Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Prayers Please
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:44 pm 
Active Forum Member
 YIM  Profile

Since Christmas Eve I've been struggling with pain and swelling in my lower left jaw. I've been to the urgent care clinic twice, my doctor twice and the emergency room once. I've had blood work, ultrasound and CT scan done of my neck and jaw. Sadly all of the doctors are stumped as to what is going on with me, no abscesses, stones or tumors and no infection in the blood work. The pain I'm in has been near debilitating. I have an appointment with an ear, nose and throat doctor tomorrow morning and I'm asking for prayers that he can find an answer to what is wrong. Thank you all, this has been a very long 2 month ordeal and I'm praying that the end is in sight.

Waiting at the Bridge:
Charlie (minature dachshund) May 1989 - June 2002

Post subject: Re: Prayers Please
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:04 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

Prayers are coming but....did they check you out fore TMJ?

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:18 pm 
Forum Legend

Adding my prayers, Nichole. I have a friend that has TMJ and she had a hard time getting it diagnosed.

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:39 pm 
Active Forum Member
 YIM  Profile

Thank you both for your prayers, it means so much. They have ruled out TMJ, the ER doctor actually brought up a possibility of Trigeminal Neuralgia, which is a nerve disorder. Reading the research on it, it sounds terrifying and the thought of brain surgery to fix it is even more so. I just hope and pray I can get answers and relief of the pain.

Waiting at the Bridge:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:08 pm 
Forum Legend

Nicole so sorry younare in pain. when read your initial post Trigeminal Nerve disorder rang a bell. Its difficult to be diagnosed and even dentists miss the diagnosis. At this point if everything has been ruled out this is the next diagnosis. Ask them to do a Nerve ConductionVelocity test of the Trigeminal Nerve this will determined how the nerve is working. This condition is very painful and often is mistaken with teeth pain or gum pain. I am familiar with the condition fromsome of my patients but also as my twin sister has it. In her case is bilateral so both sides of her face hurt. It can occurred in any of the branches of the Trigeminal nerve been the mandibulary branch the one that goes to the jaw. Please keep calm and maybe is something else but is always good to know about possible conditions. Good luck.

Mom to dear Holly AKA Holly Caramel Candy 10/99-02/13 who went to meet Monchi, Sasha 1 and 2, in the Rainbow Bridge.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:30 pm 
Forum Legend

I will be thinking of you tomorrow and say a prayer for a diagnosis and easy treatment.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:37 am 
Active Forum Member
 YIM  Profile

Thank you all for the prayer! My pain has actually been tolerable today. I just got home from the ENT and I go for an MRI tomorrow and we're moving forward with treating this as Trigeminal Neuralgia. I'm starting an anti-seizure medicine and will see how that goes with treating the pain. They did a whole battery of tests on me and have been able to rule out any tumors or malformations in that sense. Please say a prayer we have the answer and the treatment will work. The power of prayer on this forum works miracles and I am so thankful for all of you! :hp

Waiting at the Bridge:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:51 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

I am just seeing this. I will add my prayers. :hp

owner of
THE SHAVER SHOP INC.
We sell and repair Electric Shavers and Clippers
We have a complete HAND SHARPENING SERVICE
Visit our website to see some of the things we do and carry
www.shavershop.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:18 pm 
Forum Legend

I will positively be praying for you. I hope meds handle the problem no matter what it is, over and above surgery. I was thinking about you today.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:04 am 
Active Forum Member

. . . . sending prayers to you; please take care and do believe in the miracle of prayers!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:06 am 
Active Forum Member
 YIM  Profile

Thank you all for the prayers! I am extremely grateful for all of them. I was able to get into the neurologist on Friday morning, I was a pest and called multiple times to get on the cancellation list since they wanted to make me wait over a month before they would see me. So at 9:30 am on Friday they called and said if I could be there at 10:00 am they could see me. Lucky for me my boss is an awesome lady and didn't even let me finish my question before she told me to run out the door and don't worry. They have confirmed that I do have trigeminal neuralgia, they have upped my dosage of the anti-seizure/never pain medication and will continue to do so for the next 2 weeks and then we'll recheck my pain levels. More than likely I will be on this medication for the rest of my life but if I can control the pain with it instead of the surgery I'll go for it. Thankfully the pain has been much more tolerable and I've been able to get back to some 'normalcy' of my life. Thank you again and I appreciate it more than I can put into words.

Waiting at the Bridge:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:07 pm 
Forum Legend

Thanks for the update. I so hope the meds work. I can't even imagine what this has been like for you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:40 pm 
Forum Legend

Nicole I am glad you are feeling better. i know is a painful condition. I want to give some words of encouragement, my sister was diagnosed 27 years ago and she stopped medication many years ago as the pain was under control and she had no flare ups or problems. After a while on Dilantin one of my cousins which is a physician wanted to put her on something less stronger as Dilantin needs to be monitored. she was placed on Neurontin and she only takes it if she has a flare up. in her case she cant take the flu shot as this flared up her condition once she had the shot. Good luck and hope this is just a temporary situation.

