The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Tried 7FC blade for first time (pics)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:51 pm 
Forum Legend

I finaly bought a 7FC clipper blade (Thank you Darra!) and I tried it Thursday evening. Charlie missed his last grooming appointment because I had to travel at the last minute. I didn't think I could get another appointment for him until end of September so I decided to try to do his back myself.

For my first time, I think I didn't do too bad :dk . I just clipped from the top of the neck down trying to follow the skirt line as good as I could... Should I have clipped the skirt line lower??? Suggestions are welcome, I'm new at this and could use any help I can get.

Please keep in mind I did not trim his face and the front of his neck due to recent surgery and hotspot. That's why he still has long hair on his neck etc. I only did his back to clean him up a bit.

Attachments:
2012-08-19 002 resized.jpg
2012-08-19 002 resized.jpg [ 97.24 KiB | Viewed 1835 times ]
2012-08-19 008 resized.jpg
2012-08-19 008 resized.jpg [ 106.07 KiB | Viewed 1835 times ]

Post subject: Re: Tried 7FC blade for first time (pics)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:05 pm 
Active Forum Member

You did a great job! :th-up It's hard to do that color coat without getting clipper lines,and from the picture I don't see any.When I had my red and white patri I always clipped her back,I liked seeing all her ticking. When his neck is ready to be groomed take him into the groomer and let her get the lines set and then you can just follow that. So how is Charlie doing now? He looks like he's pretty much back to normal.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:16 pm 
Forum Legend

Vicky:

I think he looks Great! If that's your first time, you are an excellent student. I, too, tried the 7FC on Emma and I like it for her, too.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:51 pm 
Forum Legend

:Clap I'm glad I didn't mess it up the first time I tried it. It would have been disappointing.

I used to be a hairstylist and I know blonde hair/fur is the hardest to cut because you can see blade or sisor marks. That's why I kept clipping over and over until I couldn't see any lines or marks. Then I brushed all the fur off and clipped again. Still lots to learn but it's a lot better than before.

Yes, Charlie is going much better. He only has a few days left of antibiotics left but I think he's completely back to normal. Except the obsession with his ear....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:30 am 
Active Forum Member

Though I am no professional, I think you did great!! Charlie is such a pretty boy!

I can't get over how light his hair looks in that picture! :love

Mommy to:
Walker -Buff - Born 2/22/09 and
Ranger - R&W - Born 9/19/09

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:43 am 
Forum Legend

Kaci, it's funny you noticed that. That's the first thing my parents said when they saw him last month. Since I see him everyday, I didn't see a big difference until I looked at "younger" pictures... I wonder if it's all the sun we had this summer, he spent quite a bit of time outside...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:57 am 
Forum Legend

I think you did a great job, Vicky!

I'd just try to clean up a little of the hair towards his shoulders, if that isn't too close to the hot spot/area that you are trying to avoid.

You have made a great start in grooming!

Rocky (7/18/02), Onyx (10/2/10), Misty (8/15/11), and Ethan (10/20/11)
Weesister (7/18/02-7/22/10) and Killington (10/85-2/02)waiting at the bridge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:59 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Charlie is one handsome boy with a great looking hair cut. With mason no matter how he's groomed he still has fly away hair and looks like he stuck his tongue in a light socket.
Great job :th-up

TUCKER Black Cocker 10-15-99 to 01-06-2010 We Miss you big boy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:39 pm 
Forum Legend

He looks great! What a handsome guy :love His back blends so nicely into his skirt, I can't believe this was your first time. :th-up
I'm glad you like the blade-hope you get lots more great results with it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:22 am 
Forum Legend

Thank you for your encouraging words everyone!

Our groomer called me last Friday to let me know they had a cancellation for this morning (yes, the morning after I shaved Charlie's back). So I just dropped him off this morning. He was overdue for a good bath and a blow dry. Plus, he had some mats on his chest that I had no idea how to get rid of. I also don't have the combs I need to trim his legs yet.

I will continue grooming him at home in between appointments because I like him with his back and face all cleaned up but I will keep taking every couple of months for maintenance.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:46 am 
Forum Legend

That's what I used to do, too. But as I got more comfortable with grooming Gromit myself, I found myself taking her to the groomer less. Then, once I lost my job, it became necessary for me to do all her grooming. And I must admit, I like it when people compliment on how nice she looks, and I can respond, "Thank you, I groom her myself"!

Here's a product that I have for help in removing mats:
http://www.petedge.com/product/Master-G ... /55311.uts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:06 am 
Forum Legend

Well look at that! Thanks Darra, I might just buy that tool!

If Charlie has his grooming appointment every 8 weeks, we have no matting issues. But if we go more than 10 weeks without taking him to the groomer, it starts on his chest and I can't brush or comb them out. Maybe this tool would help...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:35 am 
He looks awesome! You did a perfect job.

Ugh mat splitters. Don't recommend them. Dangerous, rip and cut the hair, it's basically a comb with razor blades. It will get the mat out but it's mostly because it just cuts it apart. I understand they work for people, I just prefer not to use them for safety reasons. I've seen groomers slice dogs open with them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:47 am 
Forum Legend

Thanks Julie :bg , I don't think I did a perfect job but I'm still pretty proud of myself for my first time grooming his back. I knew clipping the hair was not a big deal but I was afraid to mess up the skirt line and make it very choppy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:52 pm 
Active Forum Member

Vicky, You really did do a great job on Charlie. You have an advantage over most of us since you were a hairstylist, and you are familar with clippers,thinning shears and scissors. Like Darra, I use to clip up my first cocker in between visits to the groomer. I was not to good at it but she looked decent between visits.Then the groomer told me she was moving and it was not fiesable to travel that far,so she offered to teach me. Best thing that ever happened. It was easy doing the parti ,didnt see any clipper marks, then I got Snicky and I didn't know about the buff color until I clipped her back,and I hated it. I clipped her a second time and still hated it. Checking out the forum,I found out about carding the coat,but I didn't know how. So I took her to a groomer and had her carded, and I liked it. A few months later she was a puff ball again, and I clipped her a third time, and all I saw was clipper marks.Decided to grow it out, and learned to card her myself. Is she perfect, no.... I still have problem areas, most people don't know the difference anyways, only a good groomer would be able to tell. I'm still struggling with her crown,but I am getting there,with the help of Julie's video. We, ourselves are, our own worst critics. So now that Charlie has been to the groomers,you have fresh new lines to follow, if you do a maintence trim every 2 or 3 weeks you should be able to keep him up youself.

v

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:58 pm 
Forum Legend

:luv

:10 :10 :10

I think this is the first time he's ever looked blond in a picture. Handsome boy! You did an awesome job! I love that length! :th-up

I never use mat splitters either... I bought one years ago but it's pretty scary looking and I've never used it on Chessie. For really bad mats I usually saturate them with CH conditioner.. let them sit for at least 10-15 minutes and then just take my time working them out with a brush and comb. It takes time and patience but they do come out .. bit by bit.

Chesapeake OA, OAJ (CGC)
4/20/10

Competing in Excellent Agility ...
JWW ~ 1 of 3 Q's
STD ~ 1 of 3 Q's

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:14 pm 
Vicky & Charlie wrote:
Thanks Julie :bg , I don't think I did a perfect job but I'm still pretty proud of myself for my first time grooming his back. I knew clipping the hair was not a big deal but I was afraid to mess up the skirt line and make it very choppy.

IDK it looks pretty perfect to me. I mean yes there is the neck thing but that's cause he has a boo boo. The back looks really good, or my eyes aren't working right.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:28 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

He looks awesome! Great job!

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:50 pm 
Forum Legend

Julie Hydro wrote:
Ugh mat splitters. Don't recommend them. Dangerous, rip and cut the hair, it's basically a comb with razor blades. It will get the mat out but it's mostly because it just cuts it apart. I understand they work for people, I just prefer not to use them for safety reasons. I've seen groomers slice dogs open with them.

Ugh is right!! I sliced my thumb open with one of those nasty things!! We were cleaning up a filthy totally matted dog, straight from the shelter. Somebody handed me a mat splitter, I took a couple of swipes, then started to use my thumb to flick the hair filth off the tool-- sliced my thumb horribly!! I was really afraid I'd have a terrible infection from the filth, but it bleed so long and hard, I guess it washed it all out. Needless to say, I've never touched one since then.

