An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: For Indy, the beautiful Boxer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:44 pm 
Active Forum Member

Some of you may remember my Jennie's best boyfriend, Indy. He is a beautiful Boxer and just loves her. We stop at their front fence every time we walk past and he bounds around the corner to see her.

I hadn't seen him in more than a week so was shocked to learn that he had been attacked by a pack of 5 Pomeranians that live behind him. They are all less than 1/3 his size, but their number was evidently too much for him. His owner found him down in the back yard, bloodied and unable to stand. Tim took him to the emergency vet and they said recommend euthanasia, but Tim wants to give him a chance. He stayed home with him for the first few days and now his great friend has flown in from out of state to stay with Indy while Tim goes back to work. The police and animal control have been involved and the Pom's owners have promised to pay for Indy's care.

My heart broke when I saw Indy this past weekend. He's lost a lot of weight and still cannot stand on either his front or back right legs. His left legs seem to be fine. His right front foot turns under so he is standing on the top of his paw when they hold him up to get him to exercise his good leg muscles. In my experience, that may mean his radial nerve is damaged, which will be a long recovery if it is even possible. Still, he tried to get up to come to the fence to see his little girlfriend Jennie. We are stopping by every day because they tell me she is the only thing he has shown any interest in since the attack.

If you can include Indy and Tim in your prayers, I will be very grateful. They need all the positive thoughts they can get.

Here's Indy and Jennie last November...

Attachments:
IMG_20141122_111027_955 (525x700).jpg
IMG_20141122_111027_955 (525x700).jpg [ 322.52 KiB | Viewed 4237 times ]

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Post subject: Re: For Indy, the beautiful Boxer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:33 pm 
Forum Legend

I cannot believe this :cry Pomeranians????

I really hope he gets better and he can enjoy life again - as long it takes and Jennie has her buddy back. Thank goodness the neighbors are paying for his care.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:44 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thanks to all who have sent a positive thought or prayer for Indy... they seem to be working! :YAY

I stopped by today with Jennie and Tim invited us to come in the yard. Indy actually tried several times to stand up and made it a couple of times. His balance is shaky and his front right foot turns under, but just the fact that he was able to get his legs underneath him and stand for a few seconds is a major improvement over last Sunday.Tim said he had tried to stand on his own once or twice earlier today, but never with as much determination as when he was trying to reach Jennie. He also looked much better, much more like himself. I'm so relieved that he is showing progress and seems interested again. He lost a total of 19 pounds, but has started eating better so should put a bit back on.

I'm working to make a soft sling that can go around his midsection and allow Tim and his friend Rex to support Indy as he tries to stand and walk. Wish me luck! If it works, I'll post a picture.

Keep those positive thoughts coming!

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:02 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Oh how awful, I am glad to hear Indy is doing better. Maybe now that he is doing better more visits would help him. Sending good thoughts for Indy.

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:51 pm 
Forum Legend

Oh my gosh, what a horrible story. I cannot believe that Poms would do that, but I guess the pack mentality took over. I really hope Indy makes a full recovery and that they are having regular vet visits to assess and mitigate any damage to his front foot. I just know that Jennie will make him feel better.

If you have any problem making the sling, you can also buy them in most of the larger pet companies. I've also heard of people using the slings that are sold for firewood since they are essentially the same (though I would check to be sure the material isn't too harsh).

Please keep us posted on this beautiful dog.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:07 pm 
Active Forum Member

I took my handmade sling over this morning and it turned out to be too long, so brought it home, made modifications and took it back about noon. Then when I took my usual walk with Jennie about 4 we stopped by and Tim had Indy in the sling in the front yard. He said it was working great and that Indy was able to stand on his own longer than he had before. Tim is working to get him stable and then let him balance himself, but he tightens up the sling to keep him from falling over. One added bonus is that Tim's friend Rex has a bad back and he said he can use the sling without his back hurting. :th-up They were using a large harness before and it was hard on the helpers. I made the sling from some padded upholstery fabric that was left over from a couch refinishing project, two soft belts and a wooden closet rod, so it cost nothing but my time. Ironically, the fabric is black and the belts were white and tan, so it ended up matching Indy's coloring. Kismet!

I'm really glad that it seems to be helping. Indy is seeing his vet about every three days at this point, so we'll hope he is surprised and pleased at his progress.

Jennie was really cute with him today. She stood up on her hind legs, put one foot on his forehead and gave him a kiss on the nose. He slopped her right back. :bg He gets really excited when he sees her and tries so hard to walk to her. Tim is going to ask his vet about a splint or brace that will help his front foot not roll over. He found several online but think it would be better to get the vet to fit it and make sure it helps more than hurts.

Anyway, thank you everyone for sending positive thoughts for Indy. He is one special guy!

There are a total of 6 Poms that belong to this family but evidently only 5 were involved in the attack. They got Indy down on his left side, so his right legs and head were bitten pretty extensively. He has lots of puncture wounds on his legs and tears on his ears and face. All are healing and he is on antibiotics just in case. He is lucky not to have any damage to his eyes. The Poms have been a nuisance for at least a year, getting out of their yard and roaming the neighborhood. They even went inside another neighbors home. But they've never attacked anything until now. The owners appear to be taking this seriously and have replaced sections of their fence. Animal Control has been involved in helping them plan and implement improvements to secure the dogs. Better late than never?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:31 am 
Forum Legend

Thank you for the update. I'm glad the owners are taking this seriously. I am still shaking my head that Poms would attack. They must be horribly unsocialized and/or have had absolutely no training or correction in the past. Continued prayers for Indy, and thank you for making him a sling. I love it that he gets excited to see Jennie!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:31 am 
Active Forum Member

Things continue to progress for Indy. He has rediscovered sitting and is able to roll his front paw to the correct position while doing that. Then he can stand up and have his foot correct. Unfortunately, as soon as he tries to walk, it rolls back over. His vet does not want to use a splint on it, as he thinks he's better off exercising the muscles and tendons to get it in the right position.

He is doing so much better emotionally now then he was when I first saw him. He seemed totally depressed then, and now he is interested in everything and everyone who passes his yard. They lay out a large sleeping bag in the yard on top of a tarp, so he has good footing for getting up and he can burrow into it when he gets cold. The weather has been pretty good, but the highs are in the low 60's now so he does get cold in the mornings. Indy lost 19 pounds in the first two weeks after the attack. You can feel every rib and vertebrae. He's eating good now and getting daily vitamins so we'll hope to see him gain some nice muscle as he moves around more.

Nurse Jennie's visits continue to be a highlight of his day. We have been walking over in the early afternoon and spending about a half hour with him. Tim tells me that he will sleep for a hour after we leave. Such a relief to see him looking so much better. Everyone agrees that a total recovery is now looking good, which is quite a change from just a week and a half ago.

Here's a picture I took on Tuesday.

Attachment:
Indy up (587x436).jpg
Indy up (587x436).jpg [ 99.22 KiB | Viewed 4109 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:30 am 
Forum Legend

Aww, look at him. He's cute! cici's paw used to bend like that during her first serious IVDD issue. Vet said it was a neurological deficit and with plenty of rest, it would heal. It sure did! She's running around now.

I hope the same is true for Indy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:02 pm 
Forum Legend

Thank you for posting a picture, Susan! He's a stunningly beautiful dog. I hope that there is NO possible way for those dogs to get into the yard when Indy is out there. I can't imagine him surviving another attack like that. Does the vet think he is suffering from IVDD, given that his foot is so flexed? Or it is something else related to his injuries? I really hope he starts to regain his weight and can eventually stand normally. Nurse Jennie really has a calling.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:00 pm 
Active Forum Member

His vet said a couple of the puncture wounds on the inside of the upper front leg are in the area where the Radial nerve passes close to the surface. This nerve carries the message from the brain to the leg and foot to extend the leg and flex the foot to walk. He thinks the nerve may have been nicked or swelling in the area may be interfering with it and that is why Indy can't flex it on his own yet. He doesn't think it is severed because he can stand with his foot extended and maintain his balance. It just rolls under when he lifts it and tries to take a step.

The Pom's owners have done some things on their side to prevent the dogs from getting out, but Tim has also installed a barricade on his side of the fence, just in case.

Indy did really good today when we came by on our walk. He got up and slowly came to the fence, then leaned on it while Jennie stuck her nose through the chain link to get a sloppy kiss. Tim's friend Rex has been coaxing him around the yard with yummy treats, so he is getting a lot of exercise and is moving better every day. :YAY

Oh, by the way, did I mention that his full name is Indiana Bones? :gig

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:08 pm 
Forum Legend

How horrible!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:29 am 
Forum Legend

How is Indy now? :sml

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:45 am 
Active Forum Member

Thanks for asking! He is doing really good. He's been using a brace on his front foot that supports the 'wrist' area and leaves his foot free. He is loving being able to move around better and when he gets excited he jumps like a bucking bronco! The vet isn't sure that he will get complete recovery so he may need to wear the brace long term. He tolerates it very well but I'm still hoping at some point he will be able to walk and run without it. It's been almost 8 weeks since the attack, so there is still plenty of time for the nerve damage to heal. My brother had a pinched nerve and his surgeon told him that nerves heal at a rate of about 1" per week, so if the injury is in Indy's upper leg, I figure there is about 12" from there to the wrist area.

Our weather has turned colder and wetter, so we don't see him outside as often as we would like. He has a very short Boxer coat and gets cold easily. I used a raincoat that I have for Jennie to make a pattern and then enlarged it to Indy-size. I made him a coat with two layers of polar fleece and a stand up collar so he can be outside without getting too cold. I did it as a surprise for his owner and included a little Seahawks fleece on the collar. Tim loves the look and Indy loves the warmth. I'll try to take a picture the next time I see him out with it on.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:35 pm 
Forum Legend

How ingenious and wonderful of you to make him a coat! So glad to hear he is doing better. :th-up What a story.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:44 pm 
Forum Legend

Susan: What a thoughtful thing to do for Indy! I'm sure it is very appreciated. Can you please be MY neighbor? :gig

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:21 pm 
Active Forum Member

I would love to be your neighbor! Can you imagine what kind of trouble our two naughty little girls could get into?

Then again... :bg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:07 pm 
Forum Legend

Susan:

How's Indy? I hope this Thanksgiving week finds him very well and continuing to improve.

Tina

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:23 pm 
Active Forum Member

He is doing really good. I keep hoping to catch him outside in his coat for a picture, but this past week or so we have only seen him outside once. But... it was a big deal because he was outside on his own and without any brace. I talked to his neighbor and she said he had graduated to walking without it and had started using the doggie door again to let himself outside. They aren't leaving it open unless someone is home, so he is inside until Tim's son gets home from school. Isn't that great?

His foot still turns over if he gets going too fast, but he does great if he is moving at a walk. He has put back on a little weight, but still looks about 10 pounds light to me.

Thanks everyone for keeping him in your thoughts and prayers. When I think back to how sad he was the first time I saw him after the attack, I can't believe how much progress he has made. Tim was just a few days away from having to put him down because there was no one to care for him while Tim went back to work. If not for his good friend Rex being willing to come up to Washington from Oklahoma to help, Indy might not be here with us. I am so impressed with such an act of selflessness and generosity.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:28 pm 
Forum Legend

Oh Susan I am so glad he is doing well. I have been checking the posts but has not been able to log in for some computer reason. I was going to mention that in those cases swimming helps a lot in the recovery of lower extremity injuries. They are so bless to have you as a neighbor. Keep us update.

Mom to dear Holly AKA Holly Caramel Candy 10/99-02/13 who went to meet Monchi, Sasha 1 and 2, in the Rainbow Bridge.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:35 pm 
Active Forum Member

I'm sorry to report that Indy passed away last Wednesday. Jennie and I had visited him on Tuesday afternoon and he seemed his usual, lovable, goofball self. His owner Tim stopped by today to let me know that Indy woke him up barking at about 4 AM Wednesday morning. Indy seemed in distress and when Tim petted him, his abdomen was as hard as a rock. He looked that up online and started treating him for bloat, but he died about 15 minutes later.

I've never had any experience with bloat, but evidently it can cause death very quickly and they didn't have enough warning to get Indy to the emergency vet clinic. Poor guy... just when he seemed to be really back to normal. :cry

This is especially hard for me to handle right now, because my mom passed away on December 26th. Too much bad news all at once. Miss Jennie has been very lovey dovey tonight... I think she knows her mom is sad.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:21 am 
Forum Legend

:sad This is just so awful to hear. No words.

I am so sorry to hear about your mom, too.

I am sure Jennie will miss her buddy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:26 am 
Forum Legend

Susan: My heart is broken for you. To lose Indy after nursing him back from such a horrible situation is just tragic, and, having lost my own mom many years ago, I know how painful that is for you.

One fortunate thing about having a small dog is that they aren't really prone to bloat. It affects the deeper-chested dogs like Indy.

Please know that I will keep you in my prayers for peace and healing on both losses. Jennie will be just the ticket for those days when you feel so sad.

Take care.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:01 pm 
Forum Legend

Susan, I'm so sorry to hear about Indy and your Mom. I too lost my mom almost four years ago. It is something you just never get over. You are in my prayers.

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:02 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

My heart is also broken hearing this news, after what he went thru. Please express our condolences to Tim. Although not a cocker Indy was part of our Zim family after your posts. I am also very sorry to hear about your mom.

Although bloat is very rare in cockers it can happen if a cocker eats real fast gulping air with their food. I found this out when Brady was sick and his tummy got very large, rushed him to the ER vet who said he was filled with gas/air, I asked the vet about bloat and that is what he told me. He did recover from that gas episode the next day, but I never thought about bloat as a worry for cockers.

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy