Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Scarlet (Great Dane service dog) is having puppies
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:29 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

This isn't cocker related, but may be of interest to dog lovers. Scarlet, a Great Dane at Service Dog project is in the final days of her pregnancy ... you can see her, and the birth, live on Explore.org. Here's the direct link for anyone interested: http://explore.org/live-cams/player/great-dane-service-puppies-indoor-puppy-room Service Dog project (also known as Crazy Acres!) is located in Ipswich, MA. They breed, raise, and train Great Dane service dogs for those with mobility problems, especially Veterans, people with MS, and Parkinson's. They welcome volunteers and have an open house every Sunday. They have a series of live cameras running 24 hours a day ... and live (with sound) mail call each day around 5:00 EST (sometimes a little later). Great fun and educational.

Quality, two-sided bandanas for your treasured companion.
Made in the
USA under the direct supervision of
Genuine American Cocker Spaniels!

Post subject: Re: Scarlet (Great Dane service dog) is having puppies
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:47 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Just last week I saw on Ch 5 WCVB a story about a 10 yr old who had a Great Dane therapy dog assist her with walking, and I thought they said the dog came from Ipswich! Small world isn't it!

http://www.wcvb.com/news/service-dog-gi ... d/31510810

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:43 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Sandy H wrote:
Just last week I saw on Ch 5 WCVB a story about a 10 yr old who had a Great Dane therapy dog assist her with walking, and I thought they said the dog came from Ipswich! Small world isn't it!

http://www.wcvb.com/news/service-dog-gi ... d/31510810

Yes Sandy, that was Bella Burton and her sixteen month old service dog, George! They are such an amazing team, and totally adore one another. In the beginning, there was some concern about these two "youngsters" being teamed up, but they fell in love with one another from the beginning. They had several trial weekend home visits before it was decided that they were a true match made in heaven, and they were officially given to one another. There is one other young team, Hunter and Wendy, from Service Dog Project that are doing so well together, too. At SDP, they let the dogs choose their people, and it seems to work out for everyone. It is such a fun group ... and the live cameras from Explore lets us watch these amazing animals from birth to actual working service dogs. I was interested in the beginning because I heard that they use positive "choice training," similar to how I trained Oliver, and it was hard to find others using this method. It's more of educating your dog instead of training, with some great results.

Made in the

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:17 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

I'm guessing that tomorrow will be puppy day. That poor Mama looks so huge and uncomfortable.

Made in the

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:57 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

FINALLY it looks like Scarlet is going into labor. Puppies (and it looks like there will be many) should be arriving soon. SDP and Explore have two live cameras ready to capture the blessed event. The new birthing cam will have sound so people can listen as well as see what's happening. Poor Mama looks like she's read to burst.

Made in the

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:30 pm 
I Own A Zim Dog!

:run Hi Cindy, Do you know anything about Scarlet's puppies? I watched the puppy cam for quite awhile last night and Scarlet was still "great with puppies." She looked like she was ready to pop. I thought she was in labor as she appeared uncomfortable, was licking her bottom, and a sweet looking lady came in and was being very attentive to her. Finally the lady got a blanket and laid down next to Scarlet. However she didn't stay that way for long and got up and was checking Scarlet. Finally Scarlet laid on her side and went to sleep and this went on for several hours and around 12:30 a.m., I went to bed. Early this morning (6 a.m. PDT) I got up to check on Scarlet and she still hadn't delivered her puppies. The sweet lady came in and a man and Scarlet was standing up and they took her out of the room. I'm wondering if she was having problems and was being taken to the vet. I've checked off and on today and they had a couple of men "chatting on the link and now there are some ladies in an office talking. Do you know what has happened with Scarlet? She's sure a beautiful girl and I surely hope she's had her puppies and that everything is alright!

Gail :paw :hp :paw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:51 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Gail Mc wrote:
:run Hi Cindy, Do you know anything about Scarlet's puppies? I watched the puppy cam for quite awhile last night and Scarlet was still "great with puppies." She looked like she was ready to pop. I thought she was in labor as she appeared uncomfortable, was licking her bottom, and a sweet looking lady came in and was being very attentive to her. Finally the lady got a blanket and laid down next to Scarlet. However she didn't stay that way for long and got up and was checking Scarlet. Finally Scarlet laid on her side and went to sleep and this went on for several hours and around 12:30 a.m., I went to bed. Early this morning (6 a.m. PDT) I got up to check on Scarlet and she still hadn't delivered her puppies. The sweet lady came in and a man and Scarlet was standing up and they took her out of the room. I'm wondering if she was having problems and was being taken to the vet. I've checked off and on today and they had a couple of men "chatting on the link and now there are some ladies in an office talking. Do you know what has happened with Scarlet? She's sure a beautiful girl and I surely hope she's had her puppies and that everything is alright!

Hi Gail! I was sure that Scarlet was going to "pop" last night ... she was starting with contractions, but as of a few minutes ago, she still hasn't had the babies. Scarlet was bred three times over a four day period. Counting from the first tie, I believe that 63 days would have been yesterday, if she took on a successive mating, it's still within expected time. Her first litter had twelve pups, one was stillborn. These folks are very devoted to these dogs and have a host of constant, regular volunteers ... one is a retired MD, and there is a vet on the Board of Directors. This is such an amazing program with so many fun supporters. I feel for that poor girl. When puppies start to arrive, they will keep the cameras rolling and also turn on sound on the nursery cam so we can get a blow by blow description of what is happening.

Made in the

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:16 pm 
I Own A Zim Dog!

:run Thanks, Cindy, for the information. I am observing Scarlet now and she looks very ready to deliver. Perhaps you are watching, also. I can tell that Scarlet is a very much loved doggie as the lady that is attending to her is very lovingly taking care of her. Hope she delivers soon. It's exciting to watch. Hope you are watching, too!

Gail :paw :paw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:23 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Gail Mc wrote:
:run Thanks, Cindy, for the information. I am observing Scarlet now and she looks very ready to deliver. Perhaps you are watching, also. I can tell that Scarlet is a very much loved doggie as the lady that is attending to her is very lovingly taking care of her. Hope she delivers soon. It's exciting to watch. Hope you are watching, too!

Gail :paw :paw

:wv Hi Gail, it's a little after two in the morning here, but I'm watching on and off. Gail, this is such a wonderful group, where the dogs come first. It's breathtaking to watch what they do for their dogs. Carlene White, the owner/director of SDP is 77 years young and marches to her own drummer. She used to be an animal trainer for television, commercials, and the movies. She is a prime example of what you'd expect form a old school, hard working, put on no airs, common sense Yankee, LOL (with a mathematical degree from MIT). With record breaking snowfalls this year, she was out with her bucket loader (tractor) moving mountains of snow, while their small staff and army of volunteers worked around the clock to make sure runs were kept clear and every need was met for the Danes and all other critters living there. Just a week ago, one of the SDP Danes saved a fellow dog's life when a call came in with a need for blood during a delicate surgery. Within minutes, two SDP Great Danes were there to donate blood -- so they save their own kind as well as those of humans! Carlene, a widow, has handed over her twelve plus acre farm, home, and out buildings (one keeping a bedroom for herself) to insure that SDP will go on for years to come. Their breeding dogs live in homes with their families, retuning often to visit and to whelp their pups. Other dogs on the farm get to go on overnight and weekend visits home with volunteers on a regular basis. Carleen's daughter wrote a book about the origins of SDP and her mother's escapades; I've given several copies to friends who found it quite a fun read.

Made in the

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:29 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

At the moment, Scarlet seems to be resting comfortably, so I'm going to try to join her and close my eyes for a bit ... I'll leave my computer on with the volume turned up ... when puppies start arriving there will be sound to go along with the live streaming video. Here is the link to the camera with sound: http://explore.org/live-cams/player/service-dog-project-nursery-cam

Made in the

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:08 pm 
I Own A Zim Dog!

Cindy wrote:
At the moment, Scarlet seems to be resting comfortably, so I'm going to try to join her and close my eyes for a bit ... I'll leave my computer on with the volume turned up ... when puppies start arriving there will be sound to go along with the live streaming video. Here is the link to the camera with sound: http://explore.org/live-cams/player/service-dog-project-nursery-cam

It's midnight here on the Central Coast of California and, the same as last night, Scarlet is napping. Guess she is resting up for the big event. She is sure a sweetheart. The recent link you gave me gives a more close up shot of Scarlet. I'll leave my computer on, also, and hope I hear it when the sound comes on. The way Scarlet looks, those puppies will surely come tonight :hp .

Those folks are certainly very loving and caring, hard working, etc. What a wonderful lady to leave her home and property to this group. If I lived on the East coast I would count it an honor to volunteer for that group.

My Grandson, Bill, left this morning from San Diego to fly to Groton, CT. Bill is a career Navy Submariner. Both Bill and his brother, James, are graduates of the Submarine School at Groton. I attended Bill's graduation but James' graduation was cancelled at the last minute because of financial constraints.

Back to check on Scarlet and then to bed. Thank you Cindy for all the wonderful background on Scarlet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:12 am 
Forum Legend

[quote="Cindy. Carleen's daughter wrote a book about the origins of SDP and her mother's escapades; I've given several copies to friends who found it quite a fun read.[/color][/quote]

Cindy: Would you mind sharing the name of the book? I can't watch live births - I'm too nervous about the outcome - but I would love to read this book!

Thanks,

Tina

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:25 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

TinaP wrote:
[quote="Cindy. Carleen's daughter wrote a book about the origins of SDP and her mother's escapades; I've given several copies to friends who found it quite a fun read.[/color]

Cindy: Would you mind sharing the name of the book? I can't watch live births - I'm too nervous about the outcome - but I would love to read this book!

Thanks,

Tina[/quote]

Hi Tina, I don't know if the book is still available through Amazon, but you can get it directly through this link (an unsigned copy is $9.55): http://www.servicedogproject.org/index.php/using-joomla/extensions/components/content-component/article-categories/95-ddcp

Made in the

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:04 am 
I Own A Zim Dog!

:paw
Cindy wrote:
TinaP wrote:
[quote="Cindy. Carleen's daughter wrote a book about the origins of SDP and her mother's escapades; I've given several copies to friends who found it quite a fun read.[/color]

Thanks,

Tina

Hi Tina, I don't know if the book is still available through Amazon, but you can get it directly through this link (an unsigned copy is $9.55): http://www.servicedogproject.org/index.php/using-joomla/extensions/components/content-component/article-categories/95-ddcp[/quote]

Thanks Cindy for the "book link." I just ordered my book.

Still watching Scarlet!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:34 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

LOL, I just checked in and that poor dog still hasn't started to deliver! She did vomit and have diarrhea this morning, and wasn't too interested in food ... these are typical signs that the pups are on their way. Oh, and Scarlet did have a temp drop yesterday -- that often happens 24 hours before delivery. When she had her first litter, she came in from a potty break and while still standing, turned quickly to look at her back end, and out popped puppy #1 while she was still on her feet. It's a good thing people were close by and were able to actually "catch" the puppy! :gig I'm starting to feel like I'm waiting for grandchildren to be born.

I'm guessing eleven pups again this time. Any others want to guess?

Made in the

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:53 pm 
I Own A Zim Dog!

Cindy wrote:
LOL, I just checked in and that poor dog still hasn't started to deliver! She did vomit and have diarrhea this morning, and wasn't too interested in food ... these are typical signs that the pups are on their way. Oh, and Scarlet did have a temp drop yesterday -- that often happens 24 hours before delivery. When she had her first litter, she came in from a potty break and while still standing, turned quickly to look at her back end, and out popped puppy #1 while she was still on her feet. It's a good thing people were close by and were able to actually "catch" the puppy! :gig I'm starting to feel like I'm waiting for grandchildren to be born.

My guess is 13 puppies! :paw :hp :paw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:48 pm 
Active Forum Member

I'm going to guess 9... big ones!

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:04 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

My guess is 13 puppies! :paw :hp :paw [/quote]

:th-up

Made in the

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:04 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

SusanT wrote:
I'm going to guess 9... big ones!

:th-up

Made in the

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:11 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

I'm sure Scarlet's "Mommy" and the midwives at SDP must be totally exhausted, and the first pup is yet to hit the ground. They have been on around the clock puppy watch/wait for several days. It's great that additional volunteers have stepped in to do all the routine chores around the farm so that Scarlet can have her ladies in waiting and favorite people by herside.

Made in the

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:57 am 
I Own A Zim Dog!

Cindy wrote:
I'm sure Scarlet's "Mommy" and the midwives at SDP must be totally exhausted, and the first pup is yet to hit the ground. They have been on around the clock puppy watch/wait for several days. It's great that additional volunteers have stepped in to do all the routine chores around the farm so that Scarlet can have her ladies in waiting and favorite people by herside.

No Great Dane puppies yet! Scarlot is just not ready to deliver her pups. She is getting beautiful care. She has her very loving "ladies in waiting and favorite people by her side." Such wonderful people! :hp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:41 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Gail Mc wrote:
Cindy wrote:

No Great Dane puppies yet! Scarlot is just not ready to deliver her pups. She is getting beautiful care. She has her very loving "ladies in waiting and favorite people by her side." Such wonderful people! :hp

These people are so devoted to these dogs and do an amazing job with them. Very few pregnant dogs would be so relaxed and affectionate with that many people. Did you happen to catch them spoon feeding Scarlet? They do this from the time the puppies are weaned -- it teaches them to sit quietly and wait for their name to be called and then are given a spoon full of food. It's an easy way for a dog to learn to make eye contact and focus when its name is called. As poor Scarlet is waiting to "pop" out puppies, this is from Carlene this morning, " MOSTLY BECAUSE SOMEBODY FORGOT FEB HAS ONLY 28 DAYS SO BIRTHING GOT PREDICTED 2 DAYS EARLY AND I NEVER CHECKED AND WE HAVE BEEN ON ALERT TOO SOON." :ROFL

Made in the

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:24 pm 
I Own A Zim Dog!

Cindy wrote:
Gail Mc wrote:
Cindy wrote:

These people are so devoted to these dogs and do an amazing job with them. Very few pregnant dogs would be so relaxed and affectionate with that many people. Did you happen to catch them spoon feeding Scarlet? They do this from the time the puppies are weaned -- it teaches them to sit quietly and wait for their name to be called and then are given a spoon full of food. It's an easy way for a dog to learn to make eye contact and focus when its name is called. As poor Scarlet is waiting to "pop" out puppies, this is from Carlene this morning, " MOSTLY BECAUSE SOMEBODY FORGOT FEB HAS ONLY 28 DAYS SO BIRTHING GOT PREDICTED 2 DAYS EARLY AND I NEVER CHECKED AND WE HAVE BEEN ON ALERT TOO SOON." :ROFL
:hp We're up to SIX puppies and Scarlot has more to deliver! They are beautiful puppies and, of course, Scarlot is getting the very best of care. Yes, I did see them spoon feeding Scarlot. I didn't realize the background of this spoon full of food. I just thought it was to get nutrition into the dog. Thank you so much, Cindy, for sharing this amazing experience! :paw :hp :paw :Parti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:46 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Gail Mc wrote:
Cindy wrote:
Gail Mc wrote:
Cindy wrote:

:hp We're up to SIX puppies and Scarlot has more to deliver! They are beautiful puppies and, of course, Scarlot is getting the very best of care. Yes, I did see them spoon feeding Scarlot. I didn't realize the background of this spoon full of food. I just thought it was to get nutrition into the dog. Thank you so much, Cindy, for sharing this amazing experience! :paw :hp :paw :Parti

:hi Gail :wow We have certainly been rewarded for the wait. I hope others are watching, too. These pups all have big futures ahead of them! I LOVE Service Dog Project and the work they do. :Clap

Attachments:
tn_photo14.JPG
tn_photo14.JPG [ 146.07 KiB | Viewed 4587 times ]

Made in the

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:55 pm 
Forum Legend

still at 6 pups. She seems to be moving along slower at giving birth.