An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Dogs and HardWood Floors HELP
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:43 am 
Forum Legend

Hi: Hoping someone can shed some light on this - the house we bought - has a hardwood floor under the carpet in my living room. The carpet needs to go - trying to convince hubby that the hardwood floor with an area rug would be much better. The flooring is solid hardwood not laminate. It needs to be refinished and is there a sealer that is best for the pro to put on it that keeps it in better shape. And what if one of the dogs (by accident) has an accident - hasn't happened but..............son said that would ruin the finish. I know nail trimming is a must. Any info / hints on this would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Dogs and HardWood Floors HELP
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:30 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

For poly I highly recommend this product-it is the bowling alley poly you hear about-we used this last year in our rental and it is so much better than Minwax or other poly you get at HD or Lowes-1 gallon did 2 coats on a 240 sq ft floor.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... =1690&BASE

I have 2 hardwood floors-my dining room is ruined from our previous dog Katie-she had nails like a bear and did pee on it when she had separation anxiety after losing her best bud Nicky. Plus one year the xmas tree leaked, and this year the door leaked-this floor has been a loss from the beginning. It is a birch. Someday we will refinish it! Our living room is newer and has red oak, and I keep it good by scatter rugs everywhere they would walk, however I still get claw scratches from the dogs if they run the wrong way. I keep their nails trimmed, but they still can dig in. I cannot figure out how to keep beautiful, perfect hardwood floors with 3 dogs except to cover them!

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:29 am 
Forum Legend

xxxx

Last edited by Em Mease on Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:53 am 
Forum Legend

We have engineered hardwood that comes already sealed so I'm not much help. I would just ask the company who does the refinishing what they recommend. I'm sure many others have also had the same question and they would know best what would protect the wood.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:16 am 
I Rescue Cockers

There is some type of finish I think called Swedish finish that is hard and can withstand any issues. We just had hardwoods put in our house, they are tiger wood, but we also purchased an 11x14 rug to cover most of the flooring.

Hannah-black/white, 06/01/02
Tonka-black/tan, 04/24/13
Roxi-Boston terrier, 05/28/2007 (grand dog)

Tucker-blue roan and tan, 10/24/02-02/12/13 (rest in peace sweet boy)

"Cockers make my heart smile."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:14 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Sadie's claws seem to scratch our floors much worse than Rusty's did. Rusty was with us 13 1/2 years without many scratches. In her year and a half with us she has destroyed the finish of both the wood and the marble. Yes, if they have accidents on the wood and you don't get it cleaned up shortly thereafter, the finish is gone - same with the marble.

I think runners in the main travel areas would be a great help.

:hp

Sadie, CGC, TDI, our darling li'l black girl who adopted us 9/5/09, honorary BD 6/9/08
Rusty, we'll love you forever, 9/22/95 - 4/2/09
Mopsie, you're always in our hearts, 1978 - 1994

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:45 pm 
Active Forum Member

I can't recommend a product but will say if you are getting the floors sanded and sealed just make sure who ever does it knows what they are doing and puts at least 3 coats of sealer (whatever they use). It's those finishing coats that make all the difference. I will say a satin or duller finish is easier to live with than a shiny one and if you are going to stain, the darker the wood is the more dust it shows.

The durability is in that finish so having enough coats is the trick. It's a big job (that usually means being out of the house for a few days), but it's worth it. For sure a site sealed floor is a great way to go as it's totally sealed with no gaps or joints to allow any mishaps to seep into the boards. That is the key when it comes to not having to worry much about dogs having accidents as it stays on top where it can be cleaned up without much problem. I can't say the same for the type of wood that is factory sealed as the one time I had that, it got ruined in short order (dishwasher overflow and no way to stop that water from seeping into the boards where they joined and any scratches went right through the finish on the first try).

One thing I have learned is when you do start to see a finish getting a little iffy (some place will get worn after years...more like decades), is to get it fixed before the wood is completely showing through. There are some really good refinishing products you can DIY out now for that sort of thing but there must be some finish left for them to work properly (or so I was told). That is the type of thing to check into if you do have urine damage (and that would take a lot of urine over quite a long period of time on a site sealed floor). That kind of worry is a moot point to me because the same amount of urine in a carpet would completely ruin it too and be a big smelly problem to deal with while something like hardwood is an easy clean up. I've never had any issue with that kind of problem because it will just puddle on the finish and the newer sealing products can withstand that sort of thing much better than when people just used to wax/oil or shellac their wood.

You might also get lucky. When I pulled up the carpet in one house the hardwood was perfect as it had been covered by carpet since the day the house was built (1962) and needed nothing but some basic cleaning and the staple holes filled. I can also tell you that when I was pulling up that carpet I was shocked at what I found (and this was in a house a clean freak had lived in and the carpet was under 7 years old at the time). Much better to have area rugs (that can be totally cleaned) on hard floors.

BTW, I've been the one who has caused more damage to floors than my dogs. I've always clipped their nails the second I hear tapping and the only floor they ever hurt of mine (and I've had 6 different houses with hardwoods) is the one that had the factory sealed maple which seemed to ding just by looking at it the wrong way. The old oaks have never had an issue at all. All it takes for me is forgetting and moving a chair without protectors (note...put protectors on everything to avoid that happening) and you soon decide that wood has a lot more character when it looks like it's had some use.

As far as extra motivation for hubby, that house will be worth more with hardwood than carpeting. All it takes is a quick look at the MLS to see it's always mentioned as a feature because people see it as desirable. So, hardwood offers more house value, is more sanitary, and way easier to live with than carpet. The hardwood will also last longer than any carpet, so investing now will pay off compared to carpet which you might get 10 years use from if you are lucky.

Jean

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:49 pm 
Active Forum Member

JeanG has some good points. We also bought an old house with [unfinished] hardwood floors under the carpet. Unfortunately one area was damaged because of previous owners' dog (the dog actually did his #1 on carpet and it leaked underneath darkening wood color). We were going to replace that part, but we use a runner there anyway so there is no point anymore. Our finish is 10 years old, and I don't think I will need to refinish again for another 5-10 years. As a whole hardwood floors can last a lifetime. By the way you can also tell your hubby that he will save money and time with hardwood floors. They are easier and faster to clean, you don't need to spend money on new carpet every few years. They are great for those with astma or those who worry about germs.
As for leaking I need to echo what others have said. If you clean right after the accident damage you shouldn't incur any damage. And when it comes to other types of leaks, they shouldn't really happen in a house. If something leaks, it's a number 1 issue to fix as it can create a lot more problems than a damaged floor. I hope this helps. I've been living with hardwood floors all my life and I wouldn't replace them for anything else.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:55 am 
Forum Legend

Thanks all and esp JeanG ! I'm hoping when we pull this carpet to find it isn't to bad. I have pulled along one corner/edge and find a beautiful oak color ! I will also order a large carpet for where the pups "live". We also found few pieces of new flooring in it's original box so we know exactly what we have. :sm Our son has an acquaintance who is highly recommended by several people - and he does put 3 coats of a "hard"finish down.
Luckily - our living room is an add-on - so we can just seal that off and not have to move into the RV.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:13 am 
Forum Legend

We have hard wood and linoleum floors and a circular house pattern so we've had lots of laughs at the pupper's expense as they race around and skid through every corner.

We have the Swedish Finish on our upstairs floors and I LOVE it. It is a professional application and comes in a water based finish (required in the state I live in) or a stronger chemical based (not allowed in some states) but it is tough stuff and is used in hotel and businesses because it stands up to traffic and salt. We had one cat that used to have accidents on it and so far, no staining. I'd recommend the satin finish too because it isn't as slippery (especially if wet) and looks nice if it were to be scratched a little.

If using the poly based sealers, a marine type will also give you a tough finish that will stand up to liquid spills and an occasional accident. It is also pretty tough and is something that the average home owner can do themselves. We have it on our oak staircase and after 20 years, still have no scratches or evidence of wear.

I do still use throw rugs to help catch water off of wet feet and so the dogs have a soft spot to lay. They also help them with the skidding in the corners.

Oreo = Black/White Tuxedo Cat
Tsukiyo = All Black Cat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:41 am 
Active Forum Member

I know nothing about dogs and hardwood floors but Em that picture of Rudy in the kitchen is adorable. He is just the cutest. :hp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:08 pm 
Forum Member

Hi,

I am new here from Melbourne, Australia and looking for good rugs as my floor was ruined by my pets. So I used rugs plus carpet and I am okay with it. But one problem is that you must trained your pet first. Because if someone pee on it, the smell will not go unless you buy a new rug or carpet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:50 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

After three dogs having ACL surgeries due to sliding on hardwood/laminated floors, I am done with them. Just too costly!

Kudah-French Brittany rescued 06-2008
Blu - Buff Merle born 05-13-2010/Home on 08-28-2014