An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: for my broken ankle
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:13 pm 
Forum Legend

I would appreciate some prayes please. I have brokwn my ankle and hopefully will not need surgery. Its been a week now and still very difficult. I can not get around to do much so I depend on my hubby and daughter to take Zoey out. She isnt getting much exercise either. I try not to complaine but she needs to burn off some energy. Otherwise Zoey has been so sweet she follows me up and down the stairs and visits me frequently when I am resting on the couch.

Riley and Grayson my "skin kids"
Princess Bambi the bunny
Sam and Carly the hermit crabs

Post subject: Re: for my broken ankle
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:02 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi Becky,

I am so sorry that you broke your ankle! In me, you have an expert in broken ankles, as I have broken my right ankle three times during the course of my life. :bang

I do have a little advice for you :

When you get your surgery answer see if you can get a walking cast. That would make your life much easier.

I never needed surgery and I have had to use both types of casts. With a walking cast..you can pretty much go about your business as usual. With a non-walking cast and using crutches, I would wear an apron with front pockets. That way I could use my crutches and still carry a sandwich and a soda. Since I have a single story home, I also (at times) rented a wheelchair and would wheel my way all around the house.

To take a shower, I would put my leg in a large garbage bag and secure the top so it won't leak. You could even put a waterproof plastic chair in the shower. I did not have a waterproof chair, but I did have a little inexpensive wood chair. I would cover it with a plastic bag as well. That way only the feet got wet.

I sure hope that you won't need surgery! Take care and if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Dawn :paw

JOINED ZIM FORUM 5/15/08~4:15pm
Chloie Pearl~Babybutt~Tri~2/16/08
Muraco Misun~Red/Wht~4/13/11
Moonbeam~Ms.Moonlight~Buff~7/24/00~8/14/11
Persalina~Big Bright Eyes~Buff~10/92~5/12/08
Willamina~1981/1996

JUSTICE FOR OREO: http://www.justice4oreo.net/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:41 am 
Forum Legend

Thanks Dawn! I have never broken anything (a sprained ankle as a kid) so this is all new to me. I go back on the 4 and hope everything is going as it should. I have been using my daughter"s little stool for showers and as you said wrapping my cast in a garbadge bag with a towel wrapped around my thigh to catch any drips that may run down my leg into my cast. This is hard for me because as mom I am used to doing for others not having to ask for help with the simple things like getting a drink of water.
Thanks
Becky

Princess Bambi the bunny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:12 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Sorry to hear of your ankle, I am sure it does feel better with a parti colored blanket on your lap. Hope it heals soon. Check out these cast protectors-hubby had hand surgery and ortho md recommended it. I can say they are very sturdy and will outlast the cast and is much better than a garbage bag. Ortho's should sell them! Amazon has lots of different ones, just read the reviews to see which one would work best for you.

http://www.amazon.com/Brownmed-SEAL-TIG ... +protector

http://www.amazon.com/Brownmed-SEAL-TIG ... tector+leg

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:27 pm 
Forum Legend

Oh, I pray that you don't need surgery. :OMY I broke mine 3 years ago, and had to have surgery and a plate with 10 screws inserted to hold the bone together. I also had a lot of soft tissue damage, torn ligaments, etc., which added to the mess. I was not allowed to put ANY weight on it for 8 weeks, which meant I had a walker and had to literally hop from room to room. Hopping may be fun and easy for kids, but for a 50-something, it's exhausting. I also had to keep the foot elevated, or it would throb. It still swells and aches if I'm on it too much, and predicts weather changes better than meteorologists! My husband wants me to have another surgery to have the metal plate removed, as he's heard that will resolve a lot of the pain, but I'm hesitant to have it cut open again after the last time! I wouldn't wish it on anyone, and I hope that you heal quickly and completely. :th-up

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:25 pm 
Forum Legend

Now, what did you go and do that for? :wnk I had major foot surgery three years ago and was in a cast up to my knee for 12 weeks. You can find these a medical stores and hospital supply shops for rent, or you can buy them on-line (which is what I did since I had to be on it for so long). It is a knee scooter and is very well built, has a basket. I had shoulder surgery 4 months prior so didn't have shoulder strength for crutches. http://www.medicalproductsonline.org/kn ... medium=ppc
This one is very expensive, shop around and I would bet you will find one for under $200. I think I paid $170 or so and rental was $100 a month.
I won't give decent advice on the shower thing because that was the hardest for me to get done.
You are still in my prayers, Becky. Rock on...but get a scooter.

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:46 pm 
Forum Legend

Haha Terri I just got my knee walker. Night and day. It is so much easier to get around. Dare I say fun? Still something's are tough and I have to rest my ankle. No weight bearing allowed. This afternoon I was on the couch with my son,daughter,Zoey, and two cats. There was hardly room for anyone to breathe but we were happy! Thanks for all your tips. Keep em coming. I can use all the help I can get.
Thanks
Becky

Princess Bambi the bunny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:33 pm 
Forum Legend

Hey Becky, Here are some scooter tips/dos and don'ts (experience) :lol2
1. If you have a lot of carpeting, you may have an issue with the scooter stretching the carpet a bit. Not sure if anything can be done about that at this time.
2. Keep your speed down. No joke. Walls and corners have a tendance of jumping out in front of you.
3. Sometimes it is just easier to take your leg off of the scooter and turn around. I did use the scooter to go up and down stairs in and out of my house. I could lower the scooter a row, step down and keep going using the scooter as a brace . Hard to explain, but it worked.
4. Careful on sidewalks and pavement. The cracks and breaks will catch the front tires and flip the scooter.
I decided to keep my scooter as I was told I might be allergic to all of the metal now in my foot and may have to have it all taken out. Hoping to avoid that, ,but still have pain and swelling after three years. :dk
You will get used to it and enjoy it a lot. Watch critter toes.

Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:56 am 
Forum Legend

I wish someone would have recommended that scooter when I broke my ankle. It would have made life so much easier! As it was, I just sat in the recliner for most of the time as it was just to tiring to hop around on one leg and a walker!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:18 pm 
Forum Legend

So sorry for your broken bones! While I can't commiserate on an ankle, I broke both elbows last May and that was challenging, too. I'm glad Terry recommended a knee scooter for you and that it's helping. I hope you won't need surgery and that you start to heal quickly.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:53 am 
Forum Legend

Tina both elbows? at the same time? Geez here I am feeling sorry for myself and two elbows? My Aunt did some thing similar she broke and elbow and the opposite shoulder! Ouch! Darra I still spend most of the time sitting or laying down . The scooter makes things so much easier! I still have to keep my foot elevated or it swells so Its not perfect. Its really hurting today as yesterday my daughter got her top braces and we spent quite a bit of time riding in the car.(she is really hurting today too!) Oh well! I can only wait for the day I can walk normally again!
Sandy I checked out the cast covers. Thank you!

Princess Bambi the bunny

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:52 pm 
Forum Legend

beckyboo wrote:
Tina both elbows? at the same time? Geez here I am feeling sorry for myself and two elbows? My Aunt did some thing similar she broke and elbow and the opposite shoulder! Ouch! Darra I still spend most of the time sitting or laying down . The scooter makes things so much easier! I still have to keep my foot elevated or it swells so Its not perfect. Its really hurting today as yesterday my daughter got her top braces and we spent quite a bit of time riding in the car.(she is really hurting today too!) Oh well! I can only wait for the day I can walk normally again!
Sandy I checked out the cast covers. Thank you!

Yeah it was fun (NOT!!!). Try getting dressed without arms that work. You might want to ask your doctor about prescribing an Exogen unit. It's an external device that you wear for 20 minutes a day and it helps to heal bones. My doctor told me that "the literature didn't support it healing elbones (my word)" but I didn't care and thought it wouldn't hurt. Some insurance carriers will pay for them. I was lucky that I knew someone who had one because Exogen used to be a division of our company.

The swelling should subside within a couple of weeks. My hand looked like a lobster claw and I thought I would never wear a ring again, but it all went away. Patience is not my virtue and I had a hard time with it, but just hang in there. You're young and your bones should heal well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:32 pm 
Active Forum Member

:wv Becky, so sorry to hear about your ankle, but was pleased someone on the forum told you about the knee scooter. My hubby had major surgery on his right ankle. Has a steel rod that they pounded through the bottom of his foot into the leg bone (goes just below his knee). Was to lift the ankle out of the socket which was rubbing bone on bone. Of course he is 72 and it was an old injury that arthrities and continued injurys over and over that caused sever damage and needless to say sever pain. He has no motion side to side in that ankle now, but removing the pain was worth it. He was 3 months on a knee scooter and 3 more months in a boot. Your young and hopefully won't have that problem :sml Keep it elevated as much as you can. I have broke mine twice also and the second time I was in a cast for almost 6 months. At the most unhappy time too -- my second grandchild (my daughters) and I was there to help! :tg Big help, she called her dad and said to come get me, she couldn't care for two babies at once :lol2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:21 am 
Forum Legend

So I saw the ortho doc yesterday and some good news. I do not need surgery! In two weeks I will get a cast boot and can start putting weight on my foot! But it will be a month before I can get this cast off! I can not wait to take a long hot bath! Showering with a casted foot is no fun!
I can't wait to get rid of this knee walker either! I actually fell off in a parking lot! I landed on my rear so no more damage to my ankle but boy was I embarassed!!! I have to be very careful going over floors with dips or sidewalks or doorways. Keeping up with my son is not easy either trying to keep him occupied with a mom who can't do much playing.
My daughter got her bottom braces on and poor thing is in so much pain I gave in and let her stay home from school. I know it will hurt each time she goes and gets new wire and so on but she was so upset and hurting.

Princess Bambi the bunny

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:20 pm 
Forum Legend

Good news that you won't need surgery, but sorry to hear that you fell. That's why I posted a warning. I have know people who flipped over the top by hitting a ridge in the pavement or sidewalk. When I had my foot surgery and went back to the Ortho for a check, there was this woman that had a knee cart and she was whipping in and out and around. The volunteer lady said she was terrified of her and just waiting for a crash. Ugh.
Get rest when you can and enjoy what time you can to stay of of your foot. With two little ones, it doesn't sound like you have much time for that anyway. :wnk

Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:10 am 
Forum Legend

It really is good news that you don't need surgery. I was lucky in that sense, too. Keep in mind that your bone can take up to a year to heal, so you might have some residual pain for a couple of months. Ask the doctor for some strengthening exercises you can do at home - or ask for some PT if he'll prescribe it. The girl who rehabbed my elbows was awesome and I don't think I would be where I am today without her. You can have the doctors. They're so terrified of liability that they almost won't give you any good information - I'll take a good physical therapist any day.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:37 am 
Forum Legend

Well I am out of the cast(hooray!!) but I have a air walking boot for four weeks before I go back to ortho. The good news is I can take it off to sleep and shower, the bad news is my foot is still very sore with out the boot( I guess I expected to walk out in my own shoes not a boot).
I never noticed all the people with the knee walkers untill I had one myself. They are everywhere! I highly reccommend them if you ever break an ankle :neen
Zoey is still in need of a bath, I am debating taking her to be groomed but she gets so nervous and I hate to put her through that. My daughter has been brushing her but I don't feel she is up to the job of giving Zoey a bath. Zoey doesn't mind waiting. :gig
Becky

Princess Bambi the bunny

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:15 am 
Forum Legend

:Clap Glad you are out of the hard cast. Just when you really get used to it, then it goes. :lol2
Give yourself a few days. All of those muscles have been asleep and not used, so it will take a little time to rebuild the strength. I would use a crutch or cane to stabilize my balance until I felt my leg was strong enough. Those boots throw you off because they have a thicker sole unless you can find an opposite shoe to wear with an equally thick sole to stabilize your back.

Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:22 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

beckyboo wrote:
Well I am out of the cast(hooray!!) but I have a air walking boot for four weeks before I go back to ortho. The good news is I can take it off to sleep and shower, the bad news is my foot is still very sore with out the boot( I guess I expected to walk out in my own shoes not a boot).
I never noticed all the people with the knee walkers untill I had one myself. They are everywhere! I highly reccommend them if you ever break an ankle :neen
Zoey is still in need of a bath, I am debating taking her to be groomed but she gets so nervous and I hate to put her through that. My daughter has been brushing her but I don't feel she is up to the job of giving Zoey a bath. Zoey doesn't mind waiting. :gig
Becky

Oh, Becky, I didn't see this until now. I am so sorry that you've had to go through this, but glad to hear that you are on the mend. Could you possibly get a groomer to come to the house, or take Zoey to one where you can stay with her? How is Zoey with bathing? Luckily for me, Oliver thinks of a bath as a treat, so my husband has happily taken over giving him baths ... I still have to do the drying and brushing. I'm not sure if my husband doesn't grasp the concept, or doesn't want to.

Quality, two-sided bandanas for your treasured companion.
Made in the
USA under the direct supervision of
Genuine American Cocker Spaniels!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:19 am 
Forum Legend

Cindy
Zoey is good just very scared and usually poops in the tub or table but at home I give her breaks to potty and relax. I found a groomer I loved who grooms at her home but her family smokes and Zoey comes home reeking of smoke! I don't want her breathing all that in.
One groomer said she started to poop so she put Zoey back in the cage to go. Hello Crate trained dogs will not go in a crate/cage!! So once back on the table she pooped again! She is a nervous pooper and we feed her at night she still goes!
My husband offered to bathe her but control freak me doesn't quite trust him to do the job properly. :dk
and my grooming table is broken so I am not sure I can sit on the floor long enough to dry her. The screws that hold the legs on are stripped(and the "wood" is wearing away from the screws too)
Maybe this weekend I can take the two days to do small increments like pre bath clip saturday and bath and blow dry sunday. We shall see.
Becky

Princess Bambi the bunny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:59 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

beckyboo wrote:
Cindy
Zoey is good just very scared and usually poops in the tub or table but at home I give her breaks to potty and relax. I found a groomer I loved who grooms at her home but her family smokes and Zoey comes home reeking of smoke! I don't want her breathing all that in.
One groomer said she started to poop so she put Zoey back in the cage to go. Hello Crate trained dogs will not go in a crate/cage!! So once back on the table she pooped again! She is a nervous pooper and we feed her at night she still goes!
My husband offered to bathe her but control freak me doesn't quite trust him to do the job properly. :dk
and my grooming table is broken so I am not sure I can sit on the floor long enough to dry her. The screws that hold the legs on are stripped(and the "wood" is wearing away from the screws too)
Maybe this weekend I can take the two days to do small increments like pre bath clip saturday and bath and blow dry sunday. We shall see.
Becky

There is no reason you can't do a little (and I do mean a little) at a time when it comes to grooming Zoey. I tend to baby Oliver these days, so often his grooming is done in stages. Bath at night and then the next day we'll sit on the floor and I clip his head, ears, back, and tail while he is laying down, roll him over to do his belly and underarms. If he's up to it I have him stand to do his legs, or save those for the next time. He is pretty good being groomed this way, not all dogs would be. Do what's best for you and your girl.

Quality, two-sided bandanas for your treasured companion.
Made in the
USA under the direct supervision of
Genuine American Cocker Spaniels!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:21 am 
Forum Legend

I am finally boot free!!! But I have a brace to wear for six weeks and then I see ortho again. She said I can wear "regular shooes" over the brace (yeah right). The only shoe I have that will go over it is chuck taylors. Not exactly dress code compliant. So I have to find some kind of shoe that will fit but I hate to buy shoes to wear only for six weeks! If it was only warmer I'd break out the flip flops. I even tried my sisters shoes which are a whole size bigger and they just won't go over the brace. Oh Well it could have been worse (like surgery)
Thanks
Becky

Princess Bambi the bunny

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:22 pm 
Forum Legend

:Clap I'm not sure what kind of a brace you have, but it doesn't sound all that comfortable with any shoe. Have you tried Crocs? I had to switch to them after my foot was rebuilt because my foot is an entire size larger now than the other one. Humpty Dumpty can be put back together with pins and screws and a hammer. :OMY

Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:55 am 
Forum Legend

HA HA HA Terry! I found some ancient crocs at the back of my closet. (they are so ugly black mary jane style) They are like 12 years old. And they do stretch over the brace. Not exactly fashion forward but I guess they'll do for now.

Princess Bambi the bunny

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:19 am 
Forum Legend

Crocs rock!!