An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Nail Grinders
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:12 pm 
Active Forum Member

Jude and Wrigley dont like their nails to be cute. Jude (our puppy) is more friendly to nail trimming than Wrigley. Wrigley hates it. I was looking at nail grinders and with such a wide selection I figured I would ask all of you. Money is not at issue and I refuse to use that cheap Pedi-paws thing. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Nail Grinders
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:48 pm 
Forum Legend

My girls won't tolerate grinding. I'm not a fan either. Clipping is quicker and works best for us

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:59 am 
Active Forum Member

I have been using for the last 3 years on Snicky the "cheap pedi paw thing" I did it just to see, and to help me get my confidence back after cutting into the quick on my previous cocker, after doing it for 13 years. That cocker never forgave me for that and I had to take her to the vet the last couple of years of her life to have her nails done,and it took several people to hold her down to get it done. Snicky loves her nails getting ground down and she sits there just enjoying the attention she gets,and yes it takes a little longer to do,due to the lack of power in the pedi paw, but at least I'm not creating a lot of heat in her nails.
If I were to buy a more professional unit, I would probably get an Andies or a Dremel. Yes, Dremel also makes a pet version one, and I really don't think it is any different than the rechargeable one that they sell in hardware.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:19 am 
Active Forum Member

I use the cordless rechargeable Dremel and I love it. I hated using clippers because with Gunnar's black nails I could never be sure I wasn't going to clip too short. :OMY With the Dremel I can grind a little, check the nail end, grind a little more and I don't get those butterflies in my stomach wondering if I'm going to hurt my boy. The little sandpaper disks are easily found at the big box hardware stores for very cheap too.

Felines Lilly and Bella

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:27 pm 
Active Forum Member

I've always wanted a professional grinder but I'm too afraid if I use one I'll end up getting the hair caught on it as you have to be really careful not to do that. I do have the pedipaws but there isn't much power to it. So I pretty much clip the nails and just use the pedipaws to smooth the nail out so it isn't so sharp.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:25 pm 
Active Forum Member

I have just started using the dremel on my girls and it is going so well. One little trick I do is to use a white cotton stocking, poked a few holes in it with a knitting needle so I could slide their nails through (one at a time while I trim) and that way there is no fear of getting their hair caught. Works slick!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:05 am 
Forum Legend

I have the two speed Andis and I love it.

Ethan is not a fan of having his nails clipped and fights me the entire time. With the grinder, he will just lay on the ottoman between my legs and is not phased one bit. I can just do it when I am watching tv. Saves a lot of time and wasted energy for both of us :th-up

Rocky (7/18/02), Onyx (10/2/10), Misty (8/15/11), and Ethan (10/20/11)
Weesister (7/18/02-7/22/10) and Killington (10/85-2/02)waiting at the bridge

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:13 am 
Active Forum Member

MargeP wrote:
I have just started using the dremel on my girls and it is going so well. One little trick I do is to use a white cotton stocking, poked a few holes in it with a knitting needle so I could slide their nails through (one at a time while I trim) and that way there is no fear of getting their hair caught. Works slick!!!!!

I know this is a old post but Marge what a great idea! Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:33 pm 
Active Forum Member

MargeP wrote:

We use a Dremel MiniMite with 2 speeds. We bought it 13 years ago for our Frenchie and it still runs like a champ. I've know people who used pantyhose on dogs with coated feet - the hose goes over the entire foot with each nail poked through at the same time. What just occurred to me is that a scrap of medium weight fabric with a "button hole" could make for a simple and durable hair guard...

There are some great tutorials out there on using a dremel on dog nails. One of my favorites is this one:
http://www.doberdawn.com/doberdawn/dremel.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:57 am 
Forum Legend

On a lark, I just the Oster Gentle Paws nail grinder yesterday, even though Gromit is actually not too bad about getting her nails clipped. I leave a bowl of treats at the end of the table, and every time I clip a nail I give her lots of praise and a treat. So she's so focused on that bowl of treats that she's a pretty good sport about getting them clipped. I, on the other hand, am very nervous. Her nails are black, her fur is black, and I'm so afraid I'm going to cut into the quick that I don't trim her nails nearly as often as I should. I didn't expect much success with the nail grinder, but was pleasantly surprised. It's really very quiet on the low speed, and she actually laid down while I was doing her front paws. I like the fact that it has holes that you stick the nail into, which limits how far down you can file and also helps prevent the hair from getting tangled.

Here's the one I purchased: http://www.amazon.com/Oster-Gentle-Paws ... B002JM0DOA