The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: 14 weeks too young for the Groomer?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:09 am 
Active Forum Member

Sperry dog has quite the overgrown puppy coat, and I want him to look snazzy for our Christmas card picture. I made an appointment for him to go to the groomer on Saturday, but I am getting nervous that 14 weeks is too young. He is up to date with his shots and has been going to doggie school for 4 weeks now.
Thoughts?! :?: :?: :?:

Post subject: Re: 14 weeks too young for the Groomer?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:47 am 
Active Forum Member

I took my puppy for her first puppy grooming at 12 weeks. She was up to date on her shots at that time and also was going through puppy training. I found that leaving her with our groomer also helped in socializing her with people and other dogs. My Daphne is great with strangers and continues to be great with her groomers.
Just be sure to give them special instructions if you need to. My puppy had an ear infection so i asked them to not wash her head but to do the rest of the body.

I also made sure the groomer I selected does not crate dogs. I felt very comfortable leaving her with them since they let her play with other dogs her age.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:03 am 
Forum Legend

I would say on the contrary, take him in as soon as possible! He has all of his shots, so he should be protected from most of the nasty stuff that can get passed around. Of course, you want to use a reputable groomer who is comfortable working with a puppy, but it's important for him to get comfortable with grooming as young as possible. Much like you have been taking him to "doggie school" so he can meet other animals and people, you want to expose him to "scary" things as much as possible when he's still growing and learning. The snipping scissors, loud blowdryers, vibrating clippers...remember, all of those things are terrifying for a dog at first. A positive experience with a great groomer now is a smart way to equip little Sperry with the tools he needs to be comfortable as an adult dog at the grooming shop. The alternative is you wait way too long and ultimately end up with a dog who shakes in fear, releases his bowels/bladder on the grooming table, or even becomes aggressive towards the groomer.

Be sure to tell your groomer it's his first time, and if you're nervous, maybe he or she will let you stick around for a bit while Sperry gets all spiffed up. Again, make sure you've chosen a dedicated groomer who will work diligently to make his experience wonderful.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:04 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thank you Adam and Rose! :wv I am just a little nervous. :goof The groomer comes highly recommended from our dog walker, who I just love and trust. But if I walk in and don't get a good feeling, I am going to trust my gut and head home. Sperry did not like my hair dryer after I gave him his bath, but hopefully he will do better. He is a strong willed boy and is doing well with other dogs so hopefully this will be a good experience for him. PS, Adam, I saw while reading through a thread that you mentioned a groomer in NYC charges $150 +/-!!! Sign me up for that kind of money!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:14 pm 
Forum Legend

barrettol wrote:
PS, Adam, I saw while reading through a thread that you mentioned a groomer in NYC charges $150 +/-!!! Sign me up for that kind of money!

Isn't that nutty! :lol2 It wasn't even a specialty groomer, just the closest shop to my apartment. They had "breed specific" pricing and I think (hope!) they were charging $150 for Cocker Spaniels in full coat, but even the "chop shop" at Petco charged me $80 when I got Oliver clipped one time, and for a HORRIBLE cut to boot! Needless to say, I invested in my own grooming equipment long ago...NYC is expensive enough without that to worry about.

Definitely share a photo or two when Sperry comes homes from the groomer...it's perfectly normal to be nervous about stuff like this, but I'm sure he'll do just great!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:58 pm 
Active Forum Member

I guess I'm really lucky that Jennie's breeder is also my groomer. We live in the same town and she is much less expensive than anywhere else in town. She groomed Jennie the day that I picked her up at 8 weeks so Jennie was familiar with the clippers and blow dryer from the start.

In fact, she exposed all the puppies to clippers (with the blade removed), blow dryer (a nice quiet one), vacuum cleaner (a nice noisy one) and as many other household noises as she could (door bell, toilet flushes, kitchen fan, etc). She made me promise to continue to use the blow dryer on Jennie at least once a week and to handle her head, tail and feet every day. Jennie is completely comfortable being groomed and at the vets as well.

I now have a 6 month old who loves the vacuum cleaner (she chases the wand, barking and butt-wiggling for all her worth) and the blow dryer. I have to bring her into the bathroom when I do my hair or listen to her cry outside the door. We walk every day and often she comes home with wet, dirty feet. She makes a beeline for the bathtub and gets her feet rinsed with the handheld shower. Then she gets them blown dry. It's a party!

So.... based on my experience, the sooner the better once her vaccinations are all done. Then if you keep up the exposure between sessions, Sperry will get used to it and it will be less stressful for you both.

