt/legs/chest?

Kudah-French Brittany rescued 06-2008
Blu - Buff Merle born 05-13-2010/Home on 08-28-2014

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:50 pm 
Recommended Breeder

On PetEdge.com there are tools called dematters/strippers. They come in different lengths. I use them to strip legs/skirts on my show dogs when I am taking them out of competition but don't want to cut them down. They remove the fluffy undercoat but leave the smooth top coat which makes them much easier to keep mat-free.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:56 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Gale wrote:
On PetEdge.com there are tools called dematters/strippers. They come in different lengths. I use them to strip legs/skirts on my show dogs when I am taking them out of competition but don't want to cut them down. They remove the fluffy undercoat but leave the smooth top coat which makes them much easier to keep mat-free.

Gale, could you post a link to exactly what tool you use. I think many of us would be interested in what to use on the sides. Thank you.

I also use the Coat King during baths, it works awesome taking alot of hair out on a soapy back.

Anakin is adorable! Love the name, is Luke or Leia the next puppy?

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:43 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Link, please.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:27 am 
Recommended Breeder

Okay, this is very embarrassing to admit, but I am a non-tekkie and can't figure out how to post the link to their page... But if you're interested go to PetEdge.com, click on grooming, next click on tools, and finally click on de-matters. I have TP450 and TP069. I use mostly the tools in TP450 for the purpose you are asking about, but occasionally TP069 is useful. Which one is best totally depends on the dog's coat which is why I have all of them. By the way, they are also really useful in taking out mats if used gently.
Hope this helps.
Gale

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:56 am 
Active Forum Member

Gale wrote:
Okay, this is very embarrassing to admit, but I am a non-tekkie and can't figure out how to post the link to their page... But if you're interested go to PetEdge.com, click on grooming, next click on tools, and finally click on de-matters. I have TP450 and TP069. I use mostly the tools in TP450 for the purpose you are asking about, but occasionally TP069 is useful. Which one is best totally depends on the dog's coat which is why I have all of them. By the way, they are also really useful in taking out mats if used gently.
Hope this helps.
Gale

Thought I would help you out :wink https://www.petedge.com/zpetedgemain/ca ... cale=en_US

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:48 am 
Recommended Breeder

Thanks! :wv

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:32 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:48 pm 
Active Forum Member

I have a furminator that Jennie does not enjoy (putting it mildly) so I just bought the Mars Coat King 20. It came today and while Jennie didn't hate it, she was much more interested in getting it away from me to chew on than letting me use it on her. The little bit that I was able to do accomplished... nothing. I got almost no hair off her at all!

It didn't come with directions, but I assume that you hold it with the pointy part down and the handle level with their skin and comb in the direction that the hair grows? Does that mean that she doesn't have any undercoat on her back to be removed?

I also tried doing her chest, which has some very stubborn mats, but that was futile. The tasty handle was too close to her sharp little teeth!

If there is a knack to using it, please share :goof

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:25 am 
Forum Legend

Yes with teeth down. Did you get the 20?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:48 am 
Active Forum Member

I did. With the teeth down and the handle parallel to her body, I got only a few wisps of hair with the outer teeth. I've since had her to the groomers and her body is super short right now, so I'll have to wait until it grows a bit before trying again. The groomer said she was losing her puppy coat and had lots of tiny mats right down next to her skin on her chest, inside her back legs and in her front 'leg pits'. I wasn't sure when she would lose her puppy coat... does 11 months sound about right?

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:23 pm 
Forum Legend

If her back is shaved you won't get undercoat out. As her hair grows you start getting more. Yes, I so remember those mats starting around 10 months. It was gawd awful! Abby's hair was always knotted everywhere. Ava's biggest mat problem was all 4 legs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:03 pm 
Active Forum Member

I tried out a Mars Coat King for the first time over the summer and loved it, so now that the show season is starting up again I plan on buying one from a show vendor. I was looking online and I see they come in all different sizes and spacing... so now I'm mentally strung up not wanting to get the wrong one. :goof

My only complaint is that it did cut the guard hairs, leaving a rougher texture(which if you ask me adds visual frizz) because it stands up more than me hand stripping out just the undercoat, leaving just a slick, glossy smooth back.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:03 pm 
Recommended Breeder

Hand stripping with a stripping knife is always preferable, but most people aren't aware or don't know how to do it, or are afraid to do it, so a Mars Coat King is a good option. Something that I do is to use the Coat King initially, and then hand strip and hand scissor. Use the finest (I think it's a 20) that Coat King makes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:15 pm 
Active Forum Member

Gale,

Can you recommend a good youtube video that can teach us how to hand strip?

I just want to get some of the undercoat out. I use a generic furminator w/varying amts of sucess - lately I've been cutting the top coat leaving Princess a frizzy mess.

I have a stripping knife which I dont think I've ever managed to use properly. Sadly, I gave my coatking away several years ago after my heavy coated cocker died and I didnt think I needed it anymore. :bang

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:05 pm 
Recommended Breeder

Unfortunately, I don't know of a youtube video, because my handler taught me how to do it. However, she told me as she was training me that it was basically done the same way as stripping a terrier's back, just done in a different pattern on the sides. There might be a terrier back stripping video. It's really not that difficult once you learn it especially if you're doing it on a pet cocker where hiding faults or accentuating positives is not important. I taught my 83 y/o mother to do it this year when she wasn't satisfied with the Coat King. I use a medium Classic (the brand) stripping knife which my handler recommended. It's not too expensive (about $15). You hold it at a 45 degree angle and strip in the direction the hair grows. You can cut your dog if you do it wrong. Also, you have to do the stripping over a period of time or the dog's back gets too sore. The difference between a Coat King and a stripping knife is that the Coat King cuts the hair and the stripping knife actually pulls the hair out. That is why a stripping knife leaves a flatter shinier coat.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:29 pm 
Forum Legend

Mars 20 is what you want for a cocker.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:40 am 
Active Forum Member

I had a hard time getting good results with the Mars Coat King... user error undoubtedly. I found a similar item at Amazon, except the blades were mounted sideways along the handle. I found it much easier to use and Jennie likes it better too. This is how it is listed at Amazon:

Four Paws Magic Coat De-Matting Tool - Sensitive Area - Fine & Medium Hair

The price was a little over $20.00, so it was worth trying. If you have a Prime membership, it is about $5.00 less. The handle is plastic and rubber and is more comfortable for me than the wooden handle of my Mars. And I think the blades are a little taller, which works really well on Jennie's long ear hair. The only knock against it is the blades work best with the right hand. If you are strongly left handed, I think it would be tough to use.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:13 pm 
Forum Legend

If your cocker has had a shaved back, it will take a while before the Mars works.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:04 am 
Forum Legend

When Cici's back is cut short for the summer, the furminator doesn't really grab hardly anything either. I need to try something else.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:28 pm 
Forum Legend

Mars coat king isn't used for dematting.