Vickie, I too think you did a really nice job on Charlie. He is such a handsome guy. And I'm so happy he's feeling good again.

Edited to add: my Cricket gets small mats on her chest, Feather did too. I use the 7F, with the grain of the coat, to shave the mats off. Julie may have a different idea, but that's always worked for me.

Maggie Mae, home September 1, 2014

---------------------------------------
Feather: March 23, 1994 - November 17, 2011
17 years and 8 months of Love

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:09 am 
Forum Legend

Lisa R wrote:
I think this is the first time he's ever looked blond in a picture. Handsome boy! You did an awesome job! I love that length! :th-up

Isn't it weird that his coat changed colour like that! My parents saw him last month and that's the first thing my mom said. She asked if he was lighter because he was old :tg :tg :tg I told her Charlie is only 3 years old and he's not old! But until I looked at older pictures of him, I didn't realize how light his coat has become... Has this happened to anyone else?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:41 am 
Forum Legend

Wow, I'm actually pretty surprised by the horror stories about the mat splitters. The one that I have is really not all that different looking than my coat king, and the part that's sharp is in the deep part of the curve. Here are a couple of pictures of the one I have, next to my coat king. I guess if I pushed my finger down into the curved section I could get cut, but then if I pushed my finger along a pair of scissors I'd get cut, too. :dk I know there are different types out on the market, so maybe some of them are like razors. And I'm sure that people who keep their dogs in show coats would not want to cut apart mats, but for the occasions that I've had to use it it has worked great for me and I really have little fear of either cutting my dog or myself.
I wouldn't recommend something that I thought was dangerous.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:36 am 
Forum Legend

I use conditioner and a slicker...refuse to use a splitter. They just cause more mats..so whats the use?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:12 pm 
Active Forum Member
 YIM  Profile

My red Cocker Shasta lightened as she aged too. I think that's pretty typical for them.

My mat splitter has blades about 2" long. It works well but I'm always very careful with it.

Forever Loved and Never Forgotten:
Shasta, my beautiful redhead Cocker 8-15-1992 to 3-15-2007
My kitties: Willow, Tonga & Mr. Paisley all lost in 2012 due to cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:36 am 
Forum Legend

First - Charlie looks great and is a handsome boy.

About mats - Funny this should come up. Our groomer does not appreciate being handed a dog with mats.
He is reasonable, but if there are too many he scolds and reminds us to do our job. Arlo sees the groomer weekly.
So, just last night we had to remove a few mats from Arlo.

We remove our mats with a slicker brush. (My persian cat groomer showed me how to do it). It takes a very long time (if your mat is bad). I go very slowly and gently so that Arlo doesn't mind.

I found this video which is decent. She mentions the harder and softer slicker brush and the scissors you can use. We don't do that - we just suffer however long it takes to remove with the slicker brush so that the least amount of hair is removed. You'll notice in the video the way she brushes the chest area - from the bottom up. We don't go so fast with mat - but we brush coming from all directions until the mat gets smaller and smaller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pxaZbUwOgM

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:42 pm 
Darra wrote:
Wow, I'm actually pretty surprised by the horror stories about the mat splitters. The one that I have is really not all that different looking than my coat king, and the part that's sharp is in the deep part of the curve. Here are a couple of pictures of the one I have, next to my coat king. I guess if I pushed my finger down into the curved section I could get cut, but then if I pushed my finger along a pair of scissors I'd get cut, too. :dk I know there are different types out on the market, so maybe some of them are like razors. And I'm sure that people who keep their dogs in show coats would not want to cut apart mats, but for the occasions that I've had to use it it has worked great for me and I really have little fear of either cutting my dog or myself.
I wouldn't recommend something that I thought was dangerous.

http://groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_s ... ng_safely/

The thing is that you just never know when something will happen. They are not at all like the coat king despite looking similar. I know scissors are dangerous too and obviously we have to use them, but when you are getting so close to the skin with these things it's a lot more likely for a mistake to happen.