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:07 am 
Active Forum Member

Susan I am jealous your breeder lives so close to you. Our breeder is out in the Western part of the state (3 hours each way) and then winters in Florida...I just wish she was able to groom Sperry. She exposed him to clippers and scissors before we got him, giving him 2 cuts and a few baths. I need to invest in a new dryer for myself anyway (or maybe that's just my excuse) :wink but I should look into one with a lower setting and maybe a medium heat setting. I'll try taking him in the bathroom with me when I do my hair, that's a good idea. It's funny what bothers them and what doesn't. Sperry doesn't mind the vacuum, hates the hairdryer, and is scared to death of a plastic water bottle. Silly puppies!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:56 am 
Active Forum Member

I totally support your need for a new hair dryer. :wink

Mine is an older Conair, but they seem to have several with at least 2 speeds and 3 heat settings. Jennie likes both speeds (she tries to bite the air with the higher speed) and I use the lowest heat setting for her. Works great!

Let us know how it goes for Sperry.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:24 am 
Active Forum Member

Random question...do you tip your groomer like you do a hair stylist?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:44 am 
Active Forum Member

I definitely tip my groomer.

Daisy 8/6/2002-8/5/2011
Lacy 8/6/2002-9/15/2011
Always in my heart.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:28 pm 
Forum Legend

SusanT wrote:
I guess I'm really lucky that Jennie's breeder is also my groomer. We live in the same town and she is much less expensive than anywhere else in town. She groomed Jennie the day that I picked her up at 8 weeks so Jennie was familiar with the clippers and blow dryer from the start.

In fact, she exposed all the puppies to clippers (with the blade removed), blow dryer (a nice quiet one), vacuum cleaner (a nice noisy one) and as many other household noises as she could (door bell, toilet flushes, kitchen fan, etc). She made me promise to continue to use the blow dryer on Jennie at least once a week and to handle her head, tail and feet every day. Jennie is completely comfortable being groomed and at the vets as well.

I now have a 6 month old who loves the vacuum cleaner (she chases the wand, barking and butt-wiggling for all her worth) and the blow dryer. I have to bring her into the bathroom when I do my hair or listen to her cry outside the door. We walk every day and often she comes home with wet, dirty feet. She makes a beeline for the bathtub and gets her feet rinsed with the handheld shower. Then she gets them blown dry. It's a party!

So.... based on my experience, the sooner the better once her vaccinations are all done. Then if you keep up the exposure between sessions, Sperry will get used to it and it will be less stressful for you both.

I'm coming to pupnap Jennie. What a fabulous puppy you have. You've definitely done all of the right things to expose her to life in a household. Some day I'm gonna get a little buffy girl, too.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:00 pm 
Active Forum Member

I'll be on the look out for you Tina! I wish I could take credit but I think I was really lucky to get such a fun but mellow puppy to begin with. :hp

As for the tipping question... I do tip, but not usually cash. I have brought homemade cookies (my groomer home schools three kids under the age of 10) or banana bread or a gift card to a local restaurant so she and her husband could have a night out. It may be cheaper to just give money but I have fun thinking of things that she might not have time to do for herself.

She raises two litters of puppies of her own each year and helps another local breeder (who is getting older) with delivering her puppies as well. Then she home schools, grooms and is a regular mom. I don't know how she does it!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:50 am 
Active Forum Member

Thanks everyone for your help and advice! :nw Here are some pictures of my handsome boy. The groomer didn't take a whole lot off, just a trim, but he looks nice and cleaned up. He had a good report, but did say that Sperry was not too fond of the clippers. Just like I said my stubborn boy would! We are going to practice that. I had the vacuum out over the weekend and he mostly just stared at it. It'll be a work in progress for sure!

Attachments:
Sperry 1.jpg
Sperry 1.jpg [ 51.07 KiB | Viewed 3381 times ]
Sperry 2.png
Sperry 2.png [ 140.46 KiB | Viewed 3381 times ]
Sperry 3.png
Sperry 3.png [ 125.52 KiB | Viewed 3381 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:47 pm 
Forum Legend

Sperry, you look like a big boy with your haircut! Very handsome, indeed.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:12 pm 
Forum Legend

She did a good job. He's a handsome little guy. I love those buffs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:11 am 
Active Forum Member

Thanks Debbie and Tina. All of a sudden he looks very mature! I almost wish he could stay this size forever! He is 11 lbs and growing now. I can't wait to see what he grows to be. His mom was bigger than his dad. My favorite part about him growing up is that he will snug on the couch for bits at a time. I better get his coat out as we have snow heading our way in NE and I don't want to mess his 'do up before Thanksgiving!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:10 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

He looks great! I do get tips quite often, but I kind of wish someone would tip me cookies or banana bread..... :tg

Spaniels are the best dogs!!