Mom to dear Holly AKA Holly Caramel Candy 10/99-02/13 who went to meet Monchi, Sasha 1 and 2, in the Rainbow Bridge.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:52 pm 
Active Forum Member
 YIM  Profile

Well I'm back to ask for more prayers! Sadly this last month plus on the medications haven't produced the results we were hoping for. I'm still in pain and getting serious flare ups on a regular basis. I received word late yesterday that I will be going to see a neurosurgeon next Friday to look at doing a form of brain surgery called Microvascular Decompression. I'm still nervous but considering the amount of pain I've been in (I had a flare up last Saturday night that left me unable to sleep, speak, or breathe normally) I'm ready to take the next step in getting this resolved and fixed.

I'd also like to ask for some prayers for my step-dad. He was admitted to the ER on Thursday night with super high heart rate and low blood pressure. They have finally determined that his heart is not beating properly and one portion is beating faster than the other causing the blood to just stay in his heart and not go out to the body. If they cannot get it controlled with medication he will need to be 'shocked' to get it back to a normal rhythm. They are keeping him in the hospital until at least Monday. I feel bad for my mom as she has me here in Michigan with all my issues and my step-dad down in Tennessee. At least she still has her sense of humor as she told me on the phone "Ok can we make a future rule that only one person in the family has a medical issues at a time???" Thank you all I know how powerful the prayers of this forum are and I am humbled to know that they are for me and my family.

Waiting at the Bridge:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:06 pm 
Forum Legend

Sorry to read the meds aren't working and sorry about your step dad as well. Healing thoughts and well wishes for all, including your mom.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:33 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

will hold you and your whole family in my prayers. I keep thinking that god is greater than all of this.
You have my prayers for sure.
:hp

owner of
THE SHAVER SHOP INC.
We sell and repair Electric Shavers and Clippers
We have a complete HAND SHARPENING SERVICE
Visit our website to see some of the things we do and carry
www.shavershop.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:59 pm 
Active Forum Member
 YIM  Profile

Thank you both so much! I know the prayers for my step-dad worked because he was able to come home on Monday without having to have his heart shocked and he's doing good, still has to keep an eye on his heart but at least he is home and doing much better. :YAY

I've got just over 24 hours to go before I meet with the neurosurgeon, I'm starting to get nervous but I have faith that God has put me in the right hands so far, I don't see him stopping anytime soon. I've been diagnosed in a matter of months, most people take years to be correctly diagnosed, I think God made sure the doctor that treated me in the ER was there as she knew about it because a co-worker had it. If she hadn't brought it to my attention then I may still be struggling with a diagnosis. So thank you again for the prayers, I'll be sure to check back in after the appointment on Friday.

Waiting at the Bridge:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:31 pm 
Forum Legend

Hoping all goes well with your appt. Yes please do keep us posted.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:05 pm 
I Own A Zim Dog!

Hi Nicole, I'm just seeing this and will certainly be holding you up in prayer. Hopefully and prayerfully you'll get a good report from your neurosurgeon on Friday and he'll be able to help you. I have TMJ (controlled with a bite plane at night) and that is bad enough. Be sure to update us when you can.

Sorry about your step father, too. Hope he has a good cardiologist taking care of him. I'll be praying for your mother, too! :hp

Gail

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:59 pm 
Active Forum Member
 YIM  Profile

Well I have a plan of action! It's a little scary but I know this is the right path. The neurosurgeon that I met with on Friday was very nice, extremely knowledgeable and ready to help me take the next step. I have scheduled micro vascular decompression surgery for May 14th. It's a form of brain surgery but what it will do is put a barrier around my nerve that will keep the blood vessels off the nerve. I'll be in the hospital for 2-3 nights and then off of work for the next 4-6 weeks. It's a little scary but I'm ready for the pain to stop and to get off all of these medications that leave me out in la-la land feeling drunk. :raz

Thank you again for all of your prayers, I know God is listening and it's helping to keep me calm.

Waiting at the Bridge:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:30 pm 
Forum Legend

Prayers will continue this procedure does the trick. I believe I'd be doing it too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:36 pm 
Forum Legend

Adding my prayers, Nicole. My gosh, you've been through a lot in the last couple of months. I will also pray for your neurosurgeon that he/she will be able to fix the problem and ease your pain. You sound like a very positive person, and that will only serve to help you through this. Please keep us posted.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:47 pm 
Forum Legend

Continued prayers for you, Nichole, also for the surgeon. Nerves are just tricky and boy do they cause pain when they are irritated. Believe!